• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pre-sale Agreement Template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-sale Agreement Template

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I am trying to find a free template for a 'conditional sale agreement' or 'option agreement'.

I am interested in purchasing some freehold land off a local farm. In principle the owner has agreed to sell but I don't want to go through the expense of obtaining planning permission for the owner to then back out of the sale. So to protect my interest (and the owners), I understand we can sign an agreement which covers this and other conditions before the sale can proceed.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Pre-sale Agreement Template

A Solicitor would draw up this type of agreement doing it without professional help may cause problems especially if large sums of money may be involved after and if planning is granted

Comment

Thanks. I am trying to avoid Solicitors at this stage for all the obvious reasons. If we get to actual purchase then Solicitors will be necessary.

The contract/agreement does not need to be complicated, in fact plain English which we will both understand is the key. I do not want either party to feel like the other is trying to gain any advantage.

So what makes a contract or agreement legally binding? I hope the answer is not 'because a Solicitor wrote it'

Comment

Have you considered an application for outline (not full) planning permission which would give you some commitment? You don't have to own the land to do this.

You've not said what you intend to build on the farmland but it may make sense to get a 'fast No' or an indication of a 'thumbs up' from the Local Authority before committing to the purchase.

For example if this land is in a Conservation Area planning options may be limited. Ditto Green Belt areas etc. Why don't you arrange to meet the Planning Officer on site to discuss what is likely to be accepted or rejected.

The planning fees you wish to avoid wasting (and the procedure) are listed on here >

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...how_to_apply/4

Di

Comment

Its possible, but as with any drafting of a contract if you don't get it right then you could be exposed hence the usual requirement for a solicitor to do this sort of stuff.

A binding contract is essentially, an offer, an acceptance of that offer, and consideration and intention to create legal relations.

If you were to do this yourself and take the risk, then you would need to include some of the following (not exhaustive)

1. Identify the parties i.e. you and the owner of the land.

2. The land to be purchased would need to be sufficiently identified either by way of Title number or the actual address of the land to be purchased

3. Consideration, which is something in return for something else. As you are going to be paying the purchase price of the land when solicitors would be instructed, you could make reference to the consideration by way of a 'peppercorn' or a nominal amount such as £50p, £1 etc. and state whether payment has been acknowledged or not. Something like the following: "in consideration of [peppercorn / £1 / £0.50], of which the consideration is acknowledged as having been paid, the landowner agrees ...

4. You could put a time limit on it also if both parties agreed, such as "the landowner shall execute in favour of [YOU] within a period of X months from the date of this agreement transfer the said land

5. who pays planning permission and fees etc.?

6. Then you might want to think about what happens if the agreement is breached, do you want to be indemnified for all costs and expenses incurred leading up to the breach? do you want to have a right which allows the court to order specific performance in that the Court shall order the landowner to sell the land to you?

There's also lots of other things to consider so although you want a simple agreement, reality is that it is not so simple.
          Last edited by R0b; 27th July 2016, 12:32:PM.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I was not able to post a reply last night for some reason, but wanted to say thanks for the information.

That has given me plenty to think about.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X