• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed with court papers from Howard Cohen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with court papers from Howard Cohen

Hi All,

I have recently received court papers issued by Howard Cohen in respect of an old credit card debt with Barclaycard.

I have spent the last 8 years trying to clear debt etc and am finally getting a decent credit rating.

I made a request for a CCA over 6 years ago which Barclaycard could not supply.

I have not made any payments towards this debt for more than 6 years but I'm not sure if a request for CCA constitutes an acknowledgment.

The debt also became statute barred in January 2016. I have received letters from Robinson Way and Howard Cohen threatening court so I again made a CCA request in January just before it fell off my file. Again, they wrote back saying they could not supply this and they were aware that until they could, the debt was unenforceable in a court of law.

Fast forward to ten days ago and I receive court papers. The original debt was £3707 but they are claiming nearly £6,000 with interest and their costs applied.

I acknowledged the form online stating I would defend this. So have about ten days to do so.

What do I do now. Do I defend on the grounds of it being statute barred or unenforceable due to lack of CCA. How do I defend, do I fill in more papers, do I include the letter from Barclaycard dated January.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sue
    Tags: None

Re: Help needed with court papers from Howard Cohen

If you have acknowledged then you have about 33 days from the issue date give your defence.

You write out your defence and send it to the court before 28 days after service. You will be using both items of no CCA AND statute barred.

Comment

Many thanks for the speedy reply Ostell.

Do I write my defence on the papers issued or in a separate written letter. Is there specific wording I use. Do I send it to the court only. I have the letter from Barclaycard stating they are unable to fulfil my request - do I include a copy of that in my defence. I acknowledged the claim online. Do I submit my defence online or by post?

Apologies for so many questions, just never done this before.

Comment

No do not write it in the space on the form issued, you will be sending to the court as a separate letter/email just before the 28 days are up.

There is specific format and wording to be used (to make life easy for the judge) and there is an example somewhere on this site. Someone will know where to locate it. Put your defence on here first for critique.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          No do not write it in the space on the form issued, you will be sending to the court as a separate letter/email just before the 28 days are up.

There is specific format and wording to be used (to make life easy for the judge) and there is an example somewhere on this site. Someone will know where to locate it. Put your defence on here first for critique.
          http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...t-Court-Claims
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I was hoping to submit my defence online as I don't have access to a printer. Is there any reason not to?

My defence is short and sweet:

1. The Claimant's claim was issued on 15th July 2016.
            2. The Defendant contends that as this is a claim in contract and an excess of 7 years have passed since any cause of action may have accrued, any alleged debt is therefore statute barred pursuant to section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980.
            3. The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £3,707.73 or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.
            4. In January 2016, a formal request was sent for a copy of the original agreement pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.
            5. The Claimant has failed to comply with S78(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and, by virtue of S78(6) Consumer Credit Act 1974, cannot enforce the agreement.

Do I need to change anything?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

Originally posted by suesueb View Post
              I was hoping to submit my defence online as I don't have access to a printer. Is there any reason not to?

My defence is short and sweet:

1. The Claimant's claim was issued on 15th July 2016.
              2. The Defendant contends that as this is a claim in contract and an excess of 7 years have passed since any cause of action may have accrued, any alleged debt is therefore statute barred pursuant to section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980.
              3. The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £3,707.73 or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.
              4. In January 2016, a formal request was sent for a copy of the original agreement pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.
              5. The Claimant has failed to comply with S78(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and, by virtue of S78(6) Consumer Credit Act 1974, cannot enforce the agreement.

Do I need to change anything?
              You should deny all claims made by the claimant unless specifically admitted by you.

Thanks for the replies so far.
              The template defence when tweaked/personalised is pretty good at covering all bases.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Don't forget the statement of truth.

Comment

Hi all,

In reference to the above, I have now received a letter stat that this matter is being referred to a small claims court. I have forms to fill in along with the right to mediation.

I need to know how to take this forward. The letter states that this is 'defended'.

I am defending this claim based on it being both statute barred and their failure to comply with a CCA request.

So I need to know - do I agree to mediation or fill in box C1 stating that I do not agree with it being tracked to a small claims court.

Help needed.

Many thanks in advance.

Comment

case is statute barred as regards statute of limitations also failure of supply CCA1974, agree to Mediation and point the failures they will state Mediation cannot take place due to the fact stated and the case passed back to the court for courts next instruction

Comment

Thanks Mike, so if I agree to mediation, do I complete section C1 stating that I don't agree it should go to small claims?

Comment

Anything under £10.000 cases go to small claims court anyway

Comment

First Steps look thru here gives you an idea of proceedings as well

Comment

Thanks Mike, I have read through that. So presumably I agree to mediation. Agree to it going to small claims and then answer questions during my mediation phone call at which stage it will be referred back to the Court?

Many thanks for the speedy responses.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I have read through that. So presumably I agree to mediation. Agree to it going to small claims and then answer questions during my mediation phone call at which stage it will be referred back to the Court?

Many thanks for the speedy responses.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X