• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing Benefit and CT Benefit stopped because of zero income.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Benefit and CT Benefit stopped because of zero income.

I was made redundant in March, claimed HB and CT in April and was granted both.

Then I got a letter start of July saying both benefits were stopped because I did not have any income ? I explained that I did not want to claim JSA or UC until I had to, and that I was living on my savings and holiday pay and final salary - I live very simply and cheaply. I don't have family, TV, pets, cars, drink smoke, go out etc, so I can afford to do this for a few months.

I rang Lambeth to ask why benefits were stopped and was told it was because I had zero income ? And that to get HB and CT re-instated I would have to claim JSA ? I simply did not want to claim JSA or UC until my money ran out, and now Lambeth seem to be saying that is legal grounds for non-payment of benefit ?

Is this legal ? Lambeth said on the phone that it was a rule applying to all councils ?
    Tags: None

Re: Housing Benefit and CT Benefit stopped because of zero income.

It doesn't even match their own website:http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/benefits-a...il-tax-support

Comment

They haven't been stopped because you have no income, you just need to supply evidence of the fact you have no income to Lambeth - this is your bank statements. You also need to make a statement explaining how you were supporting yourself.

Go to your local citizens advice (drop in session 10a,m tomorrow morning, 1 Barrhill Rd, Streatham) and they will help you appeal.

Comment

Thanks DC. I Did all that. They sent me a goobledook letter in May, so I rang them and was told by them exactly what you just said, so May 18th I sent in a statement explaining my circumstances and that was ok, then I got the cessation letter July 1st. I wrote back straight away asking for it be looked at again.

Then yesterday I rang to see how it was progressing, and was told that my claim had been closed and that I should make a fresh claim asap, so I did that this morning. I asked them if this was legal, and they said it was 'rules that apply to all councils'. The implication being that Lambeth closed it without telling me, I wait a month to discover they are not even looking at it, and then face eviction for rent arrears (I am an HA tenant).

Lambeth also said on the phone I would have to claim JSA or UC to be entitled to HB and CT ?

I emailed my local CAB yesterday asking for clarification of their legal position - what I would like to know is given that I can prove my circumstances is there any statutory provision for them to stop my HB and CT benefits on grounds of zero/low income while I subsist on savings and cash in hand ?
        Last edited by NorthTower; 14th July 2016, 10:04:AM. Reason: Left out important point

Comment

Did you go to the CAB drop in session? If not, the next one is Monday morning. This is going to be a faster way to resolve the issue than exchanging emails about legality.

I hope you asked for you new claim to be backdated. I am unclear if you appealed their previous refusal in writing?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X