• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*WON* 70 Page PROSECUTION STATEMENT - Parking Eye!!! - won

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Page PROSECUTION STATEMENT - Parking Eye!!! - won

Just to add to M1's post, sending a letter to PE is more out of courtesy than an official procedure. However if you are going to email PE I would suggest also inserting the UKSC Case Willers v Gubay and explaining that you object to their discontinuance without any liabiity and considering claiming costs back. Referring them to the UKSC that damages can be brought without reasonable grounds and is considered malicious therefore you invite them to offer a reaosnable sum of costs incurred.

I've attached an example schedule of costs you can use to send to them and the court. If you send to PE give them 7 days to reply if not write to the court.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R0b; 28th July 2016, 08:56:AM. Reason: amended Costs Schedule
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
      Work out what you want including £19 an hour and email PE and ask for that (7/14 days to respond). In the likely event they refuse then try something like what i posted before the LIP rate went from £18 to £19 so edit where required.

M1
      Parking Eye were coming after you for an £85 penalty, right? If you ask them for even 5 x £19 per hour LIP of your preparation/ time on this case, this is £95. It's simply therefore in their interest to pursue the case whether continuation or start from afresh, albeit based on the same claimant statement.

Is it such a good idea though to disturb the hornet's nest. I think I agree with Rob insofar as you got the result you wanted in the end. It may be better to let sleeping dogs lie just in case in principle they decide to open up a new can of worms so to speak. Is it worth all the continued hassle, stress?

Comment

What are PE going to do ? They discontinued. they're screwed. It's not like Penny is making an actual application with the associated costs risk.

M1

Comment

A simple letter application to the court will not stir up PE.
          If that failed to gain the court's support an official application might be a different matter in that they could (and probably would) contest the application.

My own experience of submitting a letter in a similar situation was directions to submit an application for a court order ( which eventually failed to move the judge)
          However a letter costs virtually nothing, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            PE & their ilk seem to think that muttering the magic word 'Beavis' is some kind of all-powerful incantation by which everyone will capitulate & pay their exorbitant (penalty) fees.

Not sure why, the companion word 'Butt-head' springs to mind!

:biggrin1:
            Nice words, incantation/ capitulate. Passionate Charity makes for a wordsmith

Comment

Originally posted by Penny1 View Post
              Hi everybody,

I think I will email the courts stating that I wish to pursue PE for costs due to them behaving unreasonably; they knew this had no chance of winning in court. (Using the template provided by mystery1).

I think around £200 is reasonable. I've still had to book the day off work (which is the bulk of the money I want to recoup). Printed off loads of pages of documents and pictures. Time spent researching into all this is barely even taken into account!

Is it really worth emailing PE aswell? I don't even want to give them the time of day...but if that is what you all advise is the correct procedure then I will do so reluctantly

Love Penny x
              Penny, if a party withdraws or discontinues without permission from the court, under CPR they're entitled to all their costs, actually. You don't need to rely on the malicious prosecution type claim against Parking Eye, to recover your costs therefore. Parking Eye simply instituted proceedings against you then dropped the case at their whim/ leisure. How many hours have you put in on this case? I think you've put in a lot more than 10 hours. I think it's unfair anyway that a litigant in person is only worth £18 or £19 an hour when a lawyer could paid several hundred pound an hour for their costs, especially in these type of actions.

Comment

CPR 38.6:
                (1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.
                3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                  Penny, if a party withdraws or discontinues without permission from the court, under CPR they're entitled to all their costs, actually. You don't need to rely on the malicious prosecution type claim against Parking Eye, to recover your costs therefore. Parking Eye simply instituted proceedings against you then dropped the case at their whim/ leisure. How many hours have you put in on this case? I think you've put in a lot more than 10 hours. I think it's unfair anyway that a litigant in person is only worth £18 or £19 an hour when a lawyer could paid several hundred pound an hour for their costs, especially in these type of actions.
                  Really ? Which cpr would that be ?

Even if the CPR applied as you state, it would not be the party who withdrew who were entitled to their costs. Basically what you said was that PE are entitled to their costs from Penny because they withdrew. Err, no.

M1

Comment

Hey,

I feel like we are now progressing well on this final stage

Thanks Rob for that document on costs. I will use that and quote UKSC Case Willers v Gubay in email to PE. Plus the CPR points the des8 mentioned...for good measure lol.
                    I will then give them 7 days to reply.

If that does not work then I will email courts using M1 template...

Then we wait with bated breath...

Love Penny1 x

Comment

Penny, the CPR rule Des8 supplied does not apply to small claims. If the claim has been allocated to the small claims track already then you cannot rely on that rule and the rule you can only rely on is CPR 44.2 (4) and (5) which says that a court has discretion to award costs for unreasonable conduct and factors to be taking into account.
                      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        CPR 38.6:
                        (1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.
                        3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track.
                        Good spot, Des8. Ok, Penny's case is a small claim and won't benefit this continuance which is unfair. Moving on, back to reliance on the recent Supreme Court case citing a malicious prosecution as I said initially.

Comment

Really ? Which cpr would that be ?

Even if the CPR applied as you state, it would not be the party who withdrew who were entitled to their costs. Basically what you said was that PE are entitled to their costs from Penny because they withdrew. Err, no.

M1
                          No, am saying if it would have applied in Penny's case, that since Parking Eye discontinued/ withdrew without court permission she would normally have been entitled to recover her costs against Parking Eye. It doesn't apply for her though as shown by CPR 38.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                            No, am saying if it would have applied in Penny's case, that since Parking Eye discontinued/ withdrew without court permission she would normally have been entitled to recover her costs against Parking Eye. It doesn't apply for her though as shown by CPR 38.6.
                            I knew what you meant to say but that's not what you DID say and i knew it was also incorrect as you would have if you'd have read post 162.

M1

Comment

I knew what you meant to say but that's not what you DID say and i knew it was also incorrect as you would have if you'd have read post 162.

M1
                              In the second part - were it to apply to Penny - that she would be entitled to costs. In the first statement it was stated to the contrary, which is a contradiction.

I really thought I said the opponent of the party who discontinues is entitled to costs, ie if it applied in Penny's case she would be so entitled. I am dyslexic. It seems some things I write although actually appearing to me verbatim are simply not there, even when I read it back. So, it's not just a case of being confused, I knew what I wanted to say and believed I had written it, albeit it never happened. At the time I am so certain I typed what I intended. Amethyst noticed this problem too.
                              Last edited by Openlaw15; 28th July 2016, 11:36:AM.

Comment

Maybe I got a little ahead of myself...

I've still had no confirmation from the courts stating that they recieved a discontinuance letter from PE...do i still have to turn up to court as a precaution?

I have also noticed on the discontinuance letter that they posted to me...that they have spelt my name wrong...instead of Penny it says Panny!

Could they pull a sly one and say the discontinuance letter was not addressed to myself because a letter in my name is wrong? (surname and address is correct)

Now im worried again...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X