• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent advice needed... Claim form - Cabot Financial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Urgent advice needed... Claim form - Cabot Financial

Are you showing up as the defendant on MCOL? No you're not doing a counter claim.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks. I have acknowledged debt as the defendant. CCA and CPR forms will be posted first thing in the morning. Do I just wait now?

Comment

Originally posted by DixieDean View Post
        Even though this debt is over 6 years old, does it matter if Cabot took on the debt less than 6 years ago.
        The "age "of debt is not relevant an account opened 10 years ago for instance then defaulted a couple of years ago is open to litigation.
        The Limitation Act 1980 (England & Wales ) provides for a period of 6 years after which no action can be started IF there has been no payment or written acknowledgment of the debt, the start of the relevant 6 years varies with the type of account.

The date of the last payment is no longer a reliable as the start of the 6 period.

The debt still being on credit files is as said correct the default date shown on the CRA files does not relate to the time the " cause of action accrued ".

Cabot buys debts in huge portfolio lots not one at a time the date Cabot acquired the debt is not relevant.

nem

Comment

Hi all,

I have now received a letter from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors saying the following:

"We confirm our client is willing to agree to the extension of 28 days, for you to file your defense. Pursuant to CPR 15.5(2) please notify the court in writing of the agreement.

CPR 31.14 relates to the right to inspect a document and can be distinguished from standard disclosure of evidence during the course of proceedings.

We believe that you may have already "inspected" the documents to which you make reference because on various dates in the past they would have been sent to you by another party such as the original creditor.

we would be grateful if you could confirm what documents you have in your possession or control relating to this matter to avoid duplication over document inspection. We will then take our client's instructions."

Can anyone advise what my next step should be please?

Comment

Hi all,

I have now received a letter from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors saying the following:

"We confirm our client is willing to agree to the extension of 28 days, for you to file your defense. Pursuant to CPR 15.5(2) please notify the court in writing of the agreement.

CPR 31.14 relates to the right to inspect a document and can be distinguished from standard disclosure of evidence during the course of proceedings.

We believe that you may have already "inspected" the documents to which you make reference because on various dates in the past they would have been sent to you by another party such as the original creditor.

we would be grateful if you could confirm what documents you have in your possession or control relating to this matter to avoid duplication over document inspection. We will then take our client's instructions."

Can anyone advise what my next step should be please?
            You must inform the court in writing (e-mail with a copy of their letter is fine) otherwise the court process will continue.

Reply confirming that you have informed the court of the extension and that what documents you may or may not have in your possession is irrelevant and you require inspection of the documents on which their client intends to rely.

Standard MC response when they don't have a clue on what documentation may or may not be available.

nem

Comment

I have written to the court to inform them that the claimant's solicitors have agreed to the 28 day extension and have written to the claimant's solicitors as per the message above. However, I am concerned that the deadline is going to pass soon, without my defence being filed with the court. The issue date of the claim was 2nd June.

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for your help so far. Apart from the above letter from the claimant's solicitors, I have heard nothing else. I have not witnessed any documents at all from Cabot or from their solicitors Mortimer Clarke. I have to submit my defence to the court by tomorrow. Any advice as to what I should say?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for your help so far. Apart from the above letter from the claimant's solicitors, I have heard nothing else. I have not witnessed any documents at all from Cabot or from their solicitors Mortimer Clarke. I have to submit my defence to the court by tomorrow. Any advice as to what I should say?

I have written to the court to inform them that the claimant's solicitors have agreed to the 28 day extension and have written to the claimant's solicitors as per the message above. However, I am concerned that the deadline is going to pass soon, without my defence being filed with the court. The issue date of the claim was 2nd June.
                  If you have agreed a 28 day extension and informed the court in writing, you do not need to submit your defence by tomorrow. Your time will have been extended by a further 28 days.

Comment

It might be wise to ring the court (telephone number on the court claim form) to confirm the current status of the claim.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You won't hear anything from them, I should rephrase that. You will get their standard letters that they dish out to everyone.
                      Stick to court timeline and you won't go wrong.

Comment

Thanks. I've contacted the court and the defence is due tomorrow 5th July. Any advice on what I need to say on the defence

Comment

There is an example here - Defence Example - to get you started, if you want to have a draft and post it up we can check it over xxx You will need to add in about the claim being Statute barred by virtue of s5 Limitation Act 1980.

You do appear to have agreed an extension with the Claimant. It's okay if you are worried about them filing for a default judgment to put your defence in now, and tbh it's unlikely they will come up with documents in the interveening period, but you are protected by having that agreement to extend and having informed the court of such. It isn't a court 'thing' it's an agreement between the parties, the court admin staff can only go on the dates that pop up on their screen.
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks a lot. Please see my defence letter below. Just let me know if any amendments need to be made.

I received theclaim Cxxxxxxx from the County Court Business Centre, Northampton issuedon 2nd June 2016.

This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement regulatedunder the Consumer Credit Act 1974. However, I feel that the Claim is Statutebarred by virtue of s5 Limitation Act 1980.
                            The Claimantsstatement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properlyassess my position with regards the claim.

On the 10th June I sent a request for inspection of documentsmentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14to Mortimer Clarke Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide copiesof the Agreement. Mortimer Clarke has not sent any of thesedocuments to me.

On the
                            10th June I sent a formal request for a copy of theoriginal agreement to Cabot Financial UK pursuant to section 77 to 79
                            of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

The Claimant has failed to comply with
                            s77 to s79 Consumer Credit Act1974 and by virtue of s77 to s79
                            Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce theagreement.

I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentationin order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out,

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....

Comment

I received the claim Cxxxxxxx from the County Court Business Centre, Northampton issued on 2nd June 2016.

This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I contend that the Claim is Statute barred by virtue of s5 Limitation Act 1980 and I put the Claimant to strict proof otherwise.

The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to further assess my position with regards the claim.

On the 10th June I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14t o Mortimer Clarke Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide a copy of the Agreement.

Mortimer Clarke
                              has not sent this, or any other document to me.

On the
                              10th June I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Cabot Financial UK pursuant to section 78
                              of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

The Claimant has failed to comply with
                              s78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s78(6) of the
                              Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out,

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

made a couple little amendments for you xx
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X