• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

FCA Rules - Translation needed please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCA Rules - Translation needed please.

canvassing off trade premises

(a) an activity by an individual ("the canvasser") of soliciting the entry of another individual ("B") into an agreement by making oral representations to B during a visit by the canvasser to any place (other than a place in (b)) where B is, being a visit made by the canvasser for the purpose of making such oral representations.
    (b) a place where a business is carried on (whether on a permanent or temporary basis) by:
    (i) the lender or owner ; or
    (ii) a supplier ; or
    (iii) the canvasser ; or
    (iv) a person who employs the canvasser or has appointed the canvasser as an agent ; or
    (v) B;
    is excluded from (a).
    If the 'off trade premises' is at 'B's home, by invitation, is that 'canvassing off trade premises' ?

'B' doesn't carry on a business.

Once I've sussed that I need to know if a broker ( like the guy that comes to sell you windows and signs you up to finance) is a ancilliary credit business ?
    And is the agreement a debtor creditor agreement for purposes of s.49 CCA - or is it a debtor creditor supplier agreement ?

The 'broker'/'intermediary' has 'No right to canvass off trade premises'

(I'll ask the next question after I know the answer to those )
    Last edited by Amethyst; 7th June 2016, 18:24:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: FCA Rules - Translation needed please.

I think, if reading the first part of your question, the answer is yes.

The answer to ancillary credit business would probably be a yes also as the person is a broker and will usually fall within the definition of ancillary credit business under the CCA.

Debtor - creditor (being the broker) - supplier (the business of selling windows)

The creditor in the above would be someone who has a connection to the supplier and is offering finance to the debtor

That's how I interpret it anyway
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Sooooo, if a window salesman from company A came to my home and got me to sign a credit agreement with company C (to finance the windows) - he'd be acting as a broker?

If his CCL was 'no-right to canvas off trade premises' would he be in breach ? ( particularly if I only invited him around to talk windows not loans )
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

If the 'off trade premises' is at 'B's home, by invitation, is that 'canvassing off trade premises' ?
        It's not very clear is it? It's not clear who has to make the 'request' (seller or buyer) but I don't think that someone's home can be considered as a temporary place of business on the basis that that's where the business takes place as that would apply to anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Sooooo, if a window salesman from company A came to my home and got me to sign a credit agreement with company C (to finance the windows) - he'd be acting as a broker?

If his CCL was 'no-right to canvas off trade premises' would he be in breach ? ( particularly if I only invited him around to talk windows not loans )

Well, if you were talking windows only, possibly not as there was no canvassing in entering into a credit/finance agreement. If the windows discussion then went into further discussions of credit/finance then yes that would more likely be a breach.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
            It's not very clear is it? It's not clear who has to make the 'request' (seller or buyer) but I don't think that someone's home can be considered as a temporary place of business on the basis that that's where the business takes place as that would apply to anywhere.
            I think the buyer has to make the request. And no I don't believe the consumers home can be classed as a place of business.

I did read somewhere, that I can't bloody find now, that they can get around the 'off trade premises' bit if you request, in writing and sign/date it, for them to come for a second meeting for the sole purpose of them selling you credit.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

The words " XXXX Acts as an " introducer only in reference to credit facilities offered by xxxxxx ". Sold windows and advertising space prior to uni so may this has changed but I have seen it on broker agreements.

nem

Comment

It's not clear so it fits how it suits, simples, as has always been the way with the useless authorities.

Comment

On the loan agreement it states 'Credit Intermediary' and gives the name and address of the company 'that sells the windows'.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Rambling Sparkies says
                    Section 49 subsections (1) ( 2) (2a) & 2(b) of the CCA 1974 tells you a little bit more I think..........But then this might have been amended Haven't checked that out ...'cos I'm a bit busy

Sparkie

Comment

On the loan agreement it states 'Credit Intermediary' and gives the name and address of the company 'that sells the windows'.
                      This any use Amethyst?
                      http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/..._report_en.pdf

Sparkie

Comment

Thanks Sparks xx

Another common form of detriment (across several credit products) arises from
                        misleading advertising by credit intermediarie
                        s. Typically such misleading advertising
                        exploits the borrowers’ limited knowledge of the general market conditions and the role
                        credit intermediaries play in the market. From the evidence gathered, typical examples of
                        misleading advertising would be where intermediaries attract consumers by offering
                        unrealistic offers on credit (for example,
                        credit at a zero interest rate by POS
                        intermediaries) or induce borrowers to believe that the intermediaries concerned are
                        entitled to authorise credit provision even though, in fact, only the lender can make this
                        decision.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just looking at s.48 / s.49 again and came across this

There is no equivalent ban on canvassing agreements linked to the purchase of goods or services (debtor-creditor-supplier agreements) or consumer hire agreements
                          No right to Canvass Off Trade Premises

does it apply to debtor-creditor-supplier agreements - in this case a seller of a home learning course visits twice and on second visit gets you to sign an agreement with a third party lender ( so acts as a broker but no broker fee) - Ancilliary credit would be s 153 ?

153 Definition of canvassing off trade premises (agreements for ancillary credit services).
                          F1

(1)An individual (the “canvasser ”) canvasses off trade premises the services of a person carrying on an ancillary credit business if he solicits the entry of another individual (the “consumer ”) into an agreement for the provision to the consumer of those services by making oral representations to the consumer, or any other individual, during a visit by the canvasser to any place (not excluded by subsection (2)) where the consumer, or that other individual as the case may be, is, being a visit—

(a)carried out for the purpose of making such oral representations to individuals who are at that place, but

(b)not carried out in response to a request made on a previous occasion.

(2)A place is excluded from subsection (1) if it is a place where (whether on a permanent or temporary basis)—

(a)the ancillary credit business is carried on, or

(b)any business is carried on by the canvasser or the person whose employee or agent the canvasser is, or by the consumer.
                          So if they do do that and we can get through the second visit stuff, can we say agreement entered into with unauthorised broker and thus unenforceable ?
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X