• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hoist Portfolio v Andy77

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hoist Portfolio v Andy77

Originally posted by Joanna C View Post
    Have yiou sent a s.78 request under the Consumer Credit Act with a £1.00 fee for a true copy of your agreement? If you haven't then I suggest you send one tomorrow.

The default Notice is defective on service, the agreement is currently unenforceable. May be a good idea to to remove the documentation now from the public thread. I will ask @Kati
    I did a CCA and CPR as per the links at the top of the page as soon as I received court papers back in August. They didn't send anything til Dec.
    Last edited by Andy77; 8th February 2017, 08:36:AM.

Comment

Sorry about this, but it looks like they have sent me the terms and conditions, for some reason either me or the mrs had separated it out when having a look through it. We're still debating who's fault it is :colbert:

Last edited by pt2537; 8th February 2017, 11:40:AM. Reason: personal details left on terms

Comment

Originally posted by Andy77 View Post
        it looks like they have sent me the terms and conditions
        You need to remove those documents since your name and address is visible on the Ts & Cs.

Di

Comment

Ive edited the post as you left your personal info on there. Id say that the documents produced here are the same as were produced in HFO v Wegmuller which i dealt with and which can be found on BAILII
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
            Id say that the documents produced here are the same as were produced in HFO v Wegmuller which i dealt with and which can be found on BAILII
            Is that a good or bad thing?

Comment

A good thing in my view. The agreement was full of errors and contradictions

Heres the judgment http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/Misc/2012/19.html
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Its perhaps worth pointing out that we didnt get to the section 78 point as the signed agreement that was prduced didnt contain the prescribed terms and was declared unenforceable as a result, but the section 78 issues i raised were also equally robust and the terms you have are the exact same ones which were served in Wegmuler, right down to the cancellation box which itself has issues

Comment

The section 78 is outlined in the case of Carey V HSBC which was one of my cases while I was Head of Consumer Credit Litigation at MSB Solicitors . Paras 60 & 173 in particular. The link can be found here http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format...+(v)+AND+(HSBC)

Comment

A good thing in my view. The agreement was full of errors and contradictions

Heres the judgment http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/Misc/2012/19.html
                    Thanks for the link. I've blacked out all the details on the applciation form. Without that its just about legible and I can't remember how I did the application back in 2003. The application form looks like it was filled out by a computer, so maybe it was done in a branch. Which seems strange because its one of those fold out forms. Maybe they also have those on the system to fill in.

But reading through that case you linked it talks about the terms and condtions not being with the form. I can't recall what I had when I did the application. But those terms and conditions on A4 I posted pics of must have been sent to me after the application as they contained my details already pre-printed on to them. The A3 photocopy of the terms and conditions leaflet I posted is a separate document to those A4 prints.

One other thing I thought I'd ask. The original court papers were filed Aug 22nd. I did my CCA and CPR requests and then I filed a defence when I didn't get what I requested. The claimant asked for an extension to get the information needed. Mediation got in touch with me at the beginning of Dec with a hearing date for March. It was after this that Hoist sent the information through, far more than the 28 days. Does this matter?

Comment

Its perhaps worth pointing out that we didnt get to the section 78 point as the signed agreement that was prduced didnt contain the prescribed terms and was declared unenforceable as a result, but the section 78 issues i raised were also equally robust and the terms you have are the exact same ones which were served in Wegmuler, right down to the cancellation box which itself has issues
                      Im
                      at work at the minute but wil post up the points on the agreement when im at home (and not working)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy77 View Post
                        One other thing I thought I'd ask. The original court papers were filed Aug 22nd. I did my CCA and CPR requests and then I filed a defence when I didn't get what I requested. The claimant asked for an extension to get the information needed. Mediation got in touch with me at the beginning of Dec with a hearing date for March. It was after this that Hoist sent the information through, far more than the 28 days. Does this matter?

I may have answered that question in post # 24

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                        I wouldn't write to the Claimant and their solicitor to say the claim is Statute Barred at this stage since your post implies you've not pleaded SB in your Defence.

Depending on what's revealed in those documents you've been sent, you may need to file an Amended Defence. They disclosed the documents you requested four months after the claim was issued and about three months after you filed your Defence which you had to do in order to comply with the court timetable.

If an Amended Defence is needed then you will need permission from the court unless the Claimant's solicitors are willing to consent to your Amended Defence being filed.

What is the Trial date in March and what is the date for filing Witness Statements? It's typically 14 days before the Trial but sometimes it's date specific.

Di

Comment

Now I've got this paperwork its raised a lot of questions for me.

How do I approach the court date in a months time and what do I need to do with the witness statements they've sent me?

Does the fact they sent this information 3 months after the defence was filed, and well over the original 28 day extension make any difference?

Is it enforceable?

Do I need to amend my original defence?

Comment

You've not pleaded Statute Barred in your original Defence. You believe this debt is SB.

Some issues can be dealt with in your Witness Statement, while introducing new legal arguments can't necessarily be raised that way.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                              You've not pleaded Statute Barred in your original Defence. You believe this debt is SB.

Some issues can be dealt with in your Witness Statement, while introducing new legal arguments can't necessarily be raised that way.

Di
                              No I didn't put SB in my defence because, as you rightly pointed out earlier, I couldn't as I had no details to look at for the account. Now they've sent me some paperwork I've seen nothing that indicates any acknowledgement or attempted payments since July 2010.

Really its what way to go now. Do I apply to amend the defence and what do I need to put in the witness statements for the hearing next month?

Comment

The court hearing for this is the 13th March and I have to get the witness statements done 2 weeks before that so I've probabaly got less than 2 weeks now to get everything together

But to be honest I'm not sure what to do now in regards to filling in the witness statement or in regards to the claim potentially not being enforceable and also the possibility of having to amend my original defence.

Can anyone offer any help and guidance please based on the information provided and what I should do now. Thank you.
                                [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] [MENTION=7765]Joanna C[/MENTION]
                                Last edited by Andy77; 22nd February 2017, 10:30:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X