• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v dasher13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v dasher13

This is my draft new defence after the last feedback. I will make whatever changes you suggest regarding putting in the counterclaim.

My draft defence form:

1: I received the claim C2HKXXXX from the Northampton County Court on 10th August 2016.

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants’ statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: The Claimants’ statement of case does not comply with CPR 16.4 in that it gives inadequate information to enable the Defendant to properly assess his position with regards the claim. In particular, it does not:

(a) identify the nature of the agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the "Act");
    (b) confirm the date of when the agreement was entered into;
    (c) under what term(s) of the agreement the Defendant was alleged to have breached;
    (d) on what date the agreement was terminated, if it was in fact terminated; and
    (e) state on which date the Default Notice was served on the Defendant and the party who served it.

4. Accordingly, the Claimants’ statement of case does provide a concise statement of facts and is therefore not in compliance rule 16.4 of the CPR.

5: The Claimants’ statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6. The particulars of claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

7. Notwithstanding the anomalies set out in paragraph 4 above, the Defendant does not recall ever receiving either a Default Notice or a Notice of Assignment as the Claimant suggests, and the Defendant requires proof thereof.

8. It is denied that Capital One served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

9: On the 11th August 2016 (pre-allocation), the defendant requested from the Claimant, the documents referred to in the statements of case pursuant to CPR 31.14 however, the Claimant has so far failed to comply with the Defendant’s request. The Defendant will also seek to rely upon Expandable v Rubin [2008] EWCA Civ 59 (as per Rix LJ at paragraph 24):

“The general ethos of the CPR is for a more cards on the table approach to litigation. If a party thinks it worthwhile to mention a document in his pleadings, witness statements or affidavits, I do not see why, subject as I say to the question of privilege, the court should put difficulties in the way of inspection. I look upon the mention of a document in pleadings etc as a form of disclosure. The document in question has not been disclosed by list, or at any rate not yet, but it has been disclosed by mention in what, for the purposes of litigation, is another important and formal category of documents. If so, then the party deploying that document by its mention should in principle be prepared to be required to permit its inspection, and the other party should be entitled to its inspection.”

10. Consequently, the Claimant is not only in breach of CPR 31.14 but has also failed to take into account the overriding objective insofar as dealing with the case justly and proportionately and saving expense.

11. On the 11th August 2016, the Defendant requested from the Claimant a copy of the original agreement pursuant to section 78 of the Act. The Claimant is legally required to provide a copy of the said agreement within 12 working days in accordance with sections 77/78/79 of the Act, however the Claimant has failed to comply and so the agreement cannot be enforced.

12. Further, the Defendant can only assume that the Claimant does not have in possession the documents it seeks to rely upon given the lack of response, the result of which amounts to an abuse of process. The Defendant will refer to the dicta of Cooke J in Nomura International Plc v Granada Group 2007 in which he determined that a Claimant who fails to carry out pre-commencement investigations and does not have the requisite information to bring a claim or hopes that something ‘may turn up’ during proceedings, amounts to an abuse of process.

13. Section 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 sets out the consequences of failure to comply with such request and states:

s78 (6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)-
    (a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and
    (b) if the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

14: The Defendant has asked the Claimant if they may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of the Defendant’s defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but the Claimant has so far failed to comply with the Defendant’s request.

15. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

16. It is drawn to the courts attention that the Claimant has failed to comply with the Defendant’s request to provide any documentation and is in clear default of its obligations under s78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and it is averred that the Claimant has no right of action until such time as the default is remedied and the true copy of the executed agreement is produced before the Defendant containing the prescribed terms under Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and signed in the prescribed manner by the debtor and creditor.

17. Therefore since the documents have not been supplied as requested pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the Defendant denies that he is liable to the Claimant and puts the Claimant to strict proof that such enforceable agreement between parties exists.

18. Furthermore, the Civil Procedure Rules in particular practice direct 32 requires that access is granted to the original documents, therefore the Defendant requires the Claimant to provide the Defendant sight of the original credit agreement and any terms and conditions that they seek to rely upon in this action pursuant to PD 32.

19. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that the without disclosure of the requested documentation pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the Defendant has not yet had the opportunity to asses if the documentation the Claimant claims to be relying upon to bring this action even contains the prescribed terms required in Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) which was amended by Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482). The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following —

1. Number of repayments;
    2. Amount of repayments;
    3. Frequency and timing of repayments;
    4. Dates of repayments;
    5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable.

20. The courts attention is also drawn to the fact that where an agreement does not have the prescribed terms as stated in point 10 it is not compliant with section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and therefore not enforceable by s127 (3). The courts attention is also drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the consumer credit act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482) the agreement cannot be enforced

21. I refer to Lord Nicholls of Birkenhead in the House of Lords Wilson v First County Trust Ltd - [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) paragraph 29:

"The court's powers under section 127(1) are subject to significant qualification in two types of cases. The first type is where section 61(1)(a), regarding signing of agreements, is not complied with. In such cases the court 'shall not make' an enforcement order unless a document, whether or not in the prescribed form, containing all the prescribed terms, was signed by the debtor: section 127(3). Thus, signature of a document containing all the prescribed terms is an essential prerequisite to the court's power to make an enforcement order."

22. Notwithstanding the above, it is also drawn to the courts attention that no Default Notice required by s87 (1) Consumer Credit act 1974 has been attached to the particulars of claim

23. It is neither admitted nor denied that any Default Notice in the prescribed format was ever received and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that said document in the prescribed format was delivered to the defendant

24. Notwithstanding point 13, the Defendant put the Claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to the Defendant was valid. The Defendant notes that to be valid, a Default Notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237).

25. Failure of a Default Notice to be accurate not only invalidates the Default Notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but gives the Defendant a counter claim for damages (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119).

26. Without Disclosure of the relevant requested documentation the Defendant is unable to asses if the Defendant is liable to the Claimant, nor am is the Defendant able to asses if the alleged agreement is properly executed, contains the required prescribed terms, or correct figures to make such an agreement enforceable by virtue of s127 Consumer Credit Act 1974.

27. In view of the matters pleaded above, the Defendant respectfully requests that the court gives consideration to whether the Claimant's statement of case should be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim, and/or that it fails to comply with CPR Part 16 and Practice Direction 16.

28. Alternatively if the court decides not to strike out the claimant’s case, it is requested that the court orders full disclosure of the requested documents pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules.

29. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimant bears the costs of the amendment.

30. The Defendant respectfully asks the permission of the court to amend this defence when the Claimant provides full disclosure of the requested documents.

31. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed ………………xxxxxxxx…………………………

Dated .......................5th September 2016........................... ....

Comment

Hi Dasher,

Will try to take a look over lunch and make some comments. A counterclaim is easy as it is added to your defence at the end before your statement of truth - i'll see if I can word something in there sufficiently but a chunk of it we can just refer to your defence paragraphs as most is repeated.

I think Charity calculated your defence to be due by 7 September, if being sent to CCBC then you can file your defence by email on the 7th provided it is sent before 4pm as it is acknowledged as being received on the same day if sent before 4pm. So if push comes to shove then you can file that by then and a cheque payable for the counterclaim sent in the post with a covering letter.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks R0b...I know I have said it a lot of times but I am so grateful. You guys are lifesavers. I's be completely lost without you all.

Comment

I've made some changes, taken quite a bit out because I think it got a bit too word and repetitive in areas, most of the stuff taken out can be used in your oral arguments in court, not in the defence as it needs to be succinct.

Saying that I've had a long day so you might wish to take a read of the amended version I've attached and see if you are happy with it. I'll take another look at it later this evening or tomorrow morning as I really can't concentrate on it for more than five minutes!

You will need to fill in the heading information at the top also where it requires filling in.
          Last edited by R0b; 13th September 2016, 14:39:PM.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you! This looks brilliant to me - I'm so grateful!

In regards to the counter-claim do I enclose a cheque? Can it be a postal order? Who should it made out to and do I need to write any reference at all.

Actually - I'm really sorry - but I do not even know the process for submitting the counter-claim. You mentioned sending a cheque with a cover letter so should I do that today and is there a template for the letter? I would prefer to do a postal order if possible?

This last bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Just one more thing...when I fill in the specific details at the top of the defence is the court the Northampton County Court or the County Court Business Centre or Northampton County Court Business Centre?

Also the thought of going to court really does scare me a little - is it likely to go to court? I have no idea what to say if it does.

How long does the process take from when the defence is submitted? Will a court date be set that is within weeks, or months?

It is all really worrying - although a lot, lot less because of people like you who have helped me so much.

Comment

You can email your defence/counterclaim to ccbcaq@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk and If done before 4pm it will deemed to have been filed with the court today.

You could enclose a cheque yes, or a postal order I couldn't see why not.

Cheques are made out to HM Courts and Tribunals Service

For your covering letter, something short like (make sure to put your name and address)

Dear Sirs,

Re: Lowell Portfolio Ltd v You (Claim Number: XXXXXXX)

Please find enclosed a cheque of £25.00 made payable to HM Courts and Tribunals Service for my counterclaim which was filed with the Court on 6 September 2016 at approximately XX:XX.

Yours faithfully,

NAME
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by dasher13 View Post
                  Just one more thing...when I fill in the specific details at the top of the defence is the court the Northampton County Court or the County Court Business Centre or Northampton County Court Business Centre?

Also the thought of going to court really does scare me a little - is it likely to go to court? I have no idea what to say if it does.

How long does the process take from when the defence is submitted? Will a court date be set that is within weeks, or months?

It is all really worrying - although a lot, lot less because of people like you who have helped me so much.
                  Northampton County Court Business Centre

It may go to court, it may not this is something you need to weigh up yourself. Court can be scary for first timers but this is not the criminal courts, its very informal and usually accommodating. The question is whether you want to fight it or not, and if you don't there's no point wasting time doing all of this and you should be seeking to settle the matter with Lowell.

If you do want to fight it then we can all help and assist you in making sure what to say and along the right lines but it will be up to you on the day to put it across to the judge.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Ok thank you. I am about to email the defence and counter claim across and I will also send it 1st class recorded delivery so it arrives there tomorrow by 1pm with the postal order for £25 enclosed.

Thanks again.

After that do I just wait and then post again in the hope that you will be free to help me even more?

Comment

I really am sorry - one more thing - do I not need to file the defence online on the gateway system as well as email it to the address you have provided??

Comment

I'm not sure if there is an option to file a counterclaim on MCOL? can you see an option to defend and file a counterclaim?
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

I don't know if there is an option to file a counterclaim online, can you see it? CPR 7E says you can file a counterclaim but i've not been a defendant on there before.

If you are unsure maybe contact the court and ask them, however when you email CCBC their auto response does say for all defence/counterclaim responses can be sent to the email i suggested and also done on MCOL.
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

This is the auto-response I have received after emailing the defence and letter regarding the counterclaim postal order...

Is it right?

I have just sent the hard copies first class recorded and they will get there by 1pm tomorrow.

Thank you for emailing the County Court Business Centre’s ‘CCBC AQ’ EmailAccount. We will endeavour to respond to your email within 5 working days (please do not re-send duplicate messages)
                            The County Court Business Centre is a separate entity to Northampton Combined Court and therefore only deal with CCBC and Traffic Enforcement queries. We do not deal with Family, Probate or Bankruptcy matters.Court staff are not legally trained. If your query is in relation to whether you have a valid claim, we will be unable to comment on this matter. You may wish to seek professional legal advice from a Solicitor, Legal Executive or Citizens Advice Bureau. You can also contact Community Legal Advice for free legal advice on 0845 345 4 345 or via their website at http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/
                            Please note that attachments must be sent in a format supported by the software used by the specified court to which it is sent. These formats are listed on Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service website. Attachments sent to a specified court in a format not listed will be treated as not having been received by the court.The time of receipt of a transmission will be recorded electronically on the transmission as it is received.If a transmission is received after 4pm any document attached to the transmission will be treated as filed on the next day the court office is open.
                            If you are having problems completing an electronic form please visit the below link, it contains useful information about using Adobe which may be of assistance: https://acrobat.adobe.com/uk/en/products/about-adobe-pdf.htmlPlease be aware that this is an external link which will direct to you an external site. The County Court Business Centre takes no responsibility for the information contained within this site and cannot answer any questions in relation to the information provided on the webpage.
                            This message is automatically generated; please do not reply to this message.Thank you.

Comment

there is an option to make a counterclaim on the gateway site. It says to complete the defence form and file the counterclaim online....

- - - Updated - - -

It does say that if you file a defence electronically through MCOL then do not send a copy by post. Does that mean as I have already sent it by post I should not do it through MCOL? Would seem to be the case but I am really unsure.

Comment

Edit: If you have sent recorded by 1pm tomorrow you should be fine but double check and keep an eye on it - and make sure to keep a hold of that receipt. Take a picture of it or scan it on a compute incase you lose it in the event of any dispute.
                                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X