• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Chance of dismissal after DBS check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance of dismissal after DBS check

Hi
    I need some advice please
    I started work with a large supply chain company in Dec 2013. When I made my application I was up front about my criminal record and never lied about was on it. I have a GBH charge from when I served in the army. Anyway after a couple of months after starting with this company I had to have an investigation about my DBS and I explained everything that happened and they told me it would go to a panel of senior people and they would make a decision. So after a few weeks they came back and told me there was no further action and they were happy for me to continue working, so I was very happy. Fast forward to April 2016 and I get a phone call that I needed to come up to the office in work to discuss my DBS. So I go in and they tell me they are doing another DBS check on me and that they would get back to me in few weeks. So I spoke to my union rep about a month after and he tells me that I shouldn't expect to hear back from that and it will be fine. About 2 days ago I receive a letter telling me I have a hearing on Monday 4th July, so I went to see my senior shop steward and he tells me that they are moving to dismiss me. Which I fought was strange after being there for 2 years 7 months with no problems in between which I thought was unfair personally.
    My shop steward has told me that he is fights this action but I'm really worried. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice.

Thanks mike
    Tags: None

Re: Chance of dismissal after DBS check

Mike
    I am not lawyer but can you show that the company knew about your record when they hired you and also did the dbs check and kept you on.

Your company should also have a policy on employing ex offenders, does it and have you seen it?

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply.

I haven't seen it yet but I will look on Monday. The union are telling my that if I do get sacked I could take to tribunal but I'm hoping it won't go that far. I have told the truth from day one, just think it's strange that it's took nearly 3 years for them to decide I'm not worthy. I have got good character references of all my supervisors since I've been there. Just hope the union does help me out like there saying.

Comment

Hi

Puzzling case, from an HR persons point of view the DRB checks are recommended to be renewed every three years, have they had a change of staff in the HR dept of late, its possible you have a new person who's being a bit of a jobsworth. Also have the company been making people redundant or not renewing contracts, its possible they are looking for a cheap way of cutting staff, although with your period of service and your good references from supervisors it is a bit odd having a second hearing when one was already held and you were deemed OK to be employed, you have been honest with them from the start so just hang in there and see what happens. Seems like you have a switched on union rep so hopefully all will work out ok for you.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's been dealt with now and I've had no further action. They said they have seen there errors after the union threaten industrial action. Thanks for the help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X