• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used car headache!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used car headache!

Hi all! New member here, getting my head spun by my bank and a dodgy used car seller. Would really like some advice.

I bought a car 2 weeks (and 1 day) ago from a used car trader, screen price was £1895, however he lowered the price to £1500 (plus 3% service charge for paying on credit card making the total £1545) due to two faults that I discovered with the car at the time - that the rear passenger side door did not lock using the key, only with the internal lock, and that the bonnet release handle was loose and not popping the bonnet. It had worked the first time I'd looked but snapped the second time the guy went to release the bonnet for a second inspection. The guy handed me a small piece of plastic that had fallen out of the bonnet release handles bracket and said "ahh this will only be £20 and it'll be cheap to fix". The car had an (almost, only 3 week old) full MOT that was totally clean, no advisories.

12 days later, I book the car in at my local dealerships garage to get the bonnet release looked at and to get a quote. At the dealership, they offer me a free wash and a free "health check", so I say sure, why not, free is free right? A couple of hours later, the senior service advisor calls me to say they found many faults with the car, several things are dangerous (including the brake servo pipe having a hole in that was covered with tape!), broken suspension spring, corrosion on the brakes, etc. In all, I think 13 faults of which 4 or 5 were "requires urgent attention" and I was told would probably fail an MOT.

As the MOT was so new, I have arranged for a DVSA inspector to come look at the car and reach a verdict on whether the car should have been issued an MOT or not - and if not of course, action will be taken against the issuer. This report should be complete by Monday.

I contacted the seller and explained the predicament, was very polite and gave him the choice of repair (expensive!) or just a straight refund and for him to collect the car (probably cheapest and easiest all round). He flat out refused. I explained that I had rights under Consumer Rights Act, and he said "I'm well versed in the law, you voided any warranty* by taking it to an outside garage instead of letting me inspect for any faults**"

*No idea where the talk of warranty's came from, I wasn't aware he even did warranty's, I was talking about my rights in law
    **He is just a trader, not a mechanic, so the idea of me getting him to inspect for any faults seems absurd, especially as I didn't take it to a garage to find faults, it was just to get a quote on a problem I knew about and the others were found by accident

So as the seller seemed a dead end, and was also hugely unpleasant, I figured I'd go to the bank and put in a claim under Sec 75 as I paid on a credit card. I submitted the email to the address that they asked me to do, received a follow up call and was told they wouldn't be looking at Sec 75 yet but wanted me to provide proof to see if they have a Charge back right first? This seemed weird, I didn't ask for them to do a charge back on the seller, I was asking for my refund to come from the banks own pocket as they are jointly liable with the seller?

I was hoping for some advice on the problem, I should have the independent engineer report on the car by Monday evening, I have 14 days from yesterday to get back to the bank with all the proof they require or they will "deem the matter resolved".

Should I let them try a charge back first? Am I giving my right to then later ask for a refund under Sec 75 if I agree to try charge back first? Also, under Charge Back, I will only get my original £1545 back, but I also want money back for the time I have had the car out of action - I'm still paying for it to be taxed and insured the whole time it is sitting in the garage out of action, I'm out of pocket on my transport costs on top of this, i.e I have had to use taxis and buses to get around since then, and of course I will not be paying to repair anything on the car out of my own pocket so will probably need to pay to have it towed away from the dealerships garage to my home address so I can SORN it - I doubt the dealership will let me keep it on their site indefinitely.

also (Sorry for the long long post!) what other legal recourse against the seller would I have other than my money back and (potential) additional costs back? for example, is selling an unroadworthy car something the police are interested in? I have already submitted a complaint to trading standards

Thank you so much for getting to the end of the post! Advice would be really appreciated.

JB
    Tags: None

Re: Used car headache!

Send a letter NOW to the dealer telling him that you are rejecting the car as unsatisfactory quality Send it signed for, though he may not sign but you will have proof that you sent it. This makes it clear that the dispute started within 30 days. I presume that all the dealings so far have been by phone.

The 30 days is important as within this period you can reject the car and receive a full refund. You do not have to take up any offer of a repair during this time. In the first instance I would suggest that you accept a refund of the price given if it is offered promptly. If not go for the jugular.

The dealer is obliged to pick the car up, at his cost, you do not have to get it to him. If the pickup and refund is not forthcoming then it looks as though it will have to be the small claims court. This is when you add in your additional cost.

Comment

Thank you for speedy reply! Re: small claims court, is pressuring the bank for section 75 refund an easier process? I did go to the seller and have emailled - and am writing a letter Monday - but I thought the credit card ppl were jointly and severally liable and I'm actually under no obligation to keep pursuing the seller?

Great reply, thank u!

Comment

Never gone for a S75 refund so don't know how easy, or difficult, it is. Small claims is relatively easy and straight forward, to start the claim the fee is £80 for a claim of £1,500 to £3,000. This would be an option if the S75 is refused.

I believe that with a S75 then all you will receive is the purchase price refunded. Small claims will take you into claiming for additional costs.

Get that recorded letter to the seller as soon as possible. The Consumer rights act is remarkably readable. Check a few section that pertain to your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post

The dealer is obliged to pick the car up, at his cost, you do not have to get it to him. If the pickup and refund is not forthcoming then it looks as though it will have to be the small claims court. This is when you add in your additional cost.
          Actually you can claim your consequential losses at the time of rejection.
          CRA 2015 Sec 19 Consumer’s rights to enforce terms about goods
          (11) Those other remedies include any of the followingthat is opeen to the consumer in the circumstances-
          (a) claiming damages

Comment

Des8 - is that the same as if I make a sec 75 claim? I'm giving up on getting my money from the seller without it going to court - which of course I will if i have to - I'd just rather get my money back quicker from the bank and then let them tackle him for their money. The seller was unpleasant boardering on the outright nasty.

Comment

Yes, your claim against the card issuer is the same as that against the seller. You can claim for all losses caused by the breach of contract or misrepresentation.

Quote from FOS
              http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/31/creditcards-31.htm
              "The claim is not limited to the amount of the credit card transaction. Customers can claim for all losses caused by the breach of contract or misrepresentation. And this applies even if all they paid by credit card was the deposit"

Comment

That's good to know! Does it seem like the bank is trying to fob me off by doing charge back before sec75 refund? Also - sorry for all the questions! - what's reasonable to claim back? I.e the money I've spent taxing and insuring it? At least pro-rata amount for the time since I stopped using the car?

Comment

You can claim all direct costs e.g. incurred taxi fares; car rentals; tax (whilst off road but not sorned) and insurance costs .
                  you must however act reasonably and reduce the costs as far as is reasonable.
                  Also you can claim for loss of use. I have seen awards for this between £5 and £30 per week.

The fact you claim all these items doesn't mean they will roll over and pay them without dispute, but it does give you something to negotiate with!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X