• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Colleague admitted to assault - can I whistleblow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colleague admitted to assault - can I whistleblow?

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
    I know you're concerned about disclosing details. Not every touch is assault/ ABH etc. Can you just say the key words - not necessarily a full sentence - of what you believe is a crime? If it's in writing, it's proof under criminal law rules (well public law, if we're being technical). Make sure you cover yourself before you attempt to make a protected disclosure.
    The colleague shoved me really hard and called me racist names. The colleague is denying racially aggravated assault (but that is what the police are treating it as), but did not deny shoving me.

Comment

Originally posted by muriel View Post
      The colleague shoved me really hard and called me racist names. The colleague is denying racially aggravated assault (but that is what the police are treating it as), but did not deny shoving me.
      Touching a female in an intimate place also, is actually assault under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

Comment

Touching a female in an intimate place also, is actually assault under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
        The colleague has not touched me in an intimate place. Just pushed me with a great force.

Comment

The colleague has not touched me in an intimate place. Just pushed me with a great force.
          I was just considering all possibilities for information purposes only. Were you injured, was there any bruising, did you take photographs of any injuries? Although he admitted shoving you he has admitted 'criminal assault.'

Comment

I was just considering all possibilities for information purposes only. Were you injured, was there any bruising, did you take photographs of any injuries? Although he admitted shoving you he has admitted 'criminal assault.'
            I fell over, but did not take any pictures and did not attend A&E, no photographs either.

Comment

I fell over, but did not take any pictures and did not attend A&E, no photographs either.
              Unless the police charge him with an assault type situation, it's not likely to be a crime. It is possibly enough for a crime if the police charge him but do not get a conviction. A charge would be in an interview where they say 'we're charging you with "criminal assault"'

Comment

That was very helpful, thank you
                I shall follow up with the police now to see if they are going to charge the colleague.

Comment

In the context of making a protected disclosure; 'good faith' means that you believe the information to be true. You are protected even if it turns out that you were mistaken.

So, you are covered both on the grounds that you believe a criminal offence has been committed and that the health and safety of (vulnerable) persons is likely to be endangered.

Comment

Originally posted by mariefab View Post
                    In the context of making a protected disclosure; 'good faith' means that you believe the information to be true. You are protected even if it turns out that you were mistaken.

So, you are covered both on the grounds that you believe a criminal offence has been committed and that the health and safety of (vulnerable) persons is likely to be endangered.
                    Thank you for this.

There is no history of abuse towards vulnerable people that I am aware of. How can it be gauged if the health and safety of vulnerable persons is likely to be endangered?

Comment

Thank you for this.

There is no history of abuse towards vulnerable people that I am aware of. How can it be gauged if the health and safety of vulnerable persons is likely to be endangered?
                      It's the possibility of there being an issue working with vulnerable persons that creates the problem not necessarily that was no vulnerable person's endangerment in the past, it's whether it's likely in the future. The law says this: "(d) that the health or safety of any individual has been, is being or is likely to be endangered:" s. 43J (1 (d))

Comment

I agee with Openlaw.
                        It has been established in employment case law that 'likely' means 'could well happen'.
                        You said that this person has been violent in the past and has now assaulted you. A person with such a known propensity for violence could well endanger vulnerable persons (or indeed any individuals).

If you are considering raising this matter with the relevant safeguarding authority then, for your protection, you must put all your concerns to your employer in writing (keep a copy) and give them a couple of weeks to respond before you do so.

Comment

I agee with Openlaw.
                          It has been established in employment case law that 'likely' means 'could well happen'.
                          You said that this person has been violent in the past and has now assaulted you. A person with such a known propensity for violence could well endanger vulnerable persons (or indeed any individuals).

If you are considering raising this matter with the relevant safeguarding authority then, for your protection, you must put all your concerns to your employer in writing (keep a copy) and give them a couple of weeks to respond before you do so.
                          I emailed my manager over a month ago raising concerns as a professional working with vulnerable adults that even though my colleague admitted to the assault, he is still allowed to work.

I also asked for advice in how to raise my concerns, through grievance or through our whistle blowing policy.

I received a reply that they cannot comment as it is confidential and that all is fine since the police are investigating.

Shall I discuss this with my manager again (with an email to follow)?

Comment

Was the reply in writing?

Comment

Was the reply in writing?
                              Yes.

Comment

It was pretty foolish for your employer to respond that all is fine because the police are investigating.
                                It proves that although they were aware that one of their employees is being investigated by the police for assaulting another member of staff they have taken no action to prevent or limit this employee's access to the vulnerable persons that this employer has a duty to protect.

I think that your best bet is to raise this matter again in writing.
                                As they haven't informed you of their grievance or whistle-blowing procedures, just set it all out in a letter.
                                Start from scratch. Lay it out in chronological order giving dates and who proffered/ received what information. Write as if you are telling your manager's boss what's happened so far and this is the first he/she has heard of this matter.
                                This will then be in fact and law a whistle-blowing grievance regardless of the name the employer chooses to give it.

Let us know if you need any assistance compiling it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X