• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** WON ** car dealer giving me the runaround - 30 day right to reject

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** WON ** car dealer giving me the runaround - 30 day right to reject

Im really hoping someone can help me out here - i am at my wits end with a dodgy dealer, who is trying to duck out of any responsbility!!!

grab a cuppa, this is a long one

I viewed and purchased a well known hardy brand 2006 4x4 with 160k miles in mid July this year for 6500 of my hard earned british pounds ( 160k not particularly high mileage for this brand of 4x4 )
    I met with the owner/dealer ( who told me he was a mere salesman ) who showed me the car, and told me it had a full service history, owned by his friend etc etc excellent motor, recently serviced, very well looked after no expense spared etc...

The garage was extremely impressive with lots of luxury cars parked around and big signs with their business name, the dealer spoke of many prestigious clients and multiple locations and long trading history so i thought i was in safe hands and took him at his word regarding the state and history of the car..

on test drive i did notice some defects that he assured me were minor and not unsafe and so i negotiated the price down 500 quid. he said for that price no warranty, i said ok... He wrote ' trade sale ' on the receipt but knowing full well i was a personal buyer! he said his director had told him to do this ....

In the first 3 weeks of car ownership i started feeling more and more unhappy about the car - first off a massive paint stain had been badly hidden by rubbish car mats, and there was no way it will ever come out.. then i found the defects that i were told were minor on viewing the car, were actually quite dangerous and cost a lot more to fix then he first told me ... i was away when i found this out so i just told my guy to go ahead and get it fixed as car was needed for a well deserved holiday when i got back from a conference.

Last week ( day 27 of car ownership ) i got back from my conference and we set off for a quick family holiday.
    Before we left we checked oil, fluid, lights and tyres as normal before starting a long journey. All seemed to be normal.

The car had been running for around 2.5 hours ( its first long journey ) when we heard 2 knocks from the engine. We immediately pulled over onto the hard shoulder, and stopped and called recovery.
    The car was then recovered to a garage at our destination area for further diagnostics.

The car was inspected the next morning and from removing the bottom plate it was very obvious that a catastrophic failure had occurred. There was a man-fist sized hole on the side of the engine block!

They quoted a new engine with parts and labour coming to 7-8K

I then contacted the dealer to inform them of what had happened, they spoke to the garage, which had explained the issue, they intimated to them they may get it recovered, but informed me that he would need to speak to his director ( who i since found out doesnt exist) and to call again the next morning

When i called again the next morning the dealer informed me the best he could do is offer a repair at ' trade cost' which would be less than what the garage it was in was offering but still in the region of 3-4k. I rejected this and informed him that the vehicle is not of satisfactory quality nor fit for purpose and that i wanted to return the vehicle for a full refund. Dealer informed me that because i declined the warranty ( for 100 extra) , that i had waived any right to a ' comeback ' and a refund would not be forthcoming. The conversation got quite heated with Dealer accusing me of ' tricking' him. He advised me i had my facts wrong and that i would not win a court case, and he was recording our conversation and that he had CCTV footage of me (illegal, no signs up saying so ) and i was being recorded ( 20 mins into the call )
    He advised if i tried to return the vehicle it would not be accepted and he would accept no responsibility if the car was delivered back to the area/place of business.

Further to this, Dealer informed me that i needed to contact his lawyers and he would not speak to me any further regarding the matter. I tried to contact the above solicitor, only to be told they only correspond with Dealer and not with me. I rang Dealer back and informed him of this but didnt hear anything for a number of days.

I spoke then to citizens advice, and to my home insurance legal helpline who informed me i had short term right to reject under consumer rights act. i explained exactly what had gone wrong, how long id had the car etc and they advised me i was within my rights to write a letter formally rejecting the car ( see attached ) which was sent via email that day and recorded delivery next. It gave dealer 7 days to refund me before court action.

Holiday ruined due to no transport, we had to fork out for car hire back home and recovery of the car ( 500 all up ) and also look into getting the car inspected to get the the root of the engine issue but that said- there were also other significant faults at the time of sale that he clearly knew about but lied about not to mention the paint in the boot!!!

Then i started questioning exactly who i was dealing with, the website had no clues such as company number, so i looked the dealer up on various social media and plain as day it states hes the owner and MD! i couldnt believe it. i had even addressed my letter before action to someone who didnt exist ( but luckily i included him and the name i guess he is trading under )
    Spent a day trying to track down who he is - almost a dozen companies in the last 4 years he has run, all dissolved and all dormant then compulsory strike off due to not filing accounts. none of them directly related to car sales either. i dug out the receipt and no company number, just a trading name ( doesnt exist in CH ) , with a company name underneath ( which is in CH records but unrelated to car sales) , which is also dormant and not in his name - turns out its his mum is named as the director!
    He also told me he is FCA regulated as he offers finance, yet i cannot find him at all on the register....unless there is another company i dont know about?

His solicitors finally for in touch to say theyre acting for him and theyre not entertaining any claim as they have seen no evidence. i wrote back to them explaining that in essence if a car cant last 30 days and <1000 miles given what i paid for it ( 6500) then thats good enough evidence its not satisfactory quality. i offered them the car back at my cost which is not inconsiderable in return for a full refund in 14 days, and guess what...

The dealer and the solicitor both decide to go on holiday! apparently it will be ' some weeks' before i hear back.

That doesnt help me, costs are rising and im struggling without a car. I need to get this sorted asap, but im not sure exactly WHO i should be putting on the claim form?
    * Dodgy Dealer Trading as Dodgy trading name or
    * Dodgy Dealer Trading as Dodgy trading name(registered Company name)
    * Dodgy Trading name trading as Registered Company Name
    * Dodgy Dealers Mum trading as Registered Company Name

Also how long is reasonable to wait until i file the claim? I called CA and also MCOL helpdesk, CA said to ask MCOL as if i file on Tuesday ( which is after the 7 days Letter before action ) and hes away 'some weeks ' he might not get to defend it and it might get set aside and/or viewed as ' unfair' by the judge, but on the other hand, i cannot wait ' some weeks ' and MCOL helpdesk said file whenever i want, he has 14 days to answer anyway and it depends on what view the judge takes on it.

I cant help but feel that the dealer is giving me a massive runaround here, i dont even know for sure if he is actually on holiday or not, who he really is or what company hes actually trading under, what company hes running under the FCA ( not warranty related as he told us he ' does his own warranties(?) ) and how to be sure i am claiming against the right person?

Any advice would be very much appreciated and i hope you all enjoyed your lovely cup of tea

Tags: None

Re: car dealer giving me the runaround - 30 day right to reject - please help!

Hi and welcome

Had a quick read, and my initial reactionis he is talking pure b******t, and has done thisbefore and has a solicitor who is morally bankrupt
    The problem is going to be working out who to sue, and whether or not they have any funds/assets to pay any award made by a court.

What name is on the receipt?

How did you pay for the vehicle?

Comment

Perhaps post up the receipt (with any personal info to you, removed) and any other sales documentation so we can help determine the legal identity of the trader.

If they're a limited company, they must include the company registration number on their website, so it might be "Dodgy Dealer t/a Dodgy Car Sales", which would be the entity you sue.

Comment

Hi All thank you for the replies so far!
        [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] i stupidly paid via bank transfer to his personal account as he gave me some story about card payments being down and he would transfer it to his biz account - he honestly was such a good salesman i fell for it hook line and sinker! He gave me his bank card to read the numbers off and thats how i got his full name ( i remembered it off the card ) and was able to look him up. The law company is a well known one that advises the motor trade on such things.
        [MENTION=80091]CLL1[/MENTION] i do have a picure of the trade logo but im worried about publically identifying the dealer on this thread ( i am happy to answer any PM's on who the trader and company is though ) if that makes sense?

Comment

If the vehicle was purchased from a limited company, then that is who you take action against.

Don't worry about posting up the details of the seller.... name and shame I say.
          This site discourages the use of PMs in the interests of all posters.

Comment

Invoice says Prestige Cars as the main logo and then underneath LVH logistics. then has the address where i saw the car, no company number.

I paid the owner ( mr Holden ) straight into his bank account.

Comment

Are they based in Dunstable/ Leighton Buzzard?

Comment

Yes that's them !

Comment

Which one?
                  Prestige Cars of Grovebury Road, (the firm without even a website!) or
                  Prestige Motor Cars of Glenacres, A5 Watling Street, where you need an appointment to view the cars!

and then there is LVH logistics Ltd at 28 West Street Dunstable.

In the meantme get screen shots or whatever of those sites where he claimsto be the owner etc.
                  Also write down now (for your own reference later) in chronological order all that you can recall about this matter from the time of purchase onwards.
                  You'd be surprised how confused things can become when you aredealing with slippery eels!

Comment

@des8

car dealer........the runaround
                    when you are dealing with slippery 'eels!
                    He will slip up sooner or later!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks,
                      its neither of those companies, if you google "prestige cars leighton buzzard" its the second one down, aka holden and sons, again in companies house that company is dissolved and related to freight transport

ive written absolutely everything down from beginning to end. i have screen shots of everything as well.

still have no idea who to take to court or indeed when?

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                      Which one?
                      Prestige Cars of Grovebury Road, (the firm without even a website!) or
                      Prestige Motor Cars of Glenacres, A5 Watling Street, where you need an appointment to view the cars!

and then there is LVH logistics Ltd at 28 West Street Dunstable.

In the meantme get screen shots or whatever of those sites where he claimsto be the owner etc.
                      Also write down now (for your own reference later) in chronological order all that you can recall about this matter from the time of purchase onwards.
                      You'd be surprised how confused things can become when you aredealing with slippery eels!

Comment

http://www.holdenandsonscarsales.co.uk/contact-us/ ??
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

yes thats them! that ' sales office ' is where i viewed and collected the car.

Comment

IMO you make your claim against Mr Holden trading as Prestige Cars, whose website is ".holdenandsonscarsales.co.uk"

You paid Holden directly, viewed and collected the car from Prestige Car's premises.
                            Invoice was on Prestige Car headed paper. What about receipt?
                            You have social media indications of the connection .

You rejected the vehicle verbally within the thirty days, and confirmed that in writing requesting a refund or you would initiate court proceedings.
                            That is sufficient for a letter before action.

I would give them two weeks from receipt by them of your letter, and if no response was received I would commence proceedigs.
                            No point in hanging around as they would seem to bully people into submission if they can.

Your claim will be below £10000, and so will be allocated to small claims.
                            Even if he employs a solicitor to act on his behalf and should win, you will not be picking up the solicitor's bill.

Suggest you post up your claim form(redacted) so folks here can comment on it for you.

Comment

thank you!!! i am attaching the invoice/receipt and also what he wrote on it

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                              IMO you make your claim against Mr Holden trading as Prestige Cars, whose website is ".holdenandsonscarsales.co.uk"

You paid Holden directly, viewed and collected the car from Prestige Car's premises.
                              Invoice was on Prestige Car headed paper. What about receipt?
                              You have social media indications of the connection .

You rejected the vehicle verbally within the thirty days, and confirmed that in writing requesting a refund or you would initiate court proceedings.
                              That is sufficient for a letter before action.

I would give them two weeks from receipt by them of your letter, and if no response was received I would commence proceedigs.
                              No point in hanging around as they would seem to bully people into submission if they can.

Your claim will be below £10000, and so will be allocated to small claims.
                              Even if he employs a solicitor to act on his behalf and should win, you will not be picking up the solicitor's bill.

Suggest you post up your claim form(redacted) so folks here can comment on it for you.
                              Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X