• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ParkingEye - Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ParkingEye - Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport

We booked into Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport on 23rd June 2016 for one night as we were flying out on holiday next morning. We were dropping off our car to a secure parking facility and therefore were dropping off luggage. Reception asked if we had a vehicle we said yes, she said we had 15 or 50 minutes (she was muttering and not that pleased to be at work apparently) I asked what happens if we were longer. She replied that "you pay for time taken" Simple we thought.

We went to leave and found no machine or barrier, we must pay the hotel then we thought (this has been the case in other hotels). Happily went on holiday next day. Returned home and a week later we receive a Parking Charge Notice from Parking Eye for £100!! On looking online and calling the CAB we are told that this is actually not enforceable, is this correct? We saw not pay machines and no notices at entrance to car park. I have spoken to someone from Holiday Inn and they say they OWN the car park and that there are payment machines at the front door of the hotel... we saw none and we have google earthed it and there are none.

Worried is not the word, do we ignore or do we appeal as MSE Martin Lewis says ignore, Watchdog says ignore but some on here say appeal....

Help would be very much appreciated.

Tags: None

Re: ParkingEye - Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport

I've moved this thread to the appropriate sub forum for you and given [MENTION=5354]mystery1[/MENTION] a shout.

He may take a day or two to respond but his advice will be worth waiting for.

Comment

My apologies for posting in wrong place, forums are all new to me! Thank you very much!

Comment

In Scotland, as opposed to E&W, we have no keeper liability. They need to chase the driver but since it's unlikely they know the identity they are stuck. They'll send 5/6 letters then give up. After 5 years they couldn't do anything as any cause of action would "prescribe" (expire).

File and ignore.

M1

Comment

Okay, Thanks for your reply. The parking charge notice was addressed to my partner by name (registered keeper) so they have obviously got the info from DVLA? We were happy to ignore but having niggling doubts as have seen some saying they ARE now prosecuting en-masse through small claims court. This is infuriating as yes they are playing on our fears, which is how they obtain their money *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by fittaedae View Post
            Okay, Thanks for your reply. The parking charge notice was addressed to my partner by name (registered keeper) so they have obviously got the info from DVLA? We were happy to ignore but having niggling doubts as have seen some saying they ARE now prosecuting en-masse through small claims court. This is infuriating as yes they are playing on our fears, which is how they obtain their money *sigh*

They are issuing loads of claim in England and Wales where the keeper can be held liable in law. This is not a prosecution though, merely a claim for money. Keeper liability does not apply here in Scotland though. If they ever send an English template claiming keeper liability applies to Scots, contact trading standards to report them.

M1

Comment

Hello again. We have received a Final Notice a good few weeks back which we ignored. Today received a letter from DRP (Debt Recovery Plus Ltd) PO Box 411, Dukinfield, (Debt collection and enforcement services)
              No mention of a fine but how to pay our "Parking Charge" and it says that if we don't pay by 11/10/16 they will advise their client ParkingEye Ltd to take court action against us.

Do we STILL ignore? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Yes, ignore and take the letter to trading standards.

Comment

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...g-ticket-case/

Ignore all bar court papers.

M1

Comment

Okay finally got to speak to someone in Trading Standards and they wont take a report as they are apparently not breaking Scottish law. We however were breaking the law by "ignoring" the signs (that we did not see) and actually parking in a hotel car park.. All they have done is send us a PDF to read (attached) but the chap recommended if we want peace of mind to contact Parking Eye and see if we can get a reduced charge.... and our Trading Standards reckons that as we broke a "contract" they will take us to court!! Called the hotel AGAIN today as still had no response from them and got a nice lady who has logged the complaint again and given me a reference number to quote if I call again. She informs me that someone from the hotel will contact us within 48 hours (but I have heard all this before) So Trading Standards are not interested and all they say it take it up with the Hotel!?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Parking Eye are probably not breaking the law but they need the drivers identity to have a chance to successfully sue in Scotland.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...g-ticket-case/

Trading standards are incorrect.

M1

Comment

TS state that in Scotland there is no keeper liability? then say the literal the keeper does not have to say who driver was so what can happen if the Parking co cannot prove who was driving or am I being thick

Comment

And as I now understand you can state that you were not the driver but you do not have to tell them who was driving... okay! I shall just keep filing the letters and see what happens. Waiting for response from Hotel also.

Will update once I hear.

Cheers folks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X