• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial

Hi

I'm in Scotland and last paid any monies toward debt (£2300) around two and a half years ago. Lloyds bank has informed me that it has assigned all it's respective rights etc. I've had four other debt collecters come and go and I have ignored the letters without sending anything off and I told the last lot to never phone me again and they stopped.

I was thinking of saying i no longer live at this address in the next phone call and I have moved and have kept same number. Would this deter them?

I am currently out of work and any advice on how to deal with this mob would be greatly appreciated. Will ignoring them make them go away like the others or are this bunch more likely to start court proceeding against me. I just want to make it to 5 years then get debt statute barred.

Cheers
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Financial

Originally posted by richard w View Post
    I was thinking of saying i no longer live at this address in the next phone call and I have moved and have kept same number. Would this deter them?
    I can't say if it would deter them or not, but if that's not the truth (you no longer live at the address) then you may be getting yourself into serious hot water which could backfire on you if this debt ends up in court.

Instead let's look at your potential legal arguments to defend yourself should that happen (a summons issued).

When did you open the account with Lloyds (before or after April 2007)? Was it a credit or bank overdraft etc.?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
      I can't say if it would deter them or not, but if that's not the truth (you no longer live at the address) then you may be getting yourself into serious hot water which could backfire on you if this debt ends up in court.

Instead let's look at your potential legal arguments to defend yourself should that happen (a summons issued).

When did you open the account with Lloyds (before or after April 2007)? Was it a credit or bank overdraft etc.?

Di
      Hi

It was before 2007 and the debt is a credit card debt. I'm just confused why the other companies gave up and I'm hoping this will be the case again.

Comment

You say that Cabot is currently pursuing you for this debt. What stage has their letter-writing reached?

Shoosmiths solicitors are very active in Scotland (trigger happy with Writs) where the legal process can be 'front loaded'. Are they pursuing you?

Give us a little more information if you can.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
          You say that Cabot is currently pursuing you for this debt. What stage has their letter-writing reached?

Shoosmiths solicitors are very active in Scotland (trigger happy with Writs) where the legal process can be 'front loaded'. Are they pursuing you?

Give us a little more information if you can.

Di

I have received the very first letter today from lloyds alongside an introductory letter from Cabot telling me my experience with Cabot will be different and outlining the next steps. I'm pretty sure i will be getting the phone calls shortly from them and any advice is welcome.

Comment

I have received the very first letter today from lloyds alongside an introductory letter from Cabot telling me my experience with Cabot will be different and outlining the next steps. I'm pretty sure i will be getting the phone calls shortly from them and any advice is welcome.
            IMHO

Don't respond to phone calls or text messages.
            Everything in writing, with proof of postage.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

So when I answer the phone I hang up on them? When you say everything should be in writng, is that regarding the three letters thing i have read about. Should i wait until the next letter before i send off these letters?

Thanks

Comment

So when I answer the phone I hang up on them? When you say everything should be in writng, is that regarding the three letters thing i have read about. Should i wait until the next letter before i send off these letters?

Thanks
                the 3 letter thing you mention ?? hope it is not referring the FOTL nonsense?

Comment

I read about letters that you send one after the other. I have no idea what they are. That's why I'm in here. I'm thinking maybe agreeing minimum payment then going bankrupt down the line could be my only option as i don't want to risk court with whatever they could throw at me.

Comment

I read about letters that you send one after the other. I have no idea what they are. That's why I'm in here. I'm thinking maybe agreeing minimum payment then going bankrupt down the line could be my only option as i don't want to risk court with whatever they could throw at me.
                    Have you read through this?.......http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...-a-Court-Claim
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      Not really sure where to start but I've had a quick look through it. I haven't had a court claim yet though and hopefully I won't get one.

Comment

I have received the very first letter today from lloyds alongside an introductory letter from Cabot telling me my experience with Cabot will be different
                        So far it appears that all you received yesterday was a 'Goodbye' letter from Lloyds and a 'Hello' letter from Cabot. This is a Notice of Assignment.

You may start to get calls from Cabot (that's usually their first approach). If you've got caller display you can note the number after the first call and then not pick up the phone if you see it again. They will then switch to writing to you instead. That's what Charity means by stay off the phone and lay a paper trail.

You've not received a court claim yet so try not to overthink things.

Di

Comment

I don't have caller display unfortunately. Should I reply to the first letter or ignore it? I don't want to admit to the debt in any way.

Comment

Not really sure where to start but I've had a quick look through it. I haven't had a court claim yet though and hopefully I won't get one.
                            Forewarned is forearmed; a bit like chess, it helps to recognise the possible moves.

The ball is in their court atm, but it's unlikely (though not impossible) that they will go away.

Usually, a CCA request is, imho, a good move, but more effective when a court claim is issued.

& if you try to negotiate payment, it will be regarded as an acknowledgement of the debt, thereby resetting the SB clock.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I will think about the CCA request if I get sent a court claim. I think it would be easy for them to get details from lloyds though. I'm now with TSB as Lloyds seperated from them a few years back so that's a bonus.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X