• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

How many days of holiday am I entitled for while on shared parental leave?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many days of holiday am I entitled for while on shared parental leave?

I have worked for current employers for last 1.5 years. Recently I have decided to go on shared parental leave for 26 weeks.
    I was told I would be only eligible for statutory holiday payment (10 days) for the duration i have worked in this current year, which is 6 months.
    Just wondering if that is correct?
    My understanding was although I am going on leave but still I'm employed, and therefore I would receive 20 days of statutory holiday payment.
    Would be very much appreciated if anyone can help. Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: How many days of holiday am I entitled for while on shared parental leave?

Originally posted by Tapash View Post
    I have worked for current employers for last 1.5 years. Recently I have decided to go on shared parental leave for 26 weeks.
    I was told I would be only eligible for statutory holiday payment (10 days) for the duration i have worked in this current year, which is 6 months.
    Just wondering if that is correct?
    My understanding was although I am going on leave but still I'm employed, and therefore I would receive 20 days of statutory holiday payment.
    Would be very much appreciated if anyone can help. Thanks.
    Shared Parental Leave is exactly what it says, ie you share the 6 months (26 weeks) between you both: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/h/d...-employees.pdf

Statutory paternity is different, is paid at £139.58 or 90% of wages (whichever is the lowest): http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1806

Here's the rules on statutory paternity: https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave/how-to-claim

Comment

Thanks for your reply. But I was not exactly looking for this answer. Let me rephrase it,
      "While I am on 6 months leave, what happens to my annual holiday for that period? Am I considered to be working? Would I not receive the holiday payment for this 6 months while I was on leave?"

Comment

Thanks for your reply. But I was not exactly looking for this answer. Let me rephrase it,
        "While I am on 6 months leave, what happens to my annual holiday for that period? Am I considered to be working? Would I not receive the holiday payment for this 6 months while I was on leave?"
        Update, if you suffer a detriment as person on paternity related leave, you possibly could bring a claim to the employment tribunal. The law is that you cannot suffer any detriment that affects your paternity rights: section 47 C, and 48 (1), Employment Rights Act 1996. So, it would seem if you did not accumulate holiday days whilst on Shared Parental Leave and other employees did who were in employment, it could be viewed as a 'detriment' under the law. You're also entitled to one week's pay whilst on paternity/ shared parental leave, apparently.

If you're on shared parental leave, it shouldn't affect any holiday days you've built up. Technically, you're not in work so I don't think you can claim for holiday for the periods you're not in work, be it permitted leave, shared parental leave or anything else. It sounds like discrimination though if you were to forfeit holiday because you want to spend time with your new baby. It would be indirect discrimination for a female most likely, but am not sure whether it would be for a male under Equality law at least. What does your company's policy say about it?
        Last edited by Openlaw15; 12th August 2016, 18:34:PM.

Comment

Shared Parental leave is totally different from accrued annual leave. You state you have been employed currently for 15months. How much holiday do you get in a given year. Is it just the statutory? When does your leave year commence?

Regards

NMNP

Comment

While on shared parental leave you accrue exactly the same amount of holiday entitlement that you would accrue if you remained at work. See 96 in the link below from the Government's website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-and-pay-1.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X