• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Delinquent Bank Account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delinquent Bank Account

I have a Bank Account on my credit file marked as “Delinquent” with a balance on it.

Just looked back at the statements and the last time I used the account was Jan 2010 which had a zero balance on it at the time I closed it end Jan 2010. I closed the account as I started to get into financial trouble and only wanted one account to manage but the bank started to report arrears in Feb 2010.

The account came with some free stuff for a small monthly payment i.e. phone cover, roadside assistance etc. Phoned the bank today and they never closed the account but have been taking a monthly fee for the phone cover roadside assistance etc that came with the account plus adding a overdrawn fee each month since Feb 2010.

I’ve not received any statements since Jan 2010 or bank card etc and have not received any phone calls from the bank regarding the account.

As the account first went into arrears in Feb 2010 and it’s over 6 years what should I do?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Delinquent Bank Account

Originally posted by big_al View Post
    I have a Bank Account on my credit file marked as “Delinquent” with a balance on it.

Just looked back at the statements and the last time I used the account was Jan 2010 which had a zero balance on it at the time I closed it end Jan 2010. I closed the account as I started to get into financial trouble and only wanted one account to manage but the bank started to report arrears in Feb 2010.

The account came with some free stuff for a small monthly payment i.e. phone cover, roadside assistance etc. Phoned the bank today and they never closed the account but have been taking a monthly fee for the phone cover roadside assistance etc that came with the account plus adding a overdrawn fee each month since Feb 2010.

I’ve not received any statements since Jan 2010 or bank card etc and have not received any phone calls from the bank regarding the account.

As the account first went into arrears in Feb 2010 and it’s over 6 years what should I do?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
    Good morning Al,
    If payments have been made since 2010 e.g. the monthly fee for the packaged account the statute barred "clock " is reset by each payment.

Which bank is this ( NatWest by any chance?)

Your way forward is to make a Formal Complaint to the bank, at director level ( e.g. Director of Retail/Personal Banking) enclose copies of any correspondence about the closure of the account.
    A formal complaint requires the recipient to fully investigate and respond to it within 56 days, if the response is " unacceptable " you can take the matter to FOS.

It's often pointless trying to sort such a problem on the phone, the " customer service " operatives don't seem to have any authority to actual tackle the problem so keep everything in writing so you have a " paper trail ".

nem

Comment

Thanks Nem

I cant believe they continued to pay the account fee for the mobile phone ins and car recovery as the account has no overdraft on it and then charge me a bank fee for going overdrawn each month.

The current balance is over £4200 made up of the monthly bank account fees and the fees for going overdrawn each month.

I've checked my credit file to see if they have a defaulted notification on the account but I cant see one just the status of "Delinquent"

If I cant get them to close the account with no cost to me and wipe the balance what are my options.

Comment

Originally posted by big_al View Post
        Thanks Nem

I cant believe they continued to pay the account fee for the mobile phone ins and car recovery as the account has no overdraft on it and then charge me a bank fee for going overdrawn each month.

The current balance is over £4200 made up of the monthly bank account fees and the fees for going overdrawn each month.

I've checked my credit file to see if they have a defaulted notification on the account but I cant see one just the status of "Delinquent"

If I cant get them to close the account with no cost to me and wipe the balance what are my options.
        The formal complaint hopefully will get the desired result if not the complaint goes to FOS.

Also not defaulting the account in a reasonable time is a valid challenge, and I would speculate not defaulting the account is in order to keep adding fees and charges particularly as you say the account had a zero balance.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X