• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Resigning under investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Resigning under investigation

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
    Lol!........pedant! :taunt:

Ha ha am not being. it's a technical interpretation of the law :P Ok, may be I was a tad *says 4 hail marys and 2 our fathers :P.

Comment

Hi
      Have you had the investigation meeting yet?

Technically I believe an investigation meeting does not carry an automatic right to be accompanied but many companies, particularly bigger ones will allow it.

If you are signed off sick from work they can not force you to attend although they might get occupational health involved, again depends on the size of the company.

I know now it can be difficult sticking to the rules sometimes , many years ago I was told off for phoning on authorisation on a debit card even though the system had authorised it. The guy was buying 200 fags and £50 cash back and the name on the card would have been unusual for his appearance. The card was stolen but I was accused of wrongdoing because it wasn't in the rule book.

Comment

that is one of the issues as I was dealing with an issue and customer wantEd a large refund I said pay him and then I will do the refund later when had time

Comment

Originally posted by JulieM View Post
          Hi
          Have you had the investigation meeting yet?

Technically I believe an investigation meeting does not carry an automatic right to be accompanied but many companies, particularly bigger ones will allow it.

If you are signed off sick from work they can not force you to attend although they might get occupational health involved, again depends on the size of the company.

I know now it can be difficult sticking to the rules sometimes , many years ago I was told off for phoning on authorisation on a debit card even though the system had authorised it. The guy was buying 200 fags and £50 cash back and the name on the card would have been unusual for his appearance. The card was stolen but I was accused of wrongdoing because it wasn't in the rule book.
          By law, if the employer makes a reasonable request for representation at a grievance hearing and or a disciplinary hearing, and no legal rep. or union official is available, under the law the employer must grant this request for a companion. The employee is entitled to a worker companion who may address said hearings' staff, but they cannot answer the questions directed to the employee. Said person can also confer (discuss privately) strategies etc with the companion/ worker.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
            By law, if the employer makes a reasonable request for representation at a grievance hearing and or a disciplinary hearing, and no legal rep. or union official is available, under the law the employer must grant this request for a companion. The employee is entitled to a worker companion who may address said hearings' staff, but they cannot answer the questions directed to the employee. Said person can also confer (discuss privately) strategies etc with the companion/ worker.
            That's why I said technically. If it is just an investigation and fact finding meeting it is neither a disciplinary or grievance meeting. Many companies will allow someone to accompany but it is not automatic.

Comment

I believe you are also wrong about who can represent you. It is a union official or employee of the union or a co worker. You can ask for a 3rd party but employers do not have to agree. Clearly if other legislation or terms of employment came into play such as the equality act (2010) the situation might change.

https://www.gov.uk/disciplinary-proc...inary-hearings

Comment

I believe you are also wrong about who can represent you. It is a union official or employee of the union or a co worker. You can ask for a 3rd party but employers do not have to agree. Clearly if other legislation or terms of employment came into play such as the equality act (2010) the situation might change.

https://www.gov.uk/disciplinary-proc...inary-hearings
                Hi Julie

Section 10 (3 (c)), Employment Relations Act 1999
                clearly states that the employee, in a disciplinary/ grievance hearing, may take another employee/ colleague (ie 'Worker') in with him. A union official likely means a shop steward who works for the company where both employer and said official are union members. The Equality Acts do not need to apply. If the Equality Acts were to apply there would have been amendments to said 1999 Act to that effect.

Thank you, Charity
                Last edited by Openlaw15; 31st July 2016, 10:42:AM.

Comment

That's why I said technically. If it is just an investigation and fact finding meeting it is neither a disciplinary or grievance meeting. Many companies will allow someone to accompany but it is not automatic.
                  There are exceptions, though I suspect only in exceptional circumstances.

University professor is allowed non-specified companion at investigatory meeting
                  http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2015/2300.html
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Openlaw
                    Although you did clarify it later, your initial statement was that an employer must allow a reasonable request for the employee to be accompanied. You also said a legal rep was one of the people allowed to accompany. I was just detailing exactly who could accompany
                    A Union rep
                    An employee of the Union
                    A co worker

A request for a family member, lawyer A.N. Other can be refused.

My pointt about the equality act was that if the person being disciplined was covered by the equality act , that might come into play. For example a deaf employee might need a signer etc.

The link provided by charity explains why I said technically for an investigation meeting. The meeting in that link was more than an investigation IMO because a statement was going to be asked for that would be put in front of the disciplinary meeting.

Again , with an investigation meeting, the equality act may come in . Let's say the person being investigated had developed some mental health problems that made them excessively anxious, it would be an appropriate adjustment to allow a companion who could call time out and help the person remain calm.

Comment

@JulieM

I do agree generally with you.
                      The SC, on appeal in R (on the application of G) (Respondent) v The Governors of X School (Appellant) [2011] UKSC 30, overturned a CA decision which involved an Article 6 argument.
                      It was decided (I believe by majority) that in that particular case the employer was within their rights not to allow legal representation in a disciplinary.

I would also add that sometimes the line between investigation & disciplinary can become 'blurred'.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I would agree that the lines between investigation and disciplinary can be blurred and to be safe an employer should probably allow someone to attend.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X