• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

resignation, restrictive covenants, pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resignation, restrictive covenants, pay

I have resigned from my current employer and because of my understanding of the Restrictive Covenants in the contract expected him to pay me for the 6 months after Termination of the Employment. I agree that normally it is up to Employer to enforce or not enforce Restrictive Covenants, but the way they are written in my contract I do not see that there is an discretion there, but the Employer argue the opposite and believes that he is not required to pay.

Any advice or view on the subject will be very helpful.

The clause in "Restrictive Covenants" section is the following:

--------------------------
    5.9 The Company shall pay the Employee GBP XXXXXX, less tax and other authorised deductions and deductions required by law, in six equal monthly instalments in arrears on the last business day of each month, for the duration of Restricted Period. The Employee agrees that where either:

(a) he violates the terms of this clause 5 of this Schedule A following termination of Agreement; or

(b) any competent authority finds that the terms of this clause 5 of this Schedule A are unenforceable or invalid

then any further payments owing under this clause 5.9. shall cease and all previous payments made under the same clause shall be repayable to the Company within thirty calendar days from the qualifying repayment event.
    Also "Restricted Period" is defined in the beginning of "Restrictive Covenants" section as:

5 RESTRICTIVE COVENANTS

5.1. For the purposes of this clause 5, the following words have the following meanings:
    (f) "Restricted Period" means the period of 6 months immediately following the Termination Date.

The agreement does not say anywhere that there is a discretion in the payments to be made unless beginning of the Schedule A (which section 5 RESTRICTIVE COVENANTS is part of) imply the opposite:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Schedule A

This Schedule forms part of the Employee's terms and conditions of employment. The definitions used in the Employee's Employment Agreement apply to this schedule unless otherwise stated. Clauses 2,3,4 and 5 of this Schedule A impose certain restrictions on the employee's future-working activities at the time after he leaves the Company's employment.

1. Severability and automatic amendments
    The Employee agrees that if any restriction in any one or more of clauses 2, 3, 4 or 5 of this
    Schedule A, either by itself or read as a whole, is adjudged to be unenforceable as exceeding
    what is considered reasonable for the protection of the Company’s business interests, but would
    be valid if some part of it were deleted or amended, or if the period or area thereof were reduced,
    then such restrictions shall apply with such modifications to the clause(s) as may be necessary to
    make it them valid or effective.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X