• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex partner sold the washing machinewhich I paid for

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex partner sold the washing machinewhich I paid for

My partner and I split after he was charged, and admitted assault, He was told he had to return the items from his house, which I had paid for. When the courier delivered what he had sent, my £1100 washing was not included, he said he had sold it to pay out bills, also my bedroom units, which were glass veneered, were all damaged.
    I do have proof that I had paid for these items, but could I claim any compensation for the loss of the washing machine, and damaged to the units. (courier took photo's before loading, and the units were at a different address, so he had moved them since we split)

Any advice would be gratefull
    Tags: None

Re: Ex partner sold the washing machinewhich I paid for

You'd have to go through the courts to recover the monies from him. Is that something you want to do?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

We have just finished the court case for the assault charges, during the meetings with the police, they said the items remaining in the property, still legally belongs to the purchaser, we would have to go through the civil courts to regain possession. The prosecution barrister did make the condition,that the list of items , which included the washing machine, must be returned.
      He claims he has sold it, although I suspect it has been moved to a "Safe house". he even had the local police visit his house,take photos, to prove it wasn't at HIS address.
      I would go though the courts, depending on what kind of costs are involved, and weather he would have to pay my costs. etc

Comment

Well you can claim the amount back through court and you can claim the costs of the application back as well.

The question of costs depends on how much the washing machine was worth, you say £1,100 is that the purchase price? If so then you wil need to give a realistic value of what the current market price would be.

Regardless of whether he's hiding it you can claim it back based on conversion it's essentially the civil theft, treating the goods as if they were his own.

You can do a claim via money claims online can't remember the costs but you can google them and tell you how much your likely to pay for what you are claiming.

Other thing you have to bare in mind is whether he has the money to pay you
        Last edited by R0b; 13th June 2016, 11:26:AM.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I accept your comment about wheather he would be able to pay, and I doubt if he would. The original price was £1106.00 last Oct 2015, It's the fact that I am 99% certain, he knows where that machine is.
          I will have a look on-line to see if I can place a claim against him there.

Thanks for your advice Rob

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X