• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

First hand knowledge v Speculation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First hand knowledge v Speculation

Why does an employment tribunal give more weight to employer speculation than it does to employee first hand knowledge?

I worked 8 years for a company in a management role. I knew their policies and procedures inside out. The business was then taken over by a new company and I was sacked after 4 months for not following procedures. The new company did not introduce new policies and procedures so it was assumed by all staff that we were working to the existing ones. At tribunal the new company said what their policies and procedures were, admitted they had not told staff what they were, but stated they believed staff should have known what they were because their policies and procedures were the same as the previous company's. The thing is their policies and procedures were not the same as the previous company's. Their belief that they were the same was not based on first hand knowledge, it was not based on hearsay as they had not asked anyone about the previous company's policies and procedures, it was simply based on how they do things which to me is pure speculation. When it came to tribunal, I stated what the policies and procedures were of the previous company as I worked for them and had first hand knowledge of them. They were clearly different to the ones stated by new company but the judge took their speculation over my first hand knowledge in regard to the previous company. The judge said it wasn't the actual policies and procedures of the previous company that must be considered, it was the new company's belief of what those policies were that must be considered. The judge said their belief was reasonable. I cant see how their belief was reasonable when they didn't ask anyone about the policies and procedures of the previous company.

I believe I have good reason to appeal the decision but want a second opinion before starting down that road. Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: First hand knowledge v Speculation

Hi WayTooComplicated.

In a nutshell, an EAT appeal is not a rehearing of the case.......EAT would be reluctant to look behind the ET's decision.
    The appeal would be legal argument as to errors of law, &/or whether factual evidence was legally perverse (ie no reasonable ET could have come to that decision).
    The appeals are 'sifted' beforehand, rejecting those which in their (EAT) view have no prospect of success.

Another possible avenue would be to request a review; this has strict time limits.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X