• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unwilling Creditor & Data Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwilling Creditor & Data Protection

Hello,

A used to be a customer of a mail forwarding service in an effort to keep my home address secure. This company after about 5 years of being a customer, went in to voluntary liquidation. They have submitted my full name and forwarding address as a creditor for an amount of about £20. I'm super bewildered that my details could be made public given how many laws there are with protecting peoples personal information. I have a service address, and the company had a billing address I signed up with, but they have not used either.

The liquidating company involved does not answer the phone, I have reached out to the liquidators but still awaiting a response. I have reached out to Companies House, who have basically said there are protections for directors but not creditors and there's nothing I can do about it as a creditor whether the data is accurate or not. I spoke to ICO, who also have said in a nutshell, they'd investigate the data controller, but as they no longer exist, it would be up to me to speak to Companies House about the data to ask them to adjust/remove the data and as they've said no, that there is no alternative route except legally. I have also spoken to Citizen Advice, who also state that if Companies House and ICO both say nothing I can do, that's pretty much the end of the story.

I'm now potentially looking in to moving because I know how easy it will be for anyone to link my mailing address to my real address. I do a lot of work online, and after working in online community management, some of the stuff people attempt to dig up on you is scary. Up until now I've kept very good control on my personal data, but this is the first ever blip.

Is there really nothing that can be done?
    Tags: None

Re: Unwilling Creditor & Data Protection

Originally posted by Enom View Post
    Hello,

A used to be a customer of a mail forwarding service in an effort to keep my home address secure. This company after about 5 years of being a customer, went in to voluntary liquidation. They have submitted my full name and forwarding address as a creditor for an amount of about £20. I'm super bewildered that my details could be made public given how many laws there are with protecting peoples personal information. I have a service address, and the company had a billing address I signed up with, but they have not used either.

The liquidating company involved does not answer the phone, I have reached out to the liquidators but still awaiting a response. I have reached out to Companies House, who have basically said there are protections for directors but not creditors and there's nothing I can do about it as a creditor whether the data is accurate or not. I spoke to ICO, who also have said in a nutshell, they'd investigate the data controller, but as they no longer exist, it would be up to me to speak to Companies House about the data to ask them to adjust/remove the data and as they've said no, that there is no alternative route except legally. I have also spoken to Citizen Advice, who also state that if Companies House and ICO both say nothing I can do, that's pretty much the end of the story.

I'm now potentially looking in to moving because I know how easy it will be for anyone to link my mailing address to my real address. I do a lot of work online, and after working in online community management, some of the stuff people attempt to dig up on you is scary. Up until now I've kept very good control on my personal data, but this is the first ever blip.

Is there really nothing that can be done?
    Could this have been done by the liquidator?

In this instance are you owed money ( a creditor) or do you money (a debtor)?

There are many very easy ways for firms to find you if they really want to.

nem

nem

Comment

Re: Unwilling Creditor & Data Protection

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      Could this have been done by the liquidator?

In this instance are you owed money ( a creditor) or do you money (a debtor)?

There are many very easy ways for firms to find you if they really want to.

nem

nem
      Hey - yes it was done by the liquidator who I assume published the wrong address set (or was the only address set they had), the company owes me a minor amount of money (about £20), something I really am not bothered about and would happily waive if it meant removing my details off the internet. Firms and such are welcome to have my address, its more joe public I am concerned about given the nature of my work online.

Thanks,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X