• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gas pipe through sewer pipe unusual one need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas pipe through sewer pipe unusual one need advice

Hi everyone, as I say it is an unusual one. This forumn is the only place I have found something similar.
    Seven years ago the gas network was upgraded. We started to suffer with rats. Never even occurred that the two could possibly connected.
    Basically we have been dealing with the problem ever since. Lots of costs incurred. Finally recently environmental health put a camera down and found the problem. Was yes you have guessed it the gas pipe had been put straight through the sewer. They called water company, who came out to fix.
    We decided to put a complaint and compensation claim with the gas network. Everything was progressing well, they sent a company representative to see us. Who couldn't apologise enough and asked why we had not moved. We was told he was the last box to tick, before we would be compensated.
    Then I received word that in fact they was going to pass it to the contractor who did the work. Was not happy and told them so. I told them that is not my problem they worked for you not me. I never hired them, or invited them onto my property.

The upshot is the multi million pound company, who did the work don't really want to accept responsibility. They have offered us a without prejudice letter for a not very good amount in our opinion.
    Looking for any help or advise. Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Gas pipe through sewer pipe unusual one need advice

Hi Delly4kids & welcome to LB.

Sounds like it could be a mole problem......................honest!

It's a trenchless technique often used by utilities contractors

Here's a video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glpsaCSvZsI

& another
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psLEq0WUSC8
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi and welcome.
      Have you quantified your costs in dealing with this problem?
      I'd go back to the Gas Distribution Network with a figure to cover your costs, plus a figure to cover mental anguish of each member of the family in suffering this problem over the years and try renegotiating their offer.

In the end there is always court but easier to avoid that!

Comment

Hi des8 thanks for your reply.
        Have done that give them the one off costs plus the monthly costs. Did not put down for mental anguish or anything else. Still they sent an insulting offer.
        The other problem is they have passed this onto their sub contractors who did the work. So it is them we are having to deal with now not the gas network.
        Question if anyone knows the answer.
        I believe we should be dealing with the gas network. Which they was dealing with it at first. Then when they had everything they needed to progress claim, then and only then was I told it would be referred to the subcontractors who carried out the works on their behalf. I never hired them, or invited them onto my property. It was a forced gas upgrade. So my question in law who does take ultimate responsibility?

Comment

Refuse to deal with the monkey.
          The organ grinder is responsible.
          In other words the principal (gas network) not the agents (contractors) are liable to you.
          A stiff letter to their CEO will probably be a good place to start.

Comment

Thank You des8. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Delley4kids View Post
              Thank You des8. Much appreciated.
              Was wondering if anyone knows how I should write a letter to the CEO. I still so angry I know if I am not careful it will turn out like a life story of all we have been through

Comment

Really much as you explained in post one.
                Write chronologically, and let your annoyance shine through.
                If you want post up a draft (redacted obviously) and let the guys here comment.

Comment

I agree that it should be the gas company who instructed the contractors to do the work, it sounds like they are trying to palm you off to them. Is there any solution for this, or has the rat issue now been resolved?

You might perhaps wish to include within your letter that if you do not receive a satisfactory response with satisfactory explanation then you will take this further and can complain to the Energy Ombudsman (if its off grid gas there is no ombudsman). Just out of curiosity, apart from Environmental Health putting a camera down, have they taken any action at all? I am aware for example some local councils will get rid of rats free of charge if the matter is still ongoing, but if its a continuous problem then there seems to be some sort of clear negligence and that ought to be investigated.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

This is an unusual case check your home insurance for legal advice cover.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                      I agree that it should be the gas company who instructed the contractors to do the work, it sounds like they are trying to palm you off to them. Is there any solution for this, or has the rat issue now been resolved?

You might perhaps wish to include within your letter that if you do not receive a satisfactory response with satisfactory explanation then you will take this further and can complain to the Energy Ombudsman (if its off grid gas there is no ombudsman). Just out of curiosity, apart from Environmental Health putting a camera down, have they taken any action at all? I am aware for example some local councils will get rid of rats free of charge if the matter is still ongoing, but if its a continuous problem then there seems to be some sort of clear negligence and that ought to be investigated.
                      Hi thanks for responses much appreciated to all. After tears of suffering environmental health finally put a camera down. They found the problem, reported it to water company. Water company put their own camera down. Verified the problem, then sent engineers the following week to repair. No rats since, finally some peace.

Comment

I am no lawyer but I would of thought that the gas network was ultimately responsible. They hired them they work for them. I know that's how it works with employers etc. But I am wondering if it is different, in contract law ie subcontractors.

Comment

The company that hired the contractors is ultimately responsible. Many times the hiring company will try to lay off the blame to the subcontractor. Sometimes the subcontractor is helpful and it gets resolved satisfactorily, other times you have to go back to the principal to get satisfaction.

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone, who may be interested. This is still ongoing, they are doing a right merry dance. Insisting on photos now which I do not have, water company suppose to have some, but they cannot locate them. Then they keep asking for proof of spending lol. Yeah everyone keeps 7 years worth of receipts, for rat poison, traps, air fresheners etc etc. Banging my head against a brick wall, gave them a break down of monthly spends, but they don't seem to be able to use a calculator. I am sick to death of it all now and the back and forth email. I cannot see us being reimbursed at this rate let alone some compensation for the years of hell we have all endured. Including all the kids as well.

Comment

Do environmental health not have records which support your contention?
                              Not necessarily photographs, but a record of their visit, findings and contact with water company?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X