• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Interest on legal expenses and victim expenses.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest on legal expenses and victim expenses.

Hi Folks,

If one pays for a solicitor's service with a credit card can the interest accrued on the card be added to a claim for expenses?

In my case, I've had to wait more than 12 years. I'm still under Scottish Law at the moment but it would be interesting to hear how the English deal with this particular problem.

Another question I have is whether a victim can claim any expenses either as a client or an LiP. For example the payment of a private investigator to find a key witness.

Cheers,

Rico
    Tags: None

Re: Interest on legal expenses and victim expenses.

Moved to right forum and tag for [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]; [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] , [MENTION=7765]Joanna C[/MENTION];
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Rico View Post
      Hi Folks,

If one pays for a solicitor's service with a credit card can the interest accrued on the card be added to a claim for expenses?

In my case, I've had to wait more than 12 years. I'm still under Scottish Law at the moment but it would be interesting to hear how the English deal with this particular problem.

Another question I have is whether a victim can claim any expenses either as a client or an LiP. For example the payment of a private investigator to find a key witness.

Cheers,

Rico
      Legal costs' is a broad term and such claims usually means the winning party - 'following the event' - receives their lawyers' costs. If it is a tort type claim for damages, then lots of things technically can be claimed for. The credit card is different potentially as it relates to a means to pay for lawyers fees and not necessary an expense incurred, which relates to the case. I suppose the argument here is why should one person who pays cash, or by debit card, or bank transfers to a lawyer, be any different for a person who chooses to pay by credit card. In this country, England, the LiP can only claim per hour at £18, as far as I understand. However, in principal an LiP can claim for costs, I believe not more than 75% of the qualified legal professional's costs. There is a case where a party used a retired policeman as a private investigator and I believe this was an acceptable cost. It's whether it's reasonable and proportionate: CPR 44, mainly. It was a civil case but apparently applies to criminal proceedings also, I say this because you use the term 'victim.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rico View Post

Hello Rico, your question is a tad hypothetical.

Can you say whether the issue relates to a solicitor who was instructed by you to deal with a private matter (such as a Will, conveyancing, divorce etc)?

Or do these costs relate to a Costs Order as a result of litigation which you have paid by credit card via your solicitor?

You say "I have had to wait 12 years" does that imply you are a solicitor in Scotland waiting for payment from a client?

More details please

(Scottish CPRs differ from English CPRs https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rules-...rocedure-rules )

Di

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The enquiry relates to a cost order in favour of the victim. Legal expenses having been funded by cash advances from credit cards.

I'm a client/LiP in Scotland seeking to maximise an expense claim.

The solicitor responsible for submitting my claim doesn't seem comfortable asking for the interest that has been incurred on expenses these past 12 years. Nor does he believe an LiP or his client is entitled to any of their own expenses.

The problem seems to be that he is terrified that the auditor may take a dim view and strike out the whole claim if he asks! This wouldn't be good as he is still owed at least £20K!

The claim is currently £68K. Just servicing the interest on that figure has cost over £200K. If it had been allowed to accumulate we'd be looking at a debt of over £1 million.

This is far from insignificant and I'm surprised there doesn't seem to have been any rules set out for these situations.

It wasn't a choice to pay with credit cards. It was the only credit available, having had my creditworthiness illegally annihilated and been prevented from buying a family home while house prices were rocketing.

Cheers,

Rico.

Comment

This discusses the issue a bit:

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2013/10/8023/7

Crazy that the recommendation is for interest to run only after an account is lodged.

Interest should run from the date the expense is incurred. Common sense lacking as usual.

The law has prevented us lodging an account in 2004 while litigation is ongoing and the bank have been perverting justice ever since.

Cheers,

Rico.

Comment

There's this too....

From attached document

"Judicial expenses are necessary to assist in achieving equality of arms and to balance the pursuer against the defenders who may have greater resources available to them."

"..until interest becomes recoverable on all outlays from date of payment, it will continue to quietly contribute to the shortfall between judicial expenses and actual cost of litigation. "

Working on it.

Cheers,

Rico.
              Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X