• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My brother's boat has just been sold on eBay without his permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother's boat has just been sold on eBay without his permission

Please can someone give me some help?
    i rented some land & stables & was told to leave within a month although I have a contract which states I should have 3 months notice. I moved as much of my stuff & all my animals, but didn't manage to move it all. I informed the owner that my brothers boat would be picked up 3 days later. The landlord changed the locks, put chains on the gates to deny me access.
    I wrote 4 times to give days & times that the boat could be moved & she then came up with a bill for removal of rubbish. I was told that unless I paid her some money, she would not let me pick up the boat. Then she charged me rent for the boat being on her land. She has now given me a ridiculous bill for £5,000 for 3 years of storage of the boat. I owe her no money for rent or electricity & I can't get the boat because she won't let me.
    The boat has just been sold on eBay by her & the Police say they will do nothing because it's a civil matter. I have an appointment booked to see a solicitor, but couldn't see anyone until next Tuesday, by which time, someone will have taken it away.
    What can I do? Please someone help me.
    Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: My brother's boat has just been sold on eBay without his permission

Hi and welcome
    When do you anticipate the purchaser will attempt to collect the boat.

Steps you can take:
    1) try and contact the purchaser via eBay warning them that the seller does not own the boat
    2) apply to the courts for an interim order preventing disposal of the boat by the landlord.
    3) you can file & serve the papers on Tuesday for the order to be issued on Friday ( https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...t25/pd_part25a)
    4) warn the landlord that he is in breach of Torts (interference of Goods) act 1977 and that civil action will be taken to recover the boat if he proceeds with the sale

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice. I have emailed the landlord to warn her of torts & I will speak with my solicitor about filing the papers you suggested.
      I am feeling a little more calm, having read your response, so I would like to thank you again.
      xXx

Comment

Others might come with further suggestions, but as it is bank holiday............
        Nevertheless could you please keep us informed as the situation develops as it might help others in a similar situation/

Comment

Of course I will. If I can help support anyone in any way I can, then I am more than happy to share anything I can. Thank you again. x

Comment

I would stress the importance of notifying the ebay buyer as soon as possible. The ebay buyer will have full ownership and title to the goods if they were not aware that the boat was owned by someone else. If they are put on notice that the landlord did not have permission to sell the boat then they would have no right to own the it and you could recover the boat from the buyer and join as part of the claim for damages.

In the meantime I am sure your solicitor will do the rest.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X