• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sue director of company for employing non accredited amateur to install boiler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sue director of company for employing non accredited amateur to install boiler

I employed a building company to carry out some work which included the installation of a gas boiler. The company left after I refused to pay them the final deposit before the work was incomplete. I then discovered that they had unlawfully employed an amateur to install the boiler with a view to hiring an accredited engineer to sign off. I reported them to Gas Safe who in turn reported them to HSE who issued them with a one-off rebuke and a warning that they may be prosecuted if caught breaking the law again. I cannot see any point suing a company which would probably just ignore a CCJ or dissolve itself but can I sue the directors?
    Last edited by mypetdog; 7th August 2016, 14:15:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Sue director of company for employing non accredited amateur to install boiler

Hi and welcome

If this is a limited company, basically you can only sue the company. (suing directors is normally limited to showing they are personally responsible and relates to the running of the company... piercing thecorporate veil is rare!))

Comment

Re: Sue director of company for employing non accredited amateur to install boiler

Does the restriction to suing the company apply also to criminal offences? In this intance, the directors who have a duty under the Companies Act to behave honestly instead deceived me and committed a criminal offence by employing an amateur for a job which another piece of legislation demands is carried out by a Gas Safe engineer.
      Last edited by mypetdog; 7th August 2016, 14:15:PM.

Comment

What would you be claiming for and how much would you want in monetary terms any criminal offence needs to be investigated by the Police or you could try a private prosecution

Comment

Gas Safe and HSE have effectively dealt with the criminal side.......... the police will not get involved.
          IMO you are left with suing the company for any losses you have suffered.

Comment

I found something online which says that a director can be held personally responsible for business decisions which are unlawful such as those which breach the Heath & Saftey at Work Act. Employing an amateur to fit a boiler is surely a breach of the Act?

Comment

Can you identify exactly which director (if any) was responsible for allowing this unqualified person to install the boiler?

If there is more than one director you will have to dentify which director was responsible. (your first post mentions "directors")
              You will then have to show it was his decision to instruct this person to install the boiler, and not some manager down the line who allowed it to go ahead.

Quite frankly (if you have not lost money over this) i don't see the point of continuing to pursue the matter.
              The criminality side has been dealt with by Gas Safe and HSE
              If you have lost financially your course of action is to initiate a civil case against the company.
              You seem concerned they may dissolve the company, but you can object to a company strike off to allow your case to continue.

Comment

The directors were managing the project which included the boiler installation and knew they had hired a non skilled person. Companies House will only prevent a company from dissolving itself for a limited period. Even if I managed to secure a CCJ against the company, I would not be able to force them to pay. Their assets such as the house they live in are not in the company name.

Comment

But as builders presumably the company has a certain amount of equipment in a yard or on sites somewhere, which could be seized by enforcement agents?

Comment

In a previous post I asked what were you sueing them for in monetary terms you did not reply To sue anyone you would need to state an amount you were claiming and how that figure is calculated seems here you just want to sue the company but what for?

Comment

It is my intention to sue for financial loss.
                      Last edited by mypetdog; 9th August 2016, 16:44:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X