• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed please.

Hi,

I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice. I've had a good look on here and cant find anything conclusive to my situation, so hopefully someone can help.

Ok, several years ago I was in a marriage where my wife had a bit of a spending habit and a lot of debt was run up, some being in my name. Eventually the marriage broke down and I was left personally in debt for £20k to various companies, I lost my house and pretty much everything as a result of her clearing off.

Eventually I got back onto my feet, met someone new, started a family and when things were looking up debt wise was made redundant. I had a bit of a breakdown and as a result stopped paying debts etc.
    Recently a company called Mortimer Clarke solicitors have made contact with me claiming I owe £1965 for a previous debt, they claim a CCJ was issued against me for this amount back in 2011 which is when they last wrote to me and being mid crisis time I know I didn't reply. I have searched for this CCJ through Trust online (via gov.uk) and now have a document showing nothing listed against me.

I'm aware of the 6yr statute through searching but is this relevant in my case? The debt seems to have been sold off over and over so I don't even know where it originally came from.
    I don't want to get in touch with them asking for proof in case this admits liability of sorts and starts everything off again and I certainly cant afford the demanded payment.

It's stirred up a lot of horrible feelings I thought had long gone

Anyone able to help please? What should I do?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Advice needed please.

Have you checked Trust Online for every possible previous address the creditor could have used for you?

If there is a CCJ issues in 2011 the debt will not be statute barred.

Comment

Hi, welcome to LB,

Mortimer Clarke is a wholly owned firm of solicitors and Part of the Cabot Credit Management group of companies their business is debt purchase
      I think your debt has been bought by Cabot.

The Statute Barred " 6 year clock" stopped ticking on the date a claim was issued.

If judgment was made more than 6 years ago it will not now be on public records.

If this is Cabot they will try to push you into paying.
      I see that MC claim that judgment was made 20011 which means is should be still a public record.

I suspect dirty tricks here as they would have to go back to court to enforce the alleged judgment.

Have you checked credit reference files? If not Noddle is free online and will show any current judgments.

nem

Comment

Who were the Claimants in 2011 when the CCJ was decided? (I doubt it was MC)

Who are MC acting for now?

Receiving a county court claim is not something that people easily overlook or forget.......can you remember receiving one?

**Posts crossed with nem**
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks all,

I've checked noddle and have a clean bill of health, I've searched addresses back to 2007 on the court registers through Trust and nothing is showing.
          I'm certain I would have known about being served a CCJ as it's what I was working so hard to avoid.

Chronologically the companies mentioned are Associates - Hillesden Securities - Aplins - Direct Legal and Colections - Cabot Financial and finally Mortimer Clarke.

The letter recieved today has the re <MEIII Limited> which means nothing either.

Comment

Originally posted by Abimogen View Post
            Thanks all,

I've checked noddle and have a clean bill of health, I've searched addresses back to 2007 on the court registers through Trust and nothing is showing.
            I'm certain I would have known about being served a CCJ as it's what I was working so hard to avoid.

Chronologically the companies mentioned are Associates - Hillesden Securities - Aplins - Direct Legal and Colections - Cabot Financial and finally Mortimer Clarke.

The letter recieved today has the re <MEIII Limited> which means nothing either.
            Marlin Europe 3 part of the Cabot Group, Cabot has restructured and has a number of " holding " companies".

nem

Comment

Associates was a credit card company back in the 1990's I think.
              I remember having one when I was a lot younger.
              Hope that is useful.

Maybe google The associates credit card

Comment

I've done a bit of googling. The associates became citicards but not sure when. Hillsden and DLC were the same group who were bought by Cabot . I'm guessing all the other names are linked.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieM View Post
                  Associates was a credit card company back in the 1990's I think.
                  I remember having one when I was a lot younger.
                  Hope that is useful.

Maybe google The associates credit card
                  Correct another high interest card strangely had " local offices " and an HQ in Reading.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X