• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Resigning under investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resigning under investigation

Hi
    I would love some advice.
    I recently went on holiday and was due to go back to work and when I called my work my colleague told me that there were rumours going around and that I had been sacked. it put me in a bad place as I have a great record at work with no history of any disciplinary procedures against me.
    my mind was going crazy as to why and my doctor signed me off work. after a few weeks my employer contacted me to meet and discuss my absence. I met in a neutral location and they informed me that I was being investigated for some incidents and that the police were involved. as you can imagine that just made my head worse. I am struggling with it and just want to leave. I know a bit head in the sand but I can't be doing with the stress and anxiety.I am more concerned about why they said police involvement if I have not been investigated. I was asking can I resign and then what are then when would the police contact me?
    Tags: None

Re: Resigning under investigation

Hi gthampgt & welcome to LB.

Were you sacked or not, & if yes, when? (in relation to your being on holiday?)
    (From your post it seems as if you're still employed but off sick atm; is that correct?)

Just to be clear, how long had/have you been working there?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi not been sacked still employed and have been in their employment for 10 years

Comment

Are you signed off as sick, or have you returned to work?

Is there any written communication, or is it all verbal?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

yes the doctor signed me off with stress at work. it was only last night they sent me a letter to invite me for an interview

Comment

Is this a 'return to work' type meeting, or does it involve the investigation for wrongdoing?
            If the latter, as it impinges on disciplinary, you may have the right to be accompanied. (Work colleague or union rep).
            (Btw, if there is possible police involvement, would it be fair to assume that gross misconduct is on the table?)
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi
              It is an investigatory meeting they want me to attend which I wasn't sure they could ask if off sick and yes they are saying gross misconduct as said possible fraud

Comment

I was confused as they said police involvement in was thinking how can they be involved if they haven't even investigated me so made me worry more

Comment

Originally posted by gthampgt View Post
                  I was confused as they said police involvement in was thinking how can they be involved if they haven't even investigated me so made me worry more
                  If you go to the disciplinary hearing, you're allowed to be represented by law. Do you have anyone representing you at the disciplinary hearing? Police only get involved if the employer reports you to the police. By law, the employer has to follow a clear procedure.

Comment

at the moment they said all they are waiting for is for myself to be interviewed and of honest not in the right frame of mind. plus it has annoyed me that this is happening i wouldn't want to go back to work for the company. that is why I just want to leave as it will always be in back of my mind. never had time off for sickness as well so I am just getting worked up. part of me just wants to hand my notice in and if they have the police involved in would prefer to deal with them

- - - Updated - - -

sorry I have no one representing me as part of me knows I have nothing to hide so don't want anyone. I have tried to piece parts of what they are saying from memory and know I can explain it but I remember recently from a meeting we had they said no it is based on balance of probability. so I am feeling if this is being brought against me then they are looking to dismiss

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                      If you go to the disciplinary hearing, you're allowed to be represented by law. Do you have anyone representing you at the disciplinary hearing? Police only get involved if the employer reports you to the police. By law, the employer has to follow a clear procedure.
                      at the moment they said all they are waiting for is for myself to be interviewed and of honest not in the right frame of mind. plus it has annoyed me that this is happening i wouldn't want to go back to work for the company. that is why I just want to leave as it will always be in back of my mind. never had time off for sickness as well so I am just getting worked up. part of me just wants to hand my notice in and if they have the police involved in would prefer to deal with them

- - - Updated - - -

sorry I have no one representing me as part of me knows I have nothing to hide so don't want anyone. I have tried to piece parts of what they are saying from memory and know I can explain it but I remember recently from a meeting we had they said no it is based on balance of probability.
                      Correct, but they do have to investigate fairly based on a reasonable belief, & carry out a proper disciplinary procedure.
                      so I am feeling if this is being brought against me then they are looking to dismiss
                      I would suggest a visit to CAB, with a view to engaging a solicitor, certainly if police are to be involved.
                      In some instances, a solicitor can represent at a (civil) disciplinary matter.
                      If you resign, it may impact on your ability to claim benefits.
                      Last edited by charitynjw; 29th July 2016, 10:44:AM.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

sorry I have no one representing me as part of me knows I have nothing to hide so don't want anyone. I have tried to piece parts of what they are saying from memory and know I can explain it but I remember recently from a meeting we had they said no it is based on balance of probability. so I am feeling if this is being brought against me then they are looking to dismiss
                        Tell them to choose an employee (worker) to represent you. Do you have any friends/ colleagues at the company? Are you a member of a Union, also?

Comment

unfortunately not in the union. if the police are involved would they contact me?
                          could I just hand my notice in and go from there? I think they will look at holding meetings in my absence.
                          before I went off I had some job offers to which I just want to accept and move forward from there.

- - - Updated - - -

I think with reasonable belief is what's worrying me as I have conducted these meetings myself and know how they go.
                          benefits is not an issues as I have had job offers constantly but I never take them up as remain loyal but now i just want to move on and leave and go from there.

Comment

unfortunately not in the union. if the police are involved would they contact me? Very likely.
                            could I just hand my notice in and go from there? See above.
                            I think they will look at holding meetings in my absence. They can do so, as any investigation by the employer needs to be timely.
                            before I went off I had some job offers to which I just want to accept and move forward from there.
                            Difficult with this in the background.

- - - Updated - - -

I think with reasonable belief is what's worrying me as I have conducted these meetings myself and know how they go.
                            benefits is not an issues as I have had job offers constantly but I never take them up as remain loyal but now i just want to move on and leave and go from there.
                            Again, with the current problem in the background, you may have problems, especially if the job offers involve fiduciary elements.
                            ####
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

the job offers are from people I used to work with and they have always asked me to join them. I had interviews and everything earlier on in the year. I spoke to 2 of them and they have said not a problem and I have been accepted for them it was just waiting for me to accept.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X