• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problems with Van

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Van

Hi Everyone

This is what a vehicle runs like after paying £2000 with Ferris Garage and so much stress and taking it back 5 times, its an absolute disgrace and they were only chosen because they were a trading standards approved garage and signed upto Motorcode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn7zydfbej...02546.3gp?dl=0

What should I do next

Someone has advised me that I should go after the garage that sold it to me a month prior to sending it to Ferris garage to get it fixed as under some act I am entitled to a full refund
    Tags: None

Re: Problems with Van

Hey that's a nice ot of blue smoke you're blowing!

Write (signed for) to the garage from whom you purchased the vehicle, telling them that you are rejecting it as it is not fit for purpose.
    They have had an opportunity to repair the faults but have failed and therefore you require a full refund of your purchase price (and any expenses you have had because of it)
    as per your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
    Tell them where the vehicle is for collection at their cost as it s (or sounds!) undriveable!

Comment

Thanks Des

Also after the 5th time of returning it this happens

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eckxt2cmwx...23962.mp4?dl=0

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hey that's a nice ot of blue smoke you're blowing!

Write (signed for) to the garage from whom you purchased the vehicle, telling them that you are rejecting it as it is not fit for purpose.
      They have had an opportunity to repair the faults but have failed and therefore you require a full refund of your purchase price (and any expenses you have had because of it)
      as per your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
      Tell them where the vehicle is for collection at their cost as it s (or sounds!) undriveable!
      Last edited by whodareswins; 7th June 2016, 13:52:PM.

Comment

After driving home................ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s71bp2z1p...14677.mp4?dl=0

Comment

Des apologies I didnt make myself clear, I brought the van from another Garage but took it a month later to another garage called Ferris Garage and thats the garage repsonsible for me taking it back to 5 times etc

I contacted motorcode yesterday and someone is due to call me

I would appreciate any guidance on a letter to resolve this issue

Thanks

Comment

To get this clear:

You purchased van on dd/month/2016
            Why did you take it to Ferris?
            Was there a problem with the vehicle which manifested itself within one month?
            If so did you cause that problem, or was it self generating (ie it developed or showed itself due to a fault within the engine)
            You took the vehicle to FERRIS Garage a total of 5 times and paid £2000 and they have failed to rectify the fault &/or have made it worse?

Comment

The van was purchased on 5th March 2016 from Autotech ( I have just seen a bad review) and has been starting and driving fine with no problems

After doing around 1000 miles in the van (over a months period) The van developed a slight rattle so I took it to a trading standards approved garage called Ferris Garage and was quoted £900 for timing chain repair (the timing chain is the cambelt and this is what drives the engine in time)

On picking up the van i was very disappointed to find out the true bill was £1132.21 which was £943.50+VAT, Anyway I had no choice and had to pay this but then I went to the garage where the van was left and it would not start, eventually after 10 mins i thought maybe it will clear itself and drove it home.

On trying to start the van the next day it would not start at all which was very unusual as it used to start every day so I called the garage and they told me to bring it back, I eventually got it tow started after having to call a friend that lives 20 miles away and then proceeded to drive it to the garage 17 miles away thinking they would put it right for free because obviously it started when I initially took it to them.

I lhad to leave the van with them which they had for 2 weeks then had a phone call from the garage telling me its going to be £400 to put it right, obviously I was very reluctant to pay this but I need the van as being disabled its the most comfortable form of transport for me and I felt like I had no where else to turn to but to pay up.

I paid the £400 quoted which was actually £653.92 and the van starts but is making a horrendous squealing noise and I didnt want to take it back as im nearly £2000 debt to a friend and I dont believe they actually are competent in carrying out the work.

Well i proved that right as when i went to pick it up they advised me there was still a glow plug that has welded itself into the engine and gave me the spare part as outlined in this video please see from 24 secs <span style="font-family:arial;">https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s71bp2z1p...14677.mp4?dl=0

I then called the company and this was what the mechanic said
              <span style="font-family:arial;">https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w821m0n9l...erris.3gp?dl=0

So I took it back there and again drove the van home but it is still running very bad indeed, its not driveable
              Last edited by whodareswins; 8th June 2016, 09:33:AM.

Comment

I haven't been able to access the "mechanic's" comments, but on a practical note the "weld" is probably actually just a carbon build up which glues the steel glow plug to the aluminium head.
                The problem is that in trying to remove it the glow plug may sheer off.
                Depending on where the plugs are, it might then mean removing the head.

Pity you didn't take the vehicle back to the original seller, as you could then have rejected it.
                As it is you would, IMO anyway, now have difficulty proving the problems were not caused by FERRIS.

This leaves you with the protection given by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, chapter 4 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...pter/4/enacted)
                Basically the act requires any contract for servie to be performed with reasonable care and skill.
                Ferris appear on the brief details you have given to have failed on this.
                You gave them an opportunity to repeat the service so as to fulfill the original contract.
                This should have been done at their cost (inclding parts!) but they have repeatedly failed.

Your remedies now are damages and recovery of monies paid. (I am assuming you don't trust FERRIS at all, and would not want them to touch your vehicle again!)
                Damages will include all your extra costs (including hire of vehicle if the van is undrivable or payment of an amount to compensate for loss of use of the van)

You will need to write (signed for) to FERRIS setting out BRIEFLY the problem (ie their repeated failures to perform the contract you had with them) and setting out what remedy you want.
                Refer to the CRA 2015 and warn them that if you do not receive a response you deem satisfactory within 14 days you will initiate court action.

Comment

That sound like timing is not right - difficult starting and smoke.

Comment

Will this suffice

Dear Mr Ferris

I am thoroughly dissatisfied with you and your joke of a garage after you have spent considerable time messing with my vehicle and now carrying out work which was not needed, I also very angry that you have taken up my valuable considerable time of that and my friend by repeatedly having to drive the van to and from your workshop to correct your errors which even then you have failed to put right. this totals just under 200 miles and a combined 20+hours between me and my friend.

You are completely incompetent in carrying out any repairs and you have destroyed my confidence in using a garage that happens to be Trading Standards Approved and subscribes to Motorcode.

I have spent £2000 pounds with you and you leave the van running likethis

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn7zydfbejiktlq/VID_20160512_102546.3gp?dl=0

Lets start from the beginning:

The van developed a slight rattle so I took it to a trading standards approved garage called Ferris Garage and you quoted me £900 for a timing chain repair.

On picking up the van i was very disappointed to find out the true bill was £1132.21 which was £943.50+VAT, Anyway I had no choice and had to pay this but the van would not start, eventually after 10 mins i thought maybe it will clear itself and drove it home.

On trying to start the van the next day it would not start at all which was very unusual as it used to start every day so I called the garage and they told me to bring it back, I eventually got it tow started after having to call a friend that lives 20 miles away and then proceeded to drive it to your garage 17 miles away thinking you would put it right for free because obviously it started when I initially took it to you..

You then had my van for 2 weeks then had a phone call from your garage telling me its going to be £400 to put it right, obviously I was very reluctant to pay this but I need the van as being disabled its the most comfortable form of transport for me and I felt like I had no where else to turn to but to pay up.

I turned up to collect the van and found out the £400 quoted was actually £653.92 and you told me the reason for the increase in cost was because there had been a fire in the fusebox because the glow plug had arced to the engine head which you did not state originally, therefore this must be down to you because it wasn't an issue previously and then the problem starts all over again and the van was making a horrendous squealing noise, again i attempted to drive the van home thinking it will clear itself , me being the trusting caring individual that I am but then found the van was still running like a clapped out banger.

The very next day I called you and you had advised me again to bring the van back of which you then had my van for another 7 days before you got your mechanic to call me asking for £54 for gaskets, I told your mechanic that I am not paying out any more money on that van because its rework and its your mistake. He then huffed and puffed a little and said Ok i will just use silicone and leave it on the forecourt for me to collect.

I then picked the van up and met with your mechanic Toby who said that you (Tim) had agreed to provide the gasket free of charge, we both know that the gasket cost you £8 and the oil seal £1 so its clear and again evidenced that you tried to make a further profit of £43 this is evidenced.

Anyway Tim after speaking to Toby I attempted to start the van but it would not start, after a few minutes Toby came over and tried to assist , the van was still making an horrendous noise, then cleared itself and then 3 miles down the road this happened

https://www.dropbox.com/s/88g3t8pbhehitio/Ferris%203%20miles%20down%20the%20road.mp4?dl=0

I continued home again as it continued to clear and called you when I got home..

Here is the video of me arriving home

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s71bp2z1pktwd6/VID_20160601_163914677.mp4?dl=0

I then called Ferris Garage and spoke to Toby and I have a recording of that conversation whereby he states bring the vehicle back as he didn't put the cover on properly.

(This evidence is available on request)

The van will no longer start hot or cold

This work hasn't been completed to my satisfaction and due to your repeated failures I exercise my right under The Consumer Rights Act 2015 Chapter 4 for a full refund including costs

Ferris Garage Labour charges £72 per hour x 20 = £1440 I will therefore charge you £72 per hour x 20 = £1,440 + total invoice charges of £1,786.13 + £50 petrol expenses totals £3276.13.

If I do not receive the said sum within 14 days I will initiate court action against you.

Kevin Nesbitt

Comment

You have explained your frustration and anger admirably, but I would not send that letter as "a letter before claim".
                      This may well be seen by a judge if it goes to court and you need to keep it factual and not express opinions!!

I would suggest something a little more restrained:

Dear Mr Ferris,

On dd/mm/2016 I left my vehicle make model reg no with you as it had developed a rattle.
                      You diagnosed a timing chain repair was required at a quoted cost of £900.00.
                      I collected the vehicle on dd/mm/2016 and was charged £943.00+vat (total £1132.21)
                      The vehicle proved difficult to start, but I drove it away.
                      The following day it was not possible to start the vehicle without a tow assistance, so it was returned to you to correct the fault.
                      After retaining the vehicle for two weeks you advised by phone on dd/mm/2016 that it would cost £400.00 to repair
                      I collected the vehicle on dd/mm/2016 and was charged £xxxx + vat (total £653.92)
                      The vehicle was still not running satisfactorily and was returned to you the next day.
                      After retaining the vehicle for 7 days you advised by phone that you required £54.00 for new gaskets.
                      Actual cost of the gaskets is I understand £8.00, and I refused to pay for these.
                      I collected the vehicle from your premises on dd/mm/2016.
                      The vehicle was difficult to start, and ran poorly.
                      It now will not start.

As you have not performed the contracted service with reasonable skill and care, nor within a reasonable time frame, and have failed to correct your substandard work I now require that you refund me the total paid to you being £xxxxxxx
                      You have had the opportunity to correct your work.
                      I also require payment of £XX being the amount for loss of use of my vehicle due to your failures.(This is calculated at £10 per diem whilst vehicle not in use)and also fuel costs of £50.00 nominal in returning the vehicle to your premisesThis is in accordance with my rights under Consumer Rights Act 2015 chap 4

If you fail to respond in a satisfactory manner within 14 days I shall initiate court proceedings

Yours etc etc 0

A claim for your time will be unlikely to succeed , especially at garage rates, but good try!

Comment

Thanks so much for your help, I will update this
                        Last edited by whodareswins; 10th June 2016, 21:26:PM.

Comment

Hi Des, A massive massive thank you for all your help, On Friday morning Ferris Garage sent a cheque for the full amount.

Thanks so much its a huge relief, The demonic van has developed a fuel leak today so i am thinking of going after Autotec in Redruth and persuing them for the price they sold it for...

https://www.facebook.com/autotech.in.redruth/

https://companycheck.co.uk/search?te...cation=redruth

Cheers
                          Last edited by whodareswins; 25th June 2016, 14:59:PM.

Comment

Well done.
                            Now write toAutotech rejecting the vehicle and requesting a refund.
                            As you have had the vehicle in excess of 30 days you can either request a repair, or a refund.
                            If you opt fo a refund the dealer can make a deduction for the use you have had of the van.

The fact you have had other mechanics working on the vehicle MAY cause difficulties.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X