• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Copyright, Intellectual property rights etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright, Intellectual property rights etc

I'm carrying the cudgel here on behalf of a friend.
    His company is called J Bees Millinery and he has a website at the same name as a .com address.
    www.jbeesmillinery.com

I have found another website with exactly the same name but with a .co.uk ending that points directly to one of his competitors.
    www.jbeesmillinery.co.uk

When you land on the .co.uk site it immediately transfers to the owners domain of Nigel Rayment who is a well known milliner himself.

What's the legality of this?
    It's obvious that J Bees Millinery is a victim of an undisputed attempt to gain from someone else's name but as far as I can tell there's no copyright of the name, nor any trademark.

Just seems so diabolical to do this as openly as it's been done.
    Tags: None

Re: Copyright, Intellectual property rights etc

The name is a trademark - regardless of whether it is registered with the IPO. Therefore it is an infringment of the trademark JBeesMillinery - it isn't just a domain name it is the name of the business

The .com address was purchased in 2013, the business has been known as J Bees Milinery since 2008 - that's a trademark.

The .co.uk wasn't purchased until 2015 and is purely an attempt to fwd mistypes of the domain to a competitor. Have a read https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/help/dndr/udrp-en to begin with ref code of conduct and dispute resolution.

Has any discussion been had between JBees and Nigel Rayment regarding the domain ? You may be able to sort it out with a letter and a request for him to transfer the domain to JBeesM...

In future, if you buy a .com domain.... get the .co.uk as well xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Copyright, Intellectual property rights etc

Bit of info on here in Plain English - http://www.adlexsolicitors.co.uk/dom...-trademark.htm
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X