• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Indemnity for tenancy - deed of guarantee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indemnity for tenancy - deed of guarantee

Briefly, there are two students about to rent a house, our son and another boy. Our son needs a guarantor (us) whilst the other doesn't - or at least as far as the landlord is concerned.

But we're not happy to take on 100% of the risk in this way - as this is a joint and several tenancy the end result is that we're effectively acting as sole guarantor for both the boys!

One option is to get the other boy's parents added to the Deed of Guarantee, but that may take a while as the referencing process is slow and inefficient and they may lose the house in the meantime.

So we've thought about accepting a signed and witnessed document from the other lad's parents, which would indemnity us, as guarantors, against any liabilities incurred by their son.

Is this a reasonable way to share the risk, and if so please could someone suggest (or point me to) a suitable form of words for this document?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Indemnity for tenancy - deed of guarantee

If you sign the agreement then there is nothing which obliges the other boy's parents to sign anything to indemnify you.

Have you suggested negotiating with the Landlord and saying whether or not the the other boy's parents can be added as a guarantor? Alternatively what about the option of removing the guarantor clause and perhaps increasing a deposit on the house as additional cover?

Its a standard clause for tenancies such as these so before you sign make sure you know what you are getting into.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks - I understand that, which is why we want a separate document which will indemnify us.

As stated, we could have the other boy's parent added as an additional guarantor, but for various reasons that doesn't fit the required timescale - hence we're looking at this additional document - and agreement between the other parents ad us - which will indemnify us against any losses we're chased which may be incurred by their son.

Comment

So just as I understand this, the boy's parents cant be added as a guarantor, so you are going to sign the indemnity first and then seek a signature from the boy's parents afterwards? If that's the case then you are taking a big risk but as you say you understand that.

As for the indemnity, I would suggest it is made in the form of a deed as that avoids the need for consideration for it to be binding and the time you can bring a claim is extended from 6 years to 12. It should also cover the following:

"This Deed is made on XX XX XXXX"
        1. The name of the parties to the deed
        2. reference to the fact that the deed is made pursuant to the tenancy agreement
        3. the wording of the indemnity would be along the lines of Party 2 shall indemnify Party 1 against all liabilities, costs, expenses, damages, losses and all other reasonable expenses arising out of or in connection with:

(a) ...
        (b) ...
        (c) ...

4. You should put in the governing law and jurisdiction which if its England then it will be governed by English Law and jurisdiction of the English courts.
        5. the execution at the end should be "This deed has been executed and delivered by or on behalf of the parties to the deed on [date] ... " and a witness to the deed also is imperative

The above is just a very simple outline of what should be included - if you don't get it right then your indemnity might be defective and invalid.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X