• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is this statute-barred?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this statute-barred?

I have an old issue with Cabot for a Vanquis credit card debt.

I originally received a court claim back in August 2014, which I acknowledged with 'defend in full, don't know anything about it' and then sent the CCA/CPR requests.

In October 2014 I received a photocopy of an agreement, about which I did nothing (and certainly didn't respond to anyone), since which the whole thing seemed to have gone dead.

Today I received a letter from Mortimer Clarke, wanting to pursue the issue. It included the statement '... agreement was terminated on 31/05/2010.'

The only outbound contact from me since 31/5/2010 is responding to the claim with a defence and sending the CCA/CPR requests - neither of which to me are 'acknowledgement of the debt'.

My perhaps-misinformed view is that as it's more 6 years since 'my last payment or acknowledgement of the debt' it's now statute-barred.

From memory, there was a record of the debt in my credit report, which I think was May 2010, and it's now no longer there (presumably because such things are removed after 6 years)

Rarely responsive at the best of times, in the absence of anything which suggests I should act differently, I'll likely just ignore this and wait to see if I receive anything from the court - whereupon I'll notify 'debt is statue barred'.

Advice appreciated - please and thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Is this statute-barred?

Hi Heyes

Perhaps it would be wise to check your historic bank statements for evidence of payments.

If you no longer have them on file, banks can normally send them to you for a small fee.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi Heyes

Perhaps it would be wise to check your historic bank statements for evidence of payments.

If you no longer have them on file, banks can normally send them to you for a small fee.

Thanks.
      There wouldn't have been any payments after that date.
      Besides, the onus of proof is with the claimant to prove the debt, not the defendant to disprove it. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Heyes View Post
        Thanks.
        There wouldn't have been any payments after that date.
        Besides, the onus of proof is with the claimant to prove the debt, not the defendant to disprove it. ;-)
        Absolutely right.

However, as with most cases there is always an element of 'reverse burden'.

Imho it's always better to rely on positive proof than to wait & see what the other party can provide.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Absolutely right.

However, as with most cases there is always an element of 'reverse burden'.

Imho it's always better to rely on positive proof than to wait & see what the other party can provide.
          I appreciate your advice, and we'll have to differ on this.

In such circumstances it's almost to prove 'you didn't do something'.

My relevant question here is whether a claim which began before the end of 6 years can still proceed after such a period. I guess I may eventually find out if I hear more from the court.

Further research suggests it isn't statute-barred, because they began action prior to the end of the 6-year period. I just don't know if this is affected by the 18-month delay since previous action from the claimant.
          Last edited by Heyes; 10th June 2016, 06:17:AM.

Comment

As far as I know, the 6 year period starts from the date on which the cause of action accrued.

This is a somewhat moveable feast, depending on whether the BMW v Hart version, or some other precedent version, is accepted.

The limitation period is 'frozen' from the date which the court action commences, until the culmination of that action.

I may be wrong, however.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

As far as I know, the 6 year period starts from the date on which the cause of action accrued.

The limitation period is 'frozen' from the date which the court action commences, until the culmination of that action.

I may be wrong, however.
              I think you're right.
              Oh well, with hopes of an easy-out dashed I'll see what happens.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X