• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*** CLAIM DISMISSED *** Pra Group Letter Before Claim Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** CLAIM DISMISSED *** Pra Group Letter Before Claim Received

I really would appreciate any advice. This is my first post so am very new to this!

I have received a letter before claim from PRA Group. This is the first letter I have received from them but states that I only have until the 16th July to respond.

It refers to an MBNA card which they claim I 'entered into a written agreement numbered **************** on or about 30/08/05'. It goes on to say 'By an assignment in writing dated 24/10/12 the creditor assigned the debt to PRA Group'. I have received no letters/telephone calls regarding this and I am unsure of how to respond.

Please help!
    Tags: None

Re: Pra Group Letter Before Claim Received

Hi Minnie1516 & welcome to LB.

Just to clarify, is this just a letter before claim from PRA, or is it an official county court claim issued by Northampton court.

Also, can you recall (& if necessary, prove) the last time you paid into the account, or acknowledged it in writing? (Including any debt management plans etc if applicable)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, thank you for the speedy response!

To confirm, this is just a letter before action. I think this relates to a Virgin card which I last made a payment on at the beginning of 2012. I was made redundant twice in a short space of time. I haven't acknowledged/paid since then. I don't have any paperwork relating to this card either.

Any advice you could give would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Minnie1516 View Post
        Hi, thank you for the speedy response!

To confirm, this is just a letter before action. I think this relates to a Virgin card which I last made a payment on at the beginning of 2012. I was made redundant twice in a short space of time. I haven't acknowledged/paid since then. I don't have any paperwork relating to this card either.

Any advice you could give would be great!
        Unfortunately if your date of 2012 is correct then the debt is not Statute Barred ...

They might be just trying to give you a jump in to acting on it and paying without hassle to themselves ..

You could leave it and see what they do, they may not come back ... or send them a CCA request http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement

And send recorded delivery get proof of posting and also a £1 postal order marked with "statutory fee only"

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
          Unfortunately if your date of 2012 is correct then the debt is not Statute Barred ...

They might be just trying to give you a jump in to acting on it and paying without hassle to themselves ..

You could leave it and see what they do, they may not come back ... or send them a CCA request http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement

And send recorded delivery get proof of posting and also a £1 postal order marked with "statutory fee only"
          Id also say that it would be worth replying asking for copies of the agreement under the pre action protocol, id also ask for the default notice and any other documents they intend to rely on.

Id also make the request under s78 Consumer Credit Act as advised above
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

I agree with Stu & pt.

Shake the tree, see what falls out!
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your advice and help so far.

I will send the CCA request as advised, thanks for the template link. With regards to the other letter about requesting documents on which they intend to use, is there a template for this that you would recommend? Also, should these letters be sent seperately?

Sorry for all the questions, just so worried about this. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

It would be similar to the CPR 31.14 letter but quoting CPR 31.16 - two mins I'll put something together

And yes the letters should go separately.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Your name
                  Your address
                  Your postcode

Date

Claimants name
                  Claimants address
                  Claimants postcode

Dear Sirs,

Claim Number: XXXXXX

Request for documents - CPR 31.16 - Pre-Action Disclosure

On xx/xx/xxxx I received a Letter before Action from yourselves following which I require inspection of documents you intend to rely on in the intended proceedings.

I require copies of the;

1. Agreement / Contract
                  2. Default Notice
                  3. Notice of Assignment
                  4. Statement of Account showing last payment made.

In accordance with CPR 31.15(c) I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.16 request.

I , as Defendant, am entitled to see the documents on which the Claimant relies and which you will have to produce at trial. Disclosure at this stage will enable me to consider my position and enable the parties to fulfill their obligations under the pre-action protocols. You will be aware that the court has the power to order a person who appears to the court to be likely to be a party to legal proceedings to disclose documents which are relevant to an issue arising or likely to arise out of that claim

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter.

For your information and records I enclose a copy of the formal request for a copy of the credit agreement relating to your claim, pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, which has been posted to you under separate cover along with the statutory fee of £1 today, XX XXXX 201X.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Your Name
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

That's fantastic. Thank you so much everyone for all your advice so far.

I'll get those letters sent off tomorrow.

Would anyone have any ideas to the likely outcomes/replies? It really has helped me having all of this advice 😊

Comment

I don't think anyone could say one way or the other... In my own experience with a "Letter before claim" I sent the CCA request to a company called Lowell and it was ignored by them and they started proceedings anyway... However it's not all doom and gloom just because they have taken that action, no response to CCA no action taken at court and many many cases end in Discontinuance, they just push and scare with their letters in the hope we give in but thankfully there is Legal Beagles and the folk here don't take to kindly to that sort of behaviour .... Can I get an Amen brother

Comment

Its so good that LB gives fantastic advice! Guess it will just be a case of sending the letters and see what happens.

Does anyone have any experience with PRA Group and which address I should send my letters to? There are 2 different addresses on the letter - registered office address and a payment address. Sorry for all the silly questions!

Comment

Letters sent recorded delivery this morning 😬 I will post any updates as I will need the advice of all you lovely people again! Thanks so much for all your help so far.

Comment

Hi again!

I have received this reply from PRA Group:

I am in receipt of your correspondence in relation to the above and have requested the required information.

With respect to your request to be provided with a certified copy of the Deed of Assignment and Deed of Novation as these documents include sensitive commercial information in relation to our business we are not obliged to provide you with this information.

I have enclosed your payment of £1.00 as this was not required to carry out the request.

We will contact you to provide an update as soon as possible but if you have any questions please telephone us on....

Is this correct that they are not obliged to provide these documents? The letter also contained a fact sheet on what information they should provide and about 'unenforceable' debt and what they can still do.

Should I just wait until I hear from them again or is there anything else I should do?

Any advice you have would be great 😊

Comment

Hi Minnie

If you sent [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] 's PAP letter (post #9), where the dickens did they get 'deed of assignment' & 'novation' from?
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X