• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Joint PPI claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Claim

I dealt with a joint loan ppi refund last year and that also was paid back separately to both parties.

So I don't think that can be altered in any way by your original lender. .

So its really up to you to come to some sort of amicable agreement between yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
      I dealt with a joint loan ppi refund last year and that also was paid back separately to both parties.

So I don't think that can be altered in any way by your original lender. .

So its really up to you to come to some sort of amicable agreement between yourselves.
      Hi
      thanks the bank paid us both the same amount ( mine came in wrong name !! So they are sending me another ) but ex took his and now wants mine as he feels the loan payments came from his account but loan was in both names I just paid other things ? So I want to keep my half as he has already had his, so can he make a claim on my half ?
      Thanks

Comment

Not really sure--I deal mainly with PPI sums-I'll ask [U @nemesis45 [/U] to join the thread
        @nemesis45

Comment

Originally posted by Sapper 62 View Post
          i need advice to if i have to give him any as its in my name and he had his half,I am happy to go back to the original offer but not sure if they can force me to give it all up if the checque is in my name and he had his and kept it all ? we were married 22 years and the loan taken out in 2009
          Are you now divorced, and if so was there a formal financial settlement as part of the divorce proceedings?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
            Are you now divorced, and if so was there a formal financial settlement as part of the divorce proceedings?

Di
            We are not divorced , he was sorting a financial agreement that we both were happy with ... He continued with mortgage payment until daughter is 18 then I have the house and he keeps his pension( he has interest in another house but has put it in another nname !! ) then this PPI came in he got half but now is blackmailing me if I don't give him the other half in my name he will take the house ? So I just need advice if he can to get my half of PPI when he claimed his ?

Comment

We are not divorced , he was sorting a financial agreement that we both were happy with ... He continued with mortgage payment until daughter is 18 then I have the house and he keeps his pension( he has interest in another house but has put it in another nname !! ) then this PPI came in he got half but now is blackmailing me if I don't give him the other half in my name he will take the house ? So I just need advice if he can to get my half of PPI when he claimed his ?
              Or maybe you also need advice on how to deal with the overall ex-marriage financial situation?

I know nothing about Family Law (not my area of law) but I have been divorced.

In fact my divorce lasted longer than my marriage

Di

Comment

Thanks I will seek advice but my main concern at the moment was the PPI as the cheque I get is half and loan was in both names ? I am happy to give him some although he took his half but I have lots of unfinished jobs I need to do that he left !! So really he has had his 50% so I want mine

Comment

my main concern at the moment was the PPI as the cheque I get is half and loan was in both names ? I am happy to give him some although he took his half but I have lots of unfinished jobs I need to do that he left !! So really he has had his 50% so I want mine
                  That seems a reasonable approach.

May I ask if the house is in joint names ? I think you said he's paying all of the mortgage at the moment (is it a joint mortgage?) until your child reaches 18 years old (an informal arrangement).

If he stops paying the mortgage because you fall out over this PPI refund issue (you've hinted that might happen) would that not place a risk on the roof over you and your child's head? If the mortgage doesn't get paid then the lender may seek to repossess the property.

I still think this issue may be part of the bigger picture even if you are entitled to keep the PPI reclaim/refund.

How much is the PPI pay out?

When will your daughter be 18 which is the moment you say he will stop paying the mortgage?

Di

Comment

Yes the house is in joint names and he decided that he would pay the mortgage and give me no money for daughter if I left his police pension alone and also he has bought another house in France with another partner now so doesn't want me to have any of that, I offered to pay half mortgage and he give me money for daughter but he refused that , we got £16,000 each of PPI I only work part time, the bank gave him his then I had to claim mine as its in my name. I don't want his pension although I know it's worth at least £600 per month to me

Comment

The original agreement he was having completed by a solicitor where I would pay all costs and stay in the house till daughter 18 he would pay mortgage, then we would look at me taking in mortgage this was his idea, as he really did not want me to share his pension and we have been married over 20 years

Comment

Hi
                        thanks the bank paid us both the same amount ( mine came in wrong name !! So they are sending me another ) but ex took his and now wants mine as he feels the loan payments came from his account but loan was in both names I just paid other things ? So I want to keep my half as he has already had his, so can he make a claim on my half ?
                        Thanks

Good morning Sapper,

Did you receive a breakdown of how the refund was calculated for each account.

In my opinion the payment is fair as this was a joint account, the only scenario would I think for your ex to be claiming that you had made no contribution to the loan repayments, but then if there was some agreement between you that they would pay the instalment whilst you contributed more say to the " household " budget.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                          Good morning Sapper,

Did you receive a breakdown of how the refund was calculated for each account.

In my opinion the payment is fair as this was a joint account, the only scenario would I think for your ex to be claiming that you had made no contribution to the loan repayments, but then if there was some agreement between you that they would pay the instalment whilst you contributed more say to the " household " budget.

nem
                          Hi
                          well yes at that time we or at least I had no intention of marraige split so he payed loan I payed other things like new TV and new sofa all on payment scheme, this was not in writing as we were married and everything was equal, he is controlling all the shots basically, he would never have told me about the claim but the bank informed him he could only have us half, he told me he was doing it with the mortgage also ? Like I have mentioned I will give him some ( although he didn't share his ) but the house I live in is in desperate need of repair the electrics are a danger so I am only going to spend it on making the house safer for myself and daughter, if he tried to take me to court wouldn't that cost him ?

Comment

Hi again
                            I have just spoken to PPI company and they informed me it was my half also the paper work they sent gave me a breakdown of it and that sated it was a joint loan and any refund due is to be split in equal parts, they have broken it down and given a figure saying " the amount is your share of the total refund " so do you think ( I know you can only advise ) knowing this he would find it hard to take me to court, also as I did pay other household things whilst we were married some things are not t be shown such as children's bits but it was a contribution
                            Views would be appreciated

Comment

Hi
                              well yes at that time we or at least I had no intention of marraige split so he payed loan I payed other things like new TV and new sofa all on payment scheme, this was not in writing as we were married and everything was equal, he is controlling all the shots basically, he would never have told me about the claim but the bank informed him he could only have us half, he told me he was doing it with the mortgage also ? Like I have mentioned I will give him some ( although he didn't share his ) but the house I live in is in desperate need of repair the electrics are a danger so I am only going to spend it on making the house safer for myself and daughter, if he tried to take me to court wouldn't that cost him ?
                              Hi,
                              Yes taking court action would in my opinion be wasted money for him.
                              I don't think you have any obligation morally or legally to give him any of your share.

nem

Comment

I will give him some ( although he didn't share his ) but the house I live in is in desperate need of repair the electrics are a danger so I am only going to spend it on making the house safer for myself and daughter, if he tried to take me to court wouldn't that cost him ?
                                In the absence of a formal financial arrangement following your separation I can't see any grounds he's got to take you to court for the PPI refund paid to you.

Why not get written estimates for all the work which needs doing to make the property safe for you and your (his too!) daughter. Ask the contractors to include any relevant wording on the estimates such as "rewire to comply with current building regulations" etc.

Sometimes it helps to present someone with a logical reason for doing something which they don't like (i.e. not handing over the money). Perhaps when he realizes his daughter will benefit from the expenditure he'll stop being so agitated about it.

You've not said who will own (in law) the house when your child reaches 18 years old. If it's in both names you may need to explore the potential for him to claim his financial interest (in the equity) if he has been paying the mortgage for years. It's nice to have a private arrangement but sometimes you need to protect yourself in the event things turn sour at a later date.

If you have already agreed how the property equity will eventually be divided (or not) then he might see that money spent on repairing and maintaining the house is also in his best interests.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X