• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim against a company registered in Belfast...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim against a company registered in Belfast...

Can anyone tell me - if I as a litigant in person am living in London, and taking action against a company registered with their business address in Belfast, where would the case be heard/transferred to? London, or Belfast?
    Tags: None

Re: Claim against a company registered in Belfast...

Anyone?

Comment

Hi andrew2332

Is this a contractual matter?

If so, does the contract state which law/legal system governs it?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I believe it should be London.
        use form N510 (www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/PDFForms/N510.pdf)

Comment

31.3. All other disputes not covered by Clause 31.1 or Clause 31.2 and subject to Clause 31.4, or any other claims or proceedings arising out of or in any way relating to the Services or these Terms of Use shall be governed by the laws of Ireland and the Irish Courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction for the purpose of any such proceedings arising out of or in any way relating to the Services or these Terms of Use.

Comment

Perhaps you could tell us what your dispute is

Comment

It's against Paddy Power - they didn't honour my bet.

Comment

Clause 31.3 purports to restrict the right of the consumer to taking action only in N. Ireland, and reserves jurisdiction to Irish courts.
                Clause 31.4 states the company has the right when initiating action to nominate the country in which to take action and choose the jurisdiction.

IMO that is an imbalance, and not permitted by UK law, and also think somewhere there is a EU directive which harmonises this approach
                Hopefully others are more knowledgeable and can point in the right direction

Comment

So a hearing, started in the UK Small Claims Court, via Money Claim online, would be transferred to London, as it is my home Court and I am litigant in person v a company?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew2332 View Post
                    It's against Paddy Power - they didn't honour my bet.
                    Why did they not honour the bet they must have given reasons and did they refund the stake?

Comment

So a hearing, started in the UK Small Claims Court, via Money Claim online, would be transferred to London, as it is my home Court and I am litigant in person v a company?
                      Yes, but would anticipate PP would claim the uk courts do not have jurisdiction, because of clause 31.3.

Comment

When I put their Belfast address into MCOL it tells me I can only start a claim against an address in wales or England? hmmh...

Comment

Dead claim then? Now we know why these companies are not registered here

Comment

When I put their Belfast address into MCOL it tells me I can only start a claim against an address in wales or England? hmmh...
                            Well in that case use their UK address!

Or as you are filing a claim against a N.I. address it is "out of jurisdiction" and the process is slightly different!
                            You send your claim form (together with form N510)to

County Court Money Claims Centre
                            PO Box 527
                            Salford
                            M5 0BY

Comment

This betting company has 31 shops in the UK - can I serve one of these?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X