• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car issues

Hello all and apologies if it is in the wrong thread - wasn't sure if to post it here or under Motoring.

So, I bought a car for just over £10000 and collected on Tuesday. Yesterday evening, a part of the brake pedal came off thus causing me to hit the car in front. Thankfully no-one hurt as was only doing 20 mph however damage to both vehicles.

I am not sure what to do as this part should not have come off an under 3 year old car. When I spoke to the Peugeot dealer manager, he had not heard of this ever happening and would need to contact his legal team. He said on the phone that this part shouldn't come off and would be well adhesived down! He also mentioned about proof.

Obviously I am concerned about the road safety of my vehicle as well as the financial implications of getting my car back to how it was before the accident as well as the increased costs of the insurance as I have now lost 2 years NCB.

Thanks for any advice and help. Any questions please ask!
    Tags: None

Re: Car issues

If the car is still in your possession then take some photographs, if you can, of the part that came apart.

Comment

I will get this done after work - the part itself is a rubber covering to the brake pedal which shot off. Apparently it is should be "well adhesived down"

Comment

I can imagine how gutted you must be to have a newish car for only a few days and end up with a minor shunt.

Apologies, and without sounding cynical, I think you may have a tough time convincing the dealership that the accident was down to a slipped pedal rubber if the metal pedal remained fully usable .... having said that, you would need to see the pedal and rubber to fully assess that. Of course, it's a shame as the vehicle is now dented and your no claims is under threat. Even if the rubber moving could have affected braking, the fact remains that you shunted from the rear. This would have been exactly the same had the brakes actually failed due to, say, a hydraulic failure.

I wouldn't be concerned about the overall road safety of the vehicle unless you have confirmed suspicions that it needs a full safety check.

As said, I believe you will have a tough time convincing the dealership that they hold some liability ... perhaps the best you could hope for is that they display some goodwill towards the situation if you remain adamant that the rubber cover was the root of the cause here.

Comment

My initial reaction (subject to change if further info becomes available!)
          If the anti slip provision on a brake pedal is missing the vehicle will fail its MOT.
          The fact that the pad has misplaced so soon after purchase is a fault covered under the provision of CRA 2015.
          The fault could well be the sole reason for the accident and so IMO the dealer/financiers should be held responsible.
          Obviously Peugeot are going to be interested (as possibly ultimatey liable) as they don't want a fault such as this to reoccur.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X