• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Demotion - lawful?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demotion - lawful?

Hi

I hope you can help. I am posting on behalf of a friend, who is amongst other health issues is suffering from depression and unable to do so himself, but will post as 'I' for ease.

I have been facing disciplinary and have now received the disciplinary outcome - disciplinary demotion.

i have checked the handbook which states that 'disciplinary demotion should be used rarely & generally used in capability situation. Seek advice from your HR team'

Could it be safe to assume that disciplinary demotion can therefore only be used on the grounds of capability?

Reasons for the demotion are:

1. Failing to follow the correct procedures, and thereby potentially contributing to large losses within the company.

2. Failing to follow the correct cash procedures & leaving cash vulnerable.

I have been advised that any further incidents of misconduct are likely to lead to further disciplinary action and this could ultimately result in the dismissal from the company.

I have been with the company for 6 years and have a clean disciplinary record.

I really would appreciate your help and advice.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Demotion - lawful?

Originally posted by abeda1402 View Post
    Hi

I hope you can help. I am posting on behalf of a friend, who is amongst other health issues is suffering from depression and unable to do so himself, but will post as 'I' for ease.

I have been facing disciplinary and have now received the disciplinary outcome - disciplinary demotion.

i have checked the handbook which states that 'disciplinary demotion should be used rarely & generally used in capability situation. Seek advice from your HR team'

Could it be safe to assume that disciplinary demotion can therefore only be used on the grounds of capability?

Reasons for the demotion are:

1. Failing to follow the correct procedures, and thereby potentially contributing to large losses within the company.

2. Failing to follow the correct cash procedures & leaving cash vulnerable.

I have been advised that any further incidents of misconduct are likely to lead to further disciplinary action and this could ultimately result in the dismissal from the company.

I have been with the company for 6 years and have a clean disciplinary record.

I really would appreciate your help and advice.

Thank you.
    Hello, Abeda1402

Normally, the employer can take whatever action is necessary if the employee is not performing, as it's potentially damaging to his business to keep someone in a responsible position but who's competence raises questions. There should have been a fair investigation, he should have been permitted to be accompanied by work colleague or union official. Other than that, you may have the employer on 'procedure.' If the procedure is not followed, you could win at a tribunal on a technicality.

Comment

Are the employers 'officially' aware of the health problems? (Note - not just Occupational Health, as there may be issues of confidentiality).

Are OH involved?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Just to add, you cannot unilaterally demote someone as that will be deemed a breach of contract and allow the employee to resign for constructive and/or unfair dismissal. I see the handbook says they should demote but is there anything in your contract which expressly provides the employer to demote you as a sanction? If its non then perhaps it could be considered unlawful - I think if you look at ACAS it also says they should provide for this expressly in the contract.

For it to be deemed lawful, does your contract say that the handbook is contractually binding on you?
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          Just to add, you cannot unilaterally demote someone as that will be deemed a breach of contract and allow the employee to resign for constructive and/or unfair dismissal. I see the handbook says they should demote but is there anything in your contract which expressly provides the employer to demote you as a sanction? If its non then perhaps it could be considered unlawful - I think if you look at ACAS it also says they should provide for this expressly in the contract.

For it to be deemed lawful, does your contract say that the handbook is contractually binding on you?
          It must be procedurally clear though and not be contradictory to the facts, ie the company policy on one thing must be the same in action, ie applied to the employee's situation: Liberty Living plc v Reid (2010) EAT (Case No.0039/10). It's not procedurally clear though where the policy on 'disciplinary' in action contradicts company procedure relating to 'disciplinary demotions:' Liberty Living plc v Reid (2010, EAT).

Comment

Hi

it is difficult to advise fully without knowing the full reason for disciplinary action. If it's purely on health grounds then it will be useful to have the answers to Charitynjw's questions above.

Regards

NMNP

Comment

With the demotion has there also been a reduction in pay or perks? If these are the same I believe the sanction is classed as less serious

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X