• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tampering with emails or other explanation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tampering with emails or other explanation

I hope someone can throw some light on a mystery surrounding an email "read receipt" (Outlook Express) apparently received from a Councillor.

I sent an email to a Councillor, in respect of which a "read receipt" was requested. I initially thought the correspondence reached the Councillor as an email was returned indicating the email was opened. However, on inspecting more closely a different email address to the one it was sent is revealed.

The document below contains the redacted print outs of the emails:

"Email/read receipt"

Essentially the addresses sent to and returned from are as follows:
    christina.mcgilligan-fell@nelincs.gov.uk

christina.mcgilliganfell@nelincs.gov.uk

Is it likely the council has intercepted the email and then tampered with it, or, something more innocent?
    Tags: None

Re: Council tampering with emails or other explanation

Innocent.

The emails to councilors do go direct to them, but they pass through a few email exchanges on there servers, these account for email address changes and slight mistakes to make sure the emails go through the read receipt is probably genuine.

Emails to the leaders and the mayor will go to there PAs
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyside
      If you use your own domain or a paid email service, you can set up email redirection from that email address to any other email address, even more than one. You can set up redirection to your work email.

Here you sent an email to christina.mcgilligan-fell@nelincs.gov.uk and got a receipt from Christina.McGilliganFell@nelincs.gov.uk. Sounds like the email address has just been reformatted, or am I missing something else?
      Thanks. I thought possibly there were two addresses (with and without hyphen) and that would explain it. Enquiries have been made about this but the council won't answer, however, it has been confirmed that the official address is with the hyphen.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
        Innocent.

The emails to councilors do go direct to them, but they pass through a few email exchanges on there servers, these account for email address changes and slight mistakes to make sure the emails go through the read receipt is probably genuine.

Emails to the leaders and the mayor will go to there PAs
        Thanks. The "read receipt" (sent by council) is not the official address as confirmed by the council. However, It was sent to the official address.

Comment

Another acknowledgement of opened mail last night.

An email was sent 13 May with the Councillor copied in (both addresses were used belt & braces). Did same on 22 and 31 May.

Additionally, I used the facility offered by MySociety Ltd's "WriteToThem" on 26 May (unknown address).

On 3 June received "read receipt" recorded as opened at 11:33 pm from unofficial address.

From the further 4 times my Councillor was emailed/copied in, I've only one further acknowledgement that the message was opened (to 31 May email).

Comment

I work in IT, this is very common for people with longer or double barrelled names.
            We'll enter both emails, with the hypen and without the hypen, into their email account so emails to either will reach the recipient. One of the addresses will be set as the 'primary' address - that is the one that is used if emails are sent from that account.

By the looks of it, while they are saying the official email is with the hyphen, the primary address set on the server is without.

Also worth noting that the option exists to ask the recipient whether they want to send a read receipt after opening an email, perhaps they have chosen not to send one for some of your emails?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X