• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Damage to property.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to property.

Hi, last night my friend hosted a big event with 152 people in attendance. It has been a year in the planning. He has done a lot of running around to sort it out. The DJ we hired is a long time friend and cousin. He has a very high earning events business. We found out that a couple of days before the event he couldn't do but he would dress the venue Oscar style with a red carpet and lighting (3 part venue) in the morning and he would send a dj over for the event.

Come the day of the event, there was a bit of an argument between our DJ and the facility manager at the venue. He rigged part of the venue with the lighting but refused to the rest and walked off the premises.
    The DJ was ok but not the best.

10:30 (party finished at 12:00) his rigging crew turned up to dismantle the lights. They said they weren't happy with red carpet as it had rained outside and got a little muddy. We weren't aware it was our responsibility to move it.

We signed some forms (we didn't take copies). But we were given mates rates at about £350 for the full job.

He has asked us to ring him about the red carpet as he says it is runnied. What are our obligations?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Damage to property.

Hi and welcome

For the life of me I cannot see how the event's arranger can expect the partygoers to lift a carpet if it rains!
    It should IMO be regarded as one of the overheads of the business and the cost be built into their pricing.

On the other hand it really will be necessaryto see what your contract (those signed forms) say.

It is worth noting that the trader (your cousin) is required by the regulations to supply in a durable medium certain information.
    SEC 5 of this link gives details (in a digestable format!) http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstan...ises-sales.htm

Comment

Thanks you for your reply
      we organised the event in a school, he came in as a provider of music and lights.
      Does that change anything.

Comment

Not in my opinion

Comment

Thank you so much. I didn't want to go in a say we have no obligations when we did.

Comment

Hello MissSunny

May I ask whether the partygoers had a good time? They probably didn't notice the histrionics going on between the DJ and the lighting crew if the music was loud enough. I hope the event wasn't ruined by their 'artistic temperament' but if it was then let him know they spoilt it. I think it's always good to gain the moral high ground before you go legal.

He may say the red carpet is ruined but I doubt that. Most carpet will scrub up after a professional steam clean. If he chases you for any kind of payment ask him for evidence that the carpet was in perfect condition when it arrived at the venue. This is a before and after comparison situation.

I also think he should be reminded that your 'red carpet' event was in the UK where it rains occasionally, not in Hollywood!

I doubt you are responsible for anything unless you signed a contract with clear terms and conditions before the event (which you imply you didn't). I'd also like to think that asking you to sign something (a contract) after the event which could commit you to some legal obligation for an event which had already taken place (which you wouldn't have known at the time you signed it) won't hold much water in court. That would be Dr Who law.

The trouble with 'mates rates' is you tend to get mates' service levels.

Let us know if he dares to ask you for any money for the alleged soiled carpet and we'll take it from there.

Di x
            Last edited by Diana M; 2nd July 2016, 21:25:PM. Reason: typos galore

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes the party goers had a fantastic evening. We found the document we signed and it was a date Booker form no legal things on it. The mates rates where less than he said too which is irrelevant now. Your right I would rather pay a decent company than one that will feel agrieived at being payed less. Lesson learnt. One of the committee member took it over as she is a business owner and felt that as relatives was a conflict of interest. He has not responded to any messages. Thank you for all your advice
              Sonia

Comment

Originally posted by MissSunny77 View Post
                He has not responded to any messages.
                So it seems common sense prevailed if you've not been billed for the soggy carpet.

In my personal experience 'demands' made late at night (especially after a party) can vary from those made in the cold light of day.

Good luck with your next event.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X