• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot / Marlin Credit Licence with the FCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot / Marlin Credit Licence with the FCA

This is from Cabot's website

Important Information about Cabot Credit Management Group's authorisation with the FCA.

How is our Group authorised with the Financial Conduct Authority

Cabot Credit Management Group Limited (CCM), a company registered in England and Wales with Company no. 4934534, (Cabot) is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) with firm reference number 677910.

Cabot has all necessary permissions to carry on the regulated activities of the group.
    All debts purchased by our Group are owned by purchasing entities, known as Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs). All our SPVs are exempt from being authorised by the FCA as the SPVs have appointed Cabot to arrange the administration of the relevant debts/portfolios on their behalf.
    From 1 April 2016, Cabot will appoint Apex Credit Management, Cabot Financial (Europe), Cabot Financial (Marlin), Hillesden Securities t/a dlc and Midland Credit Management India as its appointed representatives to carry out debt-collecting and debt administration services. Cabot will assume full regulatory responsibility for Apex Credit Management, Cabot Financial (Europe), Cabot Financial (Marlin), Hillesden Securities t/a dlc and Midland Credit Management India.

Notes to Editors
    - CCM became authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority on 11 March 2016.
    - Our SPVs are:
    United Kingdom
    Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, Marlin Capital Europe Limited, MCE Portfolio Limited, MFS Portfolio Limited, Marlin Europe I Limited, Marlin Europe II Limited, ME III Limited, ME IV Limited, Marlin Europe V Limited, Marlin Europe VI Limited, Cabot Financial Portfolios Limited
    EU
    Cabot Asset Purchases (Ireland) Limited, Cabot Securitisation (Europe) Limited
    - The UK SPVs and the Appointed Representatives rely on exemptions pursuant to Article 60I of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activies) Order 2001 and the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Appointed Representatives) Regulations 2001 and do not require to be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.
    - Apex Credit Management Limited, Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited, Cabot Financial (Marlin) Limited, Hillesden Securities Limited (t/a dlc), part of the Cabot Credit Management Group of Companies; and Midland Credit Management India Private Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Encore Capital Group, Inc., all have consumer credit interim permission with the Financial Conduct Authority which will expire on 31 March 2016.

If you have reason to doubt the veracity of any communication from the Cabot Credit Management Group please contact cabotpr@cabotcm.com who will be able to confirm authenticity.
    The Financial Conduct Authority, which is the UK's market conduct regulator which sets out to protect consumers, enhance the integrity of the UK financial services market as well as promoting effective market competition and operates a register of authorised firms, appointed representatives and approved individuals. Details of our registration with the Financial Conduct Authority can be found on the Public Register.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot / Marlin Credit Licence with the FCA

Check on the FCA REGISTER https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_Fir...000000m3s3oAAA - (Reference number: 677910)

A firm may use several trading names or brand names under the same permission. This list shows the names that have been reported to us, but you may want to contact the firm for full details
    Current names:
    Registered Cabot Credit Management Group Limited 21/12/2014
    Trading Apex Credit Management Limited 19/03/2015
    Trading Cabot 19/03/2015
    Trading Cabot Credit Management 19/03/2015
    Trading Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited 19/03/2015
    Trading Cabot Financial (Marlin) Limited 19/03/2015
    Trading Midland Credit Management India Private Limited 19/03/2015
    ‘Agent status’ shows whether an agent currently has an active relationship with any principal firm.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      Section 3.12 Authorised representatives???

nem
      Nem just bringing into this thread instead. I accept that their 'SPVs' may have arranged Cabot Credit Management who then appoint AR's as above. However, part of the SPV exemptions is this:
      The conditions which must be met by the SPV seeking the benefit of the same are that it:

Does not undertake debt-counselling, debt-collecting or debt adjusting within the meaning of the Regulated Activities Order (RAO)
      Therefore if CF UK have instructed Restons for example, they will be undertaking debt collection within the meaning of the FSMA and the RAO. Therefore they have no exemption on that basis and it must be one of the appointed AR's who is instructing the solicitors as an agent. Where CFUK directly involves itself with the solicitors, that is an attempt to procure the debt and the SPV exemption cannot apply.

So the question I keep repeating on previous occasions is, find out who is instructing the solicitors - if its CFUK then they're not exempt. If its an AR on behalf of CFUK then the exemption will apply.

Nevertheless on that thread, CFUK clearly conducted regulated activities prior to the so called exemption so can they pursue something that was done illegally in the first place? I would argue not.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        Nem just bringing into this thread instead. I accept that their 'SPVs' may have arranged Cabot Credit Management who then appoint AR's as above. However, part of the SPV exemptions is this:

Therefore if CF UK have instructed Restons for example, they will be undertaking debt collection within the meaning of the FSMA and the RAO. Therefore they have no exemption on that basis and it must be one of the appointed AR's who is instructing the solicitors as an agent. Where CFUK directly involves itself with the solicitors, that is an attempt to procure the debt and the SPV exemption cannot apply.

So the question I keep repeating on previous occasions is, find out who is instructing the solicitors - if its CFUK then they're not exempt. If its an AR on behalf of CFUK then the exemption will apply.

Nevertheless on that thread, CFUK clearly conducted regulated activities prior to the so called exemption so can they pursue something that was done illegally in the first place? I would argue not.
        It's my impression that the AR status of the " trading styles " of Cabot Credit Management had interim permissions prior to their current status.
        I suppose it's probable that " negotiations " took place between Cabot Credit Management and the FCA allowing the companies to trade while changes were made.
        Something we will not be easily able to discover.

nem

Comment

What's the Cabot Credit Management's criteria of appointing AR. Can you provide me with quality resource?

Comment

Originally posted by billnortonlawyer View Post
            What's the Cabot Credit Management's criteria of appointing AR. Can you provide me with quality resource?
            See FCA website Licensing and Authorised Representatives.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X