• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Quitting a New Part Time Job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting a New Part Time Job

Hi, I've been at this new part time job for 2 weeks now, but am not enjoying it because my manager treats me awfully, and I want to quit.

I do not know how much notice is required, as I never received a copy of my employment contract. How do you advise I go about quitting?

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Quitting a New Part Time Job

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying your new job. There is nothing worse than dreading going into work and you are right to quit if no solution can be found.
    Now I am assuming this is a small company with no HR department or many layers of management?
    I stand to be corrected but if you are paid weekly and have only been there 2 weeks then wait until you are paid then hand in one weeks written notice. I assume this job has nothing to do with job seekers allowance or is conditional in any way? If not that is what I would do and be brave and honest about your reasons for quitting. If the horrible boss is not the owner then I would address my notice to his superior stating clearly and calmly the facts including any specific events where you felt your manager behaved badly.
    I am sure one of the more experienced beagles will be along soon to give better advice re your legal position.
    Oh,and good luck px

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

Legally you needn't give anything other than 'reasonable notice' - one week is likely to be reasonable - it's only after you have worked a month that you must give one week's notice though unless your contract of employment states otherwise. The have to give you a written statement of the terms and conditions of employment within two months of starting,

How many hours approx do you work? Two weeks doesn't sound very long if part-time. Are there other staff, and are they happy working there? Is your manager's behaviour towards you different than to other staff ?

As Paws says if there is any senior manager over your direct manager you could try having a chat with them before making a decision.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yeah I think 1 week notice is fair, to be honest a few of the places I've worked people have only given a few days notice if they've been there less than a month.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X