• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer - unreasonable re childcare !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer - unreasonable re childcare !

Hi

I am hoping someone can offer me some advice.

I am currently employed full time (have been with current employer 13 days short of 2 years)

2 weeks ago myself and 100 colleagues were given Notice of Redundancy, since then the work has dried up in the area I work.

My employer is now asking me to travel 70 miles each way to work in a different location.

I have no issue with this as I work 12hr shifts and i will be travelling 2hrs each way and and 8hr shift when i get there...

I am due back at work at 1200 tomorrow (Saturday) and yesterday afternoon I received an email from my employer stating that they are asking me to travel to this new location but changing my start time to 1100hrs.

I have childcare issues on a weekend and the child minder does not arrive until 1100 and is unable to arrive sooner - I also need to give 7 days notice to my child minder.

I notified my employer of this and that less than 48 hrs notice is not suitable as i need to give notice to my child minder 7 days in advance.
    (Note: I only have childminder issues on a weekend as my wife works weekends until 2pm)

My employer is stating that they have given adequate notice (the policy is ambiguous as there is no stated timescale in it - it only states suitable notice is required)

Is my employer in their email also became intimidating by stating all other personnel have changed their start time which i feel is stating that I am unreasonable !!

This situation has only arisen as the work locally has stopped and we are under notice of redundancy so through no fault of my own...

Please can someone advise me on the situation - I did notify my employer that I am unable to start until 1130hrs and would be at my base station at that time if they wanted to meet and discuss...

Regards
    Tags: None

Re: Employer - unreasonable re childcare !

Originally posted by stav4187 View Post
    Hi

I am hoping someone can offer me some advice.

I am currently employed full time (have been with current employer 13 days short of 2 years)

2 weeks ago myself and 100 colleagues were given Notice of Redundancy, since then the work has dried up in the area I work.

My employer is now asking me to travel 70 miles each way to work in a different location.

I have no issue with this as I work 12hr shifts and i will be travelling 2hrs each way and and 8hr shift when i get there...

I am due back at work at 1200 tomorrow (Saturday) and yesterday afternoon I received an email from my employer stating that they are asking me to travel to this new location but changing my start time to 1100hrs.

I have childcare issues on a weekend and the child minder does not arrive until 1100 and is unable to arrive sooner - I also need to give 7 days notice to my child minder.

I notified my employer of this and that less than 48 hrs notice is not suitable as i need to give notice to my child minder 7 days in advance.
    (Note: I only have childminder issues on a weekend as my wife works weekends until 2pm)

My employer is stating that they have given adequate notice (the policy is ambiguous as there is no stated timescale in it - it only states suitable notice is required)

Is my employer in their email also became intimidating by stating all other personnel have changed their start time which i feel is stating that I am unreasonable !!

This situation has only arisen as the work locally has stopped and we are under notice of redundancy so through no fault of my own...

Please can someone advise me on the situation - I did notify my employer that I am unable to start until 1130hrs and would be at my base station at that time if they wanted to meet and discuss...

Regards
    Hello Stav

I don't understand if you're commuting what you're saying about the child minder arriving at 11am. You say you can start at 11.30 but not 11am as your childminder doesn't arrive until then.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X