• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Garage MOT problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage MOT problem

Hi everyone.
    This is my first posting and I need some advice regarding my problem with a local independent garage. apologies if its a bit long winded...

I have used the garage before without any issues but this year unfortunately turned out to be different.
    I have been unwell for the past year being off work and noticed my MOT was overdue, I rang up the local garage and booked my car in for its teat having an issue with a warning light addressed as well.
    I Phoned the garage to see if the car was ready only to be told there was a delay at the testing station, I waited and was called late the following day saying it had failed due to brake pad and disc wear, bit strange as I had not done more than 60 miles since its last MOT (having been housebound).
    I asked the garage owner how much he thought it would cost a "ball park figure" and he said "oh umm about £310 all in" as the parts for my car were not stocked by most factors due to age (2001 Merc Aclass) He said he understood my situation and would try to get the parts from Euro Parts and get them for a "sensible price".
    A called them a day later asking if the car was ready, I was told the parts had not come in yet and they would call me when it was ready I was called on the Friday and told my car wouldn't be ready until Monday. I picked up the Car on the Wednesday when they finally called to say it was ready.
    I was under the impression that the bill would be less than the £310 he had said but got the impression that they wanted to add more to it. They said the MOT tester hadn't noticed one of my front springs was broken and they had only noticed it when fitting the brake parts. They said it had passed the MOT though.
    Due to my illness I paid and got home fast, all I had was a card receipt and was told I would get the invoice through the post along with the MOT papers.
    I got the invoice but no MOT paperwork. I looked at the bill and was a little shocked at being charged £140 just for parts inc VAT.
    I went out to my car and found they had fitted OE parts which I found on Ebay for £47.05 including VAT and delivery, Quite a mark up!
    The delay in the parts arriving give me the suspicion he purchased them from there and not Euro Parts which he originally mentioned. Can I ask them where they sourced the parts from and what make were fitted to my car?
    I was a little confused as to if his initial estimate could be counted as a Quote or if it was an estimate as when I went in to pay he asked how much he had quoted me over the phone (There was nothing in writing).
    I know he told me a little lie about the parts not being used as much due to the age of the car but I have found out they are still current parts used in a number of Merc vehicles and are in stock with a wide range of dealers for significantly less than he said they cost.
    Do I have any options with this or should I just put it down to experience and not use them again?
    Tags: None

Re: Garage MOT problem

Estimate or quote? You would expect a mark up on the price they pay for the parts after all if the parts prove to be faulty they will have o sort it

Comment

Also, OE or OEM?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi

Sorry I got muddled up, I expected the garage to supply and fit OE or Oem Parts but they have fitted parts which are made by a third party, they just fit the car.
        When I first asked them how much on the phone I asked them "how much would that cost for the parts etc can you give me a ball park estimate".
        When they rang back to say the car was ready I asked if it was still the same price they mentioned before, they assumed they had given me a quote because they said "is that what we quoted?" guess I may have shot myself in the foot by saying yes without thinking, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
        With regard their wanting to cover themselves if things go wrong to cover the repairs, surely they would take that up with the supplier of the parts or their insurance.

Comment

Still takes time and money to sort out problems with their supplier would not expect them to tell you how much they paid .
          You would be surprised at the discounts available off retail price to the trade up to 80% in the business I was in.
          Have you asked for the bill to be reduced?

Comment

Hi
            Thought I would gain some advice before contacting the garage to see where I stood with things as they were.
            Wow! if they did get the parts for even less than they were advertised for on Ebay, claimed back VAT etc the mark up seems way too high for an honest trader, I think their sensible price was really the huge profit at my expense!

Comment

Have you had the invoice yet?
              When they replaced discs did they find the calipers also needed replacing?
              Did it include replacement of that front spring?

I'd expect spring replacement to be in the £100 region on top of the cost of brake discs and pads (+calipers?)

Comment

Hi
                I got the Invoice through the post two days after I paid and picked up the car, They only fitted the discs and brake pads everything else is as it was. They only mentioned that the spring was broken when I picked the car up.

Comment

How much in overheads does the garage have that's why they mark up everything Have you seen anyone else about the Spring to make sure they are not trying it on you could get a quote from anther garage or something like quikfit to see how much they would have charged for brakes hard to see unless you get them to agree to it how you can get a refund others on here may be able to help.

Comment

Hi

I've not done anything about the spring yet they only mentioned it was broken, I may just get the part and do it myself. I read that a broken spring depending on where the break is may not always be a fail but was surprised I have not had any MOT paperwork advisories etc to confirm it has actually passed or a fail document to say the brakes were in need of replacement. The garage specializes in German and other high end cars and has a car sales site as well they always seem busy so they cannot be short of enough legit ways of covering their overheads instead of marking up parts prices by the amount they did.
                    My main question is, is it permissible for a company to fit the cheapest parts they can when the customer expects them to use OE or OEM parts and then charge them more for the parts than the OE OEM parts would have cost from the supplier they originally said they used?
                    I paid £132 labour inc VAT, that I can live with but I think I've been rooked a bit with their substituting really cheap parts yet charging even more than the top quality parts available for my car.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind you just to be on the safe side I'll take a look under the car with a torch later to check the springs for any breaks.

Comment

Can you ask them what parts they have fitted say you are a little worried about the quality

Comment

Hi

Yes I think that is a good next step, I'll send them an email so its in print.

Comment

Any coil spring that is broken is a reason for rejection. (MOT inspection manual Sec2.4 C.1)

Any garage which notes a broken spring and then supplies the car to a person to drive on the road is potentially committing a criminal act.
                          (Section 75 of the Road Traffic Act 1988)

The labour charge for replacing discs and pads sounds about right.
                          Bearing in mind no actual price was agreed the Consumer Rights Act 2015 has this to say about pricing for services at Chapter 4 sec 51:

51Reasonable price to be paid for a service

(1)
                          This section applies to a contract to supply a service if—

(a)
                          the consumer has not paid a price or other consideration for the service,

(b)
                          the contract does not expressly fix a price or other consideration, and does not say how it is to be fixed, and

(c)
                          anything that is to be treated under section 50 as included in the contract does not fix a price or other consideration either.

(2)
                          In that case the contract is to be treated as including a term that the consumer must pay a reasonable price for the service, and no more.

(3)
                          What is a reasonable price is a question of fact.

Comment

Hi

Have sent an email to the garage also chassed up the lack of MOT paperwork with them, fail notice pass document advisories etc.
                            Do you think I would have a case regarding the parts fitted as I was under the impression they would be using Merc parts or at the very least Merc approved / oem parts not cheapo ones?

Comment

Have they ever stated or put in writing what make of parts they would use?
                              you can check online if the car has a MOT

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X