• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v dasher13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v dasher13

Originally posted by dasher13 View Post
    Hello all.

On Friday I was contacted by Lowell Solicitors to say they (well Lowell) were accepting my drop hands offer which I made ten days ago for both of us to walk away and bear our own costs with both claim and counterclaim discontinued.

They sent through a Consent Order which actually asked the Judge to rubber stamp both claim and counterclaim being dismissed not just discontinued. We both signed it and emailed it to the court but as it was mid-afternoon Friday I didn't get any confirmation on the day that everything was ok with it.

So attended court this morning and the Consent Order was accepted by the Judge and claim and counterclaim were dismissed.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has helped me with this. Could never have got to this point without you all and am just so very, very grateful. I also want to say a special thank you to R0b, charity and Di who have been brilliant.

Not sure what happens now really and whether I'll have to re-live this all over again in the future but for now relieved!

Thanks again!!

dasher
    Well done Dasher!!

:cancan: nem

Comment

Nice one, dasher.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Well done Dasher!!

:cancan: nem
        Thanks nem and thank you for all of your help too.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          My suggestion of MP was based around precedents rather than any CC decisions, and there's clearly arguments to both sides of the story but lets not detract too much from the thread
          Or we could start a discussion thread on this topic in The Lamp Post zone?

I feel as strongly as you about the way debt purchasers issue proceedings on unenforceable debts but due to my 'day job' I can't always speak my mind publicly.

But you can

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

I feel as strongly as you about the way debt purchasers issue proceedings on unenforceable debts but due to my 'day job' I can't always speak my mind publicly.

But you can

Di
            Good morning, Di.

Count me in for the discussion.

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

But you can

Di
              I will kick start something off towards the end of the week perhaps and then go from there
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by dasher13 View Post
                Hello all.... counterclaim were dismissed. dasher
                Well done fella! And it happened on my birthday too - twice as sweet!

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread but I've followed it with great interest, particularly the discussion between @Diana M @R0b and @charitynjw about the approach of counterclaiming.

I see there was talk of continuing this discussion in the Lamp Post zone but can't find anything (apologies if I've missed it).

I'm only asking because I want to add a suggestion about a potential basis for damages in the counterclaim arising from the principles established in Ferguson v British Gas [2009] EWCA Civ 46 vis-a-vis the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

I've long felt that Ferguson is an untapped source of armoury for those taking on on debt collectors, and would be interested in a discussion on potentially combining it with R0b's interesting tactic of counterclaiming.

Comment

Hello, sorry I have been somewhat lazy on this but also not had the time to fully sit down and kickstart a proper thread.

You make an interesting point, the question is whether the pursuance of a claim which is believed to be enforceable, despite the lack of evidence to prove otherwise would amount to harassment. For myself, I am not so sure right now but I suppose it would depend on the facts of the case and how it arose.

I'll add this to my list to make sure I post something up in the Lamp Post Zone by the end of the week.
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                      Hello, sorry I have been somewhat lazy on this but also not had the time to fully sit down and kickstart a proper thread.

You make an interesting point, the question is whether the pursuance of a claim which is believed to be enforceable, despite the lack of evidence to prove otherwise would amount to harassment. For myself, I am not so sure right now but I suppose it would depend on the facts of the case and how it arose.

I'll add this to my list to make sure I post something up in the Lamp Post Zone by the end of the week.
                      Many thanks for your reply @R0b.

The current case law doesn't make it clear if the enforceability of a debt is a possible defence to an allegation of harassment, but I'm of the opinion that that it's not - the principle being that we don't live in a society where 'X' taking the law into his own hands is countenanced by the belief (however honestly held it may be) that 'Y' has wronged him.

Someone sent me these Particulars of Claim, apparently drafted by a barrister, for damages against Lowell for harassment. I've no idea of the outcome but it's well worth reading.
                      Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X