• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bright sparks welding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bright sparks welding

Hi
    You have all been really helpful and I am grateful.
    I agree that it isn't just about stopping the bank standing order but it is a priority. Amethyst, again that is really helpful - I can really see how they got him to think he was signing up to something funded and worthwhile.
    They are cowboys Sparkie!! And I agree they are a learning provider and should ask about any learning difficulties to inform - if they are valid educators they would want to know....And preying on young men who need work and want training.

thank you again and I will start on this once he scans in the documents and sends me permission to liaise with them.

Comment

Hi,
      We have just gone through the same thing with our son today. we had a guy come round saying he'd been chosen out of 30 others in the area. The courses are sponsored by big companies like Carnegie. My husband had heard these people sponsor sports teams. We assumed the course was sponsored by a big company and you pay a share of £40 a week on a pay as you go basis. My son's advisor told him it would be advantageous to apply for a job in the welding industry as it will help his hands on career. My son did this and found a really good job, they told him that they'd put him through his codes and city and guilds and send him to college. My son rang up to cancel the course to be told NO by this snotty women on the phone.
      I have contacted a barrister today because not at any point did the advisor mention the forms he was signing was Carnegie financing and that he's taken out a loan for £7.145. The money must go straight to bright sparks because we haven't seen any of it .
      We feel like we've had the wool pulled over our eyes and they have asked him to sign something he was not aware of plus they have lied through their back teeth about the funding etc.
      My son starts his new job on the 1st of August and doesn't know if this will now jeopardise his chances as he's be away a week at a
      time on the practical courses.
      It sickens us they way they have dealt with our son and the advisors misconduct. There is no way my son would have entered in to a loan for £7.145 if he had done.

Comment

Originally posted by shezil64 View Post
        Hi,
        we had a guy come round saying he'd been chosen out of 30 others in the area.
        Were you or your husband present when the 'advisor' visited your son and how many visits were there?

Comment

The company responsible for taking out the £165/month is Carnegie Consumer; based in Glasgow. Their contact number is quite difficult to find on Google for some reason, but it is 08081683513.
          I had a sales rep from Bright Sparks Welding come round in about February time after having had a phone conversation with someone who contacted me over the phone that same day. And, yes they managed to sell it to me. They was honest with course costs etc.... But, here we are in July and I have run into financial difficulty about late June I have spoken to this Carnegie Consumer and they have been happy, after a financial review, to cut the monthly cost to £82.50 with a review in 6 months.
          With regard to the course I am at the stage where I really don't want to pursue with this course and am seriously thinking about terminating my position as a student.
          If your son wants to learn to weld go with a local college, I believe he will be better taught there. I, at current, haven't attended any practical training because of all the theory that they expect you to do before hand, I have all interest. Many people say use a local college. I have possibly spent over/nearly £1000 and not one practical session.

Comment

Yes we were present at the time. He came round twice. We are now in a real dispute with them as the course seller has now written a statement lying through is back teeth

Comment

Originally posted by shezil64 View Post
              Yes we were present at the time. He came round twice. We are now in a real dispute with them as the course seller has now written a statement lying through is back teeth
              Have you resolved this problem yet?

Comment

Can someone please help as im in the same situation i was signed up to the course when i was 19 with just myself and the advisor which now in hindsight is the most stupidest thing i have ever done, i live in Glasgow and wasn't told the nearest training center is in Leeds and i can't take eight weeks of practical training as im in full time employment i've been paying £165 for over one year and i really do need help canceling this if anyone can be of assistance i would be truly grateful.

Comment

I would just like to share a success story.... someone I know paid £110 to complete a claim online through https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online
                  to take Marlborough Information Services to court. A week before the court date Marlborough offered him all the money back that he had paid to them over a period of 12 months and sent him a cheque in the post for the full amount therefore he never actually ended up going to court

Comment

Fantastic to hear. Would you have a copy of his particulars of claim ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The money claim website is very basic when entering your details, there are only a limited number of characters when describing your case therefore you cannot go in to any great details.
                      once you have paid the fee, the claim will then be sent to the company to inform them what you are accusing them of, an hours mediation was then due to take place between my friend and them but for some reason the court decided that this would not take place and just sent him a court date instead.

The details of his case are... Basically someone came to his house to sell him the course in 2015 and told him that he could cancel at any time if he needed to, he paid the deposit on the day and then started making the regular payments, he did not start the course immediately due to other commitments and then a couple of months later he broke his back so called them to cancel. he was told he could not cancel for any reason, he can only delay the studies and whatever he decided to do he must continue to make all payments therefore he carried on paying. After a couple of months he looked in to the course and training provider and realised it was a scam therefore cancelled his payments.. Shortly after he received calls on a daily basis from the finance company (Caledonian Cosumer Finance) and threats that his debt would be sent to a debt collector, debt collectors were also sent out, so he started paying again! therefore he ended up paying for 12 months in total.
                      He then cancelled again and decided to take them to court at the beginning of this year.
                      He was taking them to court due to them mis-selling him the course, with the incorrect information and then not providing him with any tutor details (they only left him a couple of books on the day they visited) and also they didn't send him a counter signed copy of the credit agreement, he only has the copy with his signature on that he signed on the day and did not receive another one in the post with theirs on too, meaning that there is no 'contract' in place.

This whole process has been very straight forward, I started to collate all paperwork, evidence and stuff that they left on the day ready to take to court but it turned out we didn't get to that point as they wanted to settle outside.

Therefore all we did was pay the £110 fee through money claims online (back in February) and have been waiting for the court to get back to us with a mediation date and court date. since filing the claim through the court he has not been harrassed by the course company or the finance company, although he did receive a phone call from a debt collector, he explained the situation that he was taking them to court and hasn't heard from them since either.

Comment

That all sounds pretty standard. What's the actual situation with Caledonian now? Has that all been cancelled ?

What were his actual Particulars of claim? ( yes, am aware space is very limited - but it might help others who don't know where to start ) - did they enter any reply to the defence, or just wait through to getting a court date and failed to submit witness statements/exhibits preferring to settle?
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X