• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CMC PPI claim advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMC PPI claim advice.

Hi, I've just registered here as I'm looking for a bit of advice. It would be much appreciated if anyone could help with my situation.
    I originally claimed Ppi back from some loans with my bank, however, this was 2011 and I was told their records are only kept for 6 years, so the only upheld claims were for loan agreements I had proof of. This claim was done by myself, and the agreement I signed stated this would be final with regard to any future claims, hence I thought this would be the end of the matter.
    Fast forward to April this year, a CMC cold called me and told me I could still claim for previous loan PPI, on a no win no fee basis. I signed an agreement with them, as I was under the impression I could do no more on my own.
    This brings me to yesterday (6/8/16) when out of the blue I receive a letter from the bank stating they were wrong back in 2011 and owe me more money in PPI refunds.
    I have since been digging for info regarding this bank, and since being fined for wrongly paying customers, the bank have since June 15, been automatically reviewing each case and paying out the correct amount owed to customers.
    This brings me to the question, do I legally owe the CMC payment for their services even though the bank was already reviewing cases?
    I will be calling the bank tomorrow to see if this review has anything to do with the CMC being in touch, or not. Sorry for a long post, but I feel all the information is important. Thanks again in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: CMC PPI claim advice.

It's very unlikely that it was the CMC who was responsible for having the case reviewed.

The general rule of thumb is that if a CMC hasn't done any work on a claim they shouldn't be able to charge.

Who is the CMC?

Comment

Hi, the CMC is Harringtons Advisory, who according to this website are currently under investigation.

Comment

Indeed.

MOJ published guidance on CMCs charging for reviewed claims but although it's only for CMCs who made the original claim it's clear that they shouldn't charge for a reviewed claim unless they were specifically contracted to do so.

See page 2 https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n-Aug-2014.pdf

Comment

I did sign a contract for them to claim from the bank, but unsure as to whether I would have to pay them their fees, as according to moneysavingexpert, the bank is already reviewing cases that have already been paid out previously. Thanks for your replies :-)

Comment

Yes banks have a regulatory obligation to review the amounts paid out on some claims.

Comment

During a phone call to the bank this morning, they told me this offer of a PPI payment follows a review of my original claim back in 2011, and has in no way anything to do with a CMC. But since the CMC are looking into this for me, I'm bound by their contract to inform them of the bank contacting me. I know for a fact they'll want a share of my pay out unfortunately. After speaking to the Legal Ombudsman today, I think I should inform the CMC once the bank have made payment to me, and if they invoice me for their services, I'll have to make a written complaint to CMC then if I disagree with them, I'll have to open a case with the Legal Ombudsman. Does anyone agree with how I'm doing this? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by PmHwd View Post
                During a phone call to the bank this morning, they told me this offer of a PPI payment follows a review of my original claim back in 2011, and has in no way anything to do with a CMC. But since the CMC are looking into this for me, I'm bound by their contract to inform them of the bank contacting me. I know for a fact they'll want a share of my pay out unfortunately. After speaking to the Legal Ombudsman today, I think I should inform the CMC once the bank have made payment to me, and if they invoice me for their services, I'll have to make a written complaint to CMC then if I disagree with them, I'll have to open a case with the Legal Ombudsman. Does anyone agree with how I'm doing this? Thanks in advance.
                Being upfront is a good idea. However when you inform them make sure that you say that as they had no hand in either the original claim or the subsequent review of it whatsoever you do not expect them to charge you.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do just that when I speak to them, and will update this when I have any further information, in case anybody else finds themselves in a similar situation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X