• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed re removing defaults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed re removing defaults

I took out 2 credit accounts in my ex partners name and subsequently defaulted on them. Recently he had a mortgage application declined after which the debts were paid off in full. However, this has made no difference to his credit rating. Both companies are aware that the accounts are fraudulent and I have admitted this in writing but they will not remove them.

I would admit the fraud to the police if this would help him to have the defaults removed but we would both like to avoid this. The reason being the nature of my job means I am required to register and would be struck off.

Is there any way to remove the defaults without him reporting this to the police? Or can he report it so he gets a crime number but ask them not to pursue his complaint? Or would the police pursue it anyway?
    Tags: None

Re: Advice needed re removing defaults

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/credit/

Someone else has used my details to try to get credit fraudulently and there have been lots of searches carried out in my name. Can I get these removed from my credit file?

Searches on your credit file should not have a negative impact on your credit history. Lots of searches in a short space of time however can imply that you are having problems getting credit which, in itself, can impact an organisations decision about whether it will give you credit or not.
    If you believe you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to the relevant fraud departments of the organisations involved. As fraud is a crime, you should consider reporting this issue to the police if they are not already aware.
    The ICO cannot investigate matters of fraud as this falls outside of our remit, and we do not have the power to make a decision on whether or not an account has been opened and/or operated fraudulently.
    However, if a lender has acknowledged that an entry on your credit file relates to a fraudulently operated account, but refused to remove the entry we may be able to look into a complaint about the fairness and relevance of this entry remaining. If you are able to provide us with evidence from the lender(s) concerned demonstrating that they have acknowledged the account was operated fraudulently but have failed or refused to remove the corresponding entries from your credit file you may wish toreport your concerns to us. Each of the CRAs also has their own Victim of Fraud Teams who work together to help resolve issues which relate to fraudulent activity. The CRAs have a special agreement in place which enables them to share information with each other about victims of fraud. This means that once you have notified one of the CRAs that you have been the victim of fraud you should not need to notify the other two. They will do this for you.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I suspect this does have to go to the police.

Look at it from the lender's point of view: suppose your ex has a couple of inconvenient defaults on his file and has persuaded his ex to say they took them out fraudulently ... I'm not saying this is what happened, but from the lenders point of view it could have if you are both reluctant to involve the police.

I don't think you can report a crime to get a reference number and ask the police not to pursue it!

How old are the defaults?

Comment

Yes I understand why the lenders are reluctant to remove them as it would be easy to claim this to have them removed. They are about 4 years old but he wants them removed now as he wants to get a mortgage with his new partner.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply. My ex partner has reported it to the fraud departments of both lenders but they need a crime reference number.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Jay View Post
          Yes I understand why the lenders are reluctant to remove them as it would be easy to claim this to have them removed. They are about 4 years old but he wants them removed now as he wants to get a mortgage with his new partner.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply. My ex partner has reported it to the fraud departments of both lenders but they need a crime reference number.
          It would be best for your ex to visit a local police station taking with him letters from the creditors.

nem

Comment

If the defaults are over 3 years old and the debts have been repaid in full, then there may be mortgage lenders who will offer a mortgage at a reasonable interest rate. Suggest to your ex that he needs to talk to a mortgage broker and find out his options.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X