• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v dasher13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v dasher13

Hi,

This is the first time I have ever had to post on here but looking over threads realise just how amazing the support and advice people receive is - I am hoping I can get some help and advice too.

On 10th August I received a County Court Claim Form issued by Northampton County Court Business Centre for a debt being chased by Lowell (originally a Capital One account). The account is not statute barred and I have acknowledged the debt in the last 3 months - I wrote offering a payment in full and final settlement which was rejected. I then did not receive any further correspondence although Lowell claim to have sent 3 further letters (this is simply not true I promise).

The issue date for the claim is the 5th August 2016 (received 10th August 2016).

The Claimant is Lowell Portfolio I Ltd.

The solicitor is Lowell Solicitors Limited.

The original creditor is Capital One.

The Particulars of the Claim:

1) The Defendant entered into a Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulated agreement with Capital One under account reference XXXX ('the Agreement').
    2) The Defendant failed to maintain the required payments and a default notice was served and not complied with.
    3) The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on 24/06/2015 and notice given to the Defendant.
    4) Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £800.38 remains due and outstanding.

And the Claimant claims
    a) The said sum of £800.38
    b) Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £0.175, but limited to one year, being £64.03
    c) Costs

The debt is not statute barred.

I originally dealt with Capital One and last letter from them was 24/04/2014. I then received letters from Fredrickson International Ltd and then started getting letters from Lowell on 30th December 2015.

Last payment to Capital One was 18th August 2012 I think. Was in a DMP.

The last letter I sent to Lowell was received by them on the 2nd June 2016. I offered to settle on a full and final basis for £180. This was rejected but they wrote to me on the 3rd June 2016 offering 50% discount. I wrote back on 18th June 2016 to say would settle for £300 on full and final basis and I never received a response or any other communication other than the court claim yesterday (10th August 2016). They claim to have sent 3 letters but never received mine of the 18th June 2016 - I promise this is untrue.

I panicked yesterday and phoned Lowell. They tried to talk me into completing the admission form on the phone but I did not.

I cannot get a CCJ as i will lose my job and with children that is the biggest worry you can have. I just do not know what to do.

I have acknowledged the claim form online and indicated intention to defend. I did this as reading other threads I wanted to get extra time to work out what to do - in the hope that people on here could help me. I now have 28 days I think.

I have now sent the CCA Request to the Claimant and the CPR Request to the Claimant's Solicitor's. Is this right? As I said I cannot get a CCJ and had been willing to deal with Lowells and pay off the debt as it is the only one I have having cleared all of the others 3 years ago. When I cleared all of the other debts I had Capital One were the only ones who did not respond to my settlement offer - all of the others did.

I feel completely lost. I have no idea what to do and whether what I have done is right. Please, please help me. I haven't got the money to cleat the debt but I cannot get a CCJ as it would ruin everything and all that I have done in the last 3 years to get back on track and provide for my family.

Dasher13
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Portfolio I Ltd v dasher13

Hi dasher13 & welcome to LB

I calculate that you now have until Wed 7th September to submit a defence.

You've sent both a CCA request & a CPR 31.14 request; did you get proof of posting?

The CPR request; did it mention a 28-day extention? (Are both requests LB templates?)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi charitynjw,

Thank you so much for replying. I have proof of posting for the CCA and CPR request. I sent them recorded, signed for, 1st class today. I used templates which I found on here after looking at the 'first steps' advice after receiving a claim form.

The CPR letter which I sent did not ask for a 28 day extension. Have I messed up already?

Comment

Originally posted by dasher13 View Post
        Hi charitynjw,

Thank you so much for replying. I have proof of posting for the CCA and CPR request. I sent them recorded, signed for, 1st class today. I used templates which I found on here after looking at the 'first steps' advice after receiving a claim form.

The CPR letter which I sent did not ask for a 28 day extension. Have I messed up already?
        The CPR template on here states

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing and confirm your agreement to an extension of the time allowed for me to file my defence as allowed under CPR 15.5 so I may notify the court.
        This is a general extension & is 28 days.
        If this is agreed by the claimant, the defendant must inform the court.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi.

I used the letter from here -

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...y-of-Agreement

I'm now not sure if this is right as it does not include the section about the 28 days which you have referred to.

I used the version considered to be slightly more in depth - the third one down on the link.

Was that wrong?

As I haven't included the section about 28 days what should I do now? Should I send a further letter with that bit included?

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me.

Comment

Hi. I'm sorry I realise I've confused the 2 letters I sent. The CPR letter did include the section about the extension under CPR 15.5.

So I think I did send the right letters.

What do I do now? Do I just wait and see if they send through what they are supposed to in the time allowed? What do I do if they do not comply? I'm really confused and sorry if I sound stupid.

And today I got a Notice of Claim Issue letter from Lowell Solicitors dated 10th August.

I'd really appreciate and advice and help as I'm scared and confused about this. I know that sounds pathetic but I just really need help.

Comment

OK

Just to confirm

You acknowledged the court claim on time?
              You sent the CCA request + £1 to the Claimant?
              You sent the CPR request to the solicitors?
              You obtained proof of postage for both?
              You have not yet received replies from either?

What did the 'Notice of Claim' state?
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi. Yes I can confirm that I have done all of those things.

The Notice of Claim is from Lowell Solicitors and says that they represent Lowell Portfolio I Ltd. It says they have now issued legal proceedings in the form of County Court Claim which I will shortly receive from Northampton County Court as I have failed to make payment towards this debt or respond to our letter of claim.

It then lists principal debt, interest, court fees and solicitor costs - totals 994.41.

It then says 'What you need to do now' and says to call their team to discuss paying the outstanding balance. It says if I can't make the payment in full we can discuss the options for payment. It says they can't help if I do not engage.

It then says if I do not contact them or the County Court within the time specified they may enter a CCJ against me. It then says 'please call us on...'

On the right it names their client, the Lowell reference number, claim number, original company name, original account number and the balance.

Do you need any more information? I'm so grateful to you replying to me I really am - you don't know how much.

Comment

Hi. Yes I can confirm that I have done all of those things.
                  Splendid

The Notice of Claim is from Lowell Solicitors and says that they represent Lowell Portfolio I Ltd. It says they have now issued legal proceedings in the form of County Court Claim which I will shortly receive from Northampton County Court as I have failed to make payment towards this debt or respond to our letter of claim.

It then lists principal debt, interest, court fees and solicitor costs - totals 994.41.

It then says 'What you need to do now' and says to call their team to discuss paying the outstanding balance. It says if I can't make the payment in full we can discuss the options for payment. It says they can't help if I do not engage.

It then says if I do not contact them or the County Court within the time specified they may enter a CCJ against me. It then says 'please call us on...'

On the right it names their client, the Lowell reference number, claim number, original company name, original account number and the balance.

Do you need any more information? I'm so grateful to you replying to me I really am - you don't know how much.
                  IMHO

They've already initiated court procedures, but unless (until) they fully comply with the CCA request, they cannot enforce it.
                  The letter of claim is just bluster, hoping that you will capitulate.
                  I would guess that all they have at the moment is 'media'; absolutely bare-bones info in digital format.
                  They purchase huge portfolios of non-performing debt for 'pence in the pound', then aggressively chase for the full monty.
                  But to progress this through court, they will probably need to try & access the documentation from the original lender, Cap 1.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if they write to offer a big discount. (It saves them money & trouble, so they're still quids in!)
                  In any event, they have 14 days to comply with your CCA request; if it were me I'd wait to see what transpires.
                  & no way would I phone them; if necessary,everything in writing with proof of posting, or maybe email if the occasion permits.
                  Most important - stick rigidly to the court's timetable, even if they say it will take weeks to access info & they'll put you on hold,
                  They try to lull you into a false sense of security, then go behind your back to obtain a default judgement should you fail to submit your defence on time.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok thank you your advice gives me some hope and I really appreciate it.

When you say to stick to the court's timetable what do I do if Lowell are stalling and not sending me anything? I have until the 7th Sept with the court I think (as you said earlier too) and I have just checked online and my letters have been received and signed for by Lowell but if they have 14 days to comply it's going to be really right.

I will definitely stick to the court timetable but what exactly do I do before the 7th if Lowell are not coming back to me? What defence do I file? I'm sorry if this is obvious.

Comment

Ok thank you your advice gives me some hope and I really appreciate it.

When you say to stick to the court's timetable what do I do if Lowell are stalling and not sending me anything? I have until the 7th Sept with the court I think (as you said earlier too) and I have just checked online and my letters have been received and signed for by Lowell but if they have 14 days to comply it's going to be really right.

I will definitely stick to the court timetable but what exactly do I do before the 7th if Lowell are not coming back to me? What defence do I file? I'm sorry if this is obvious.

Top of thread in green - Defence example......it's a templated 'no documents' defence which you can tweak to suit your case.
                      But there's a few weeks to go before you need to submit that, & you can post your defence on here nearer the deadline (suitably sanitised of personal data) for comment if you want to.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok thank you. I will definately do that. You're a life-saver thank you!

Comment

OK

2 other questions.
                          Did you receive a Default Notice from Cap1?
                          Did you receive a Notice of Assignment from anyone? (Letter informing you that the alleged debt was sold to LP1)
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I have a letter from Cap1 dated 18/9/12 that includes a Default Notice. Then the last letter from Cap1 was after I wrote to them about a payment plan and that was on 29/4/14. Then on 9/4/14 I received a letter from Frederickson Int saying they were authorised by Cap1 to contact me to secure repayment of the debt and that all communication must be with them. I then got a letter before action from Frederickson 16/4/14. Then letters from Lowell started in 2015. They offered 40% discount 11/1/16 then eventually a letter of claim 23/5/16 before this court action.

I do not have any Notice of Assignment letters at all.

Comment

Sounds fairly standard to me.

By sending the 2 letters (CCA & CPR), you have shaken their tree; let's see what drops out!
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X