• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

does et judge need full minutes of disciplinary hearing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: does et judge need full minutes of disciplinary hearing?

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
    Did you friend apply to the ET arguing the fresh evidence as admissible? I assume the person did. However, 'due diligence' is key for Ladd (1954) and based on Ladd, the ET, or EAT, it's lazy I suppose to rely on a solicitor acting for the employer. The solicitor is clearly doing this tactically owing to the 'can't be arsed' attitude by the claimant. It does make sense now having considered this angle. It's a very strict approach but it's reasonable in the court's/ tribunal/s eyes.
    Hi. in my case it wasn't a 'cant be arsed' attitude, it was a 'they are legal professionals so must be telling the truth' attitude. most people in my position have never gone through this before so have to assume that what I am told by a solicitor even it if is from the other side must be true. they took advantage of this which now puts the profession in a bad light.

charitynjw no apologies required its been a very interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyside
      That is the crux of the whole thing. The majority of ET claimants are not legally represented because they can't afford the cost of legal representation and, even if they win, they won't get costs awarded in their favour. Furthermore, the average ET award is just £5k so there would hardly be anything left after paying your own legal costs. Respondents, on the other hand, are usually represented, making it a very uneven playing field.

The situations described above wouldn't make it past an employment lawyer, they would ask the other side for full disclosure before the hearing and wouldn't accept promises of providing the evidence at the hearing. I recently won an ET case (as a claimant) but had the luxury of pro-bono legal representation throughout the process. As a LIP, it would have been extremely difficult to win.

There is also more than just "winning", there's also the matter of how much compensation you get if you win, and this issue alone can be the subject of a whole volume. Going through the motions of making a good case for themselves is something most ET claimants just couldn't manage as LIPs, yet they hardly have a choice.
      Sunny, why do you think the ET employee/ claimants 'just can't manage as LIPs'? The idea behind ET is that the UK's Constitution permits informal rules other than the strict court rules/ procedure in the normal civil courts, as is the case with local County Courts.

Comment

Originally posted by Yolanda View Post
        Hi. in my case it wasn't a 'cant be arsed' attitude, it was a 'they are legal professionals so must be telling the truth' attitude. most people in my position have never gone through this before so have to assume that what I am told by a solicitor even it if is from the other side must be true. they took advantage of this which now puts the profession in a bad light.

charitynjw no apologies required its been a very interesting read.
        But why would you think the employer's solicitor is going to do you any favours? You're essentially dragging his client over hot coals for you to win. Ok, why didn't you do it yourself, why were your bundles in with theirs? I just don't understand, it's like the prosecution filing the bundles for the defence and trusting that the prosecution won't omit important source documents. A lesson learnt I think .

Comment

I didn't expect my employers solicitor to do me any favours but what I did expect is for a legal professional to tell the truth to all people under all circumstances. If they were not going to supply the minutes then they should have said and I would have asked the tribunal to request them. The court gave instructions for the bundle to be prepared by the employer. I gave them my documents and made a disclosure request for other documents such as the full minutes. yes it is a lesson learnt; that lesson is even solicitors lie and are not to be trusted.

Comment

Strict rules are not the issue, it's the lack of knowledge about employment law in general. Procedure is quite easy to learn as you can see on the court threads here, civil litigation is straightforward. You have x amount of time to do something and you need to fill in a certain form to do something else. That's the easy part. Understanding the substantive issues is the tricky bit. Employers are allowed to do a lot of things that many of us may think they shouldn't be allowed to do. They can also be caught out but you need to know how and when.

The ACAS code says a certain procedure must be followed, yet it is possible to dismiss someone without following any procedure whatsoever and still argue that, had the proper procedure been followed, the employee would still have been dismissed. If you think this only applies to cases where the employee commits a serious offence such as stealing or drugs, that's not the case.

How many employees out there know about Polkey and contribution? How many understand the ins and outs of TUPE? I would have had to understand all this and more, inside out, to win my case, only I didn't have to because I had legal representation. Without it, I wouldn't have had a hope in hell. The respondent was a small outfit run by a clueless, arrogant moron, but he had legal representation, albeit not very good one. My legal rep was far superior and that's how I won, had I been a LIP I'd have been beaten at the preliminary hearing. If you work for a large corporation, the respondent can hire a magic circle law firm to represent them. As a LIP, what would be your chances against them? Worse than those of a five year old playing against a 16 year old, I should think.
            1 in 4 ETs are said to favour the employee, and am sure not all of these have lawyers representing them

Comment

Indeed, solicitors have a duty of care to their clients but they also have a duty to be honest in their dealings. Although this wouldn't help your case as such, if you think a solicitor or firm has acted dishonestly, you could consider reporting them to the SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority). All solicitors and law firms are regulated by them and the authority can take action against those who do not comply with their code of conduct.

I would have requested the full minutes right after the disciplinary, before submitting the claim. Did you not appeal the decision to dismiss you after the disciplinary? I'd have thought this would have been part of the process and you would have requested the full minutes for that purpose. You could also have sent a SAR to your ex-employers, all this prior to issuing a claim. Having the benefit of proper advice from the start can make a big difference.
              Hi. I requested the minutes after the meeting and was supplied incomplete minutes. I asked for complete minutes but they did not supply them. I went to appeal and they used the incomplete minutes to justify the dismissal. I asked for appeal minutes and was only supplied incomplete appeal minutes. I asked for complete minutes but they did not supply them. I did a access request and they did not include the minutes in the documents they sent me. they did not include the complete minutes in the bundle. then they said the complete minutes would be at tribunal and I took them at their word. if the employer had told me that then I would not have taken them at their word but it was their solicitor who told me that.

Comment

Hello. I am new here. I took my employer to et but they did not put the full minutes of the disciplinary and appeal in the bundle. Almost everything I said was cut out apart from a few short questions and answers. I queried it with them and they said the full minutes would be at the et. Stupid me believed them then at et they did not supply the full minutes. I lost my case because the judge based his decision on the minutes he had, not the full minutes. The reason this bothers me is because when the et judge gave his reasons as to why I lost, he made reference to several things that swayed his decision that I had not responded to in the minutes, he took inference from my lack of response. But I had responded to them at length but the employer had not included my responses. The et judge knew the minutes were not full as I wrote it in my et1 form and I stated it athe tribunal. Was it fair for the et judge to make a judgement without being given the full minutes of the disciplinary and appeal meetings? Thank you.
                You have been discussing procedural issues relating to ET in this thread but not the actual facts, ie merits of your case. What were the facts? Are you going to attempt to appeal the ET's decision to an EAT based on a point of law?

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                  You have been discussing procedural issues relating to ET in this thread but not the actual facts, ie merits of your case.
                  Hi. the facts of my case do not change the fact the judge relied on incomplete minutes. i only wanted to know about this issue in case it made a difference to the decision being fair. i'm still not sure but at least I have some information to take to a solicitor to see if I can go to appeal.

Comment

I didn't expect my employers solicitor to do me any favours but what I did expect is for a legal professional to tell the truth to all people under all circumstances. If they were not going to supply the minutes then they should have said and I would have asked the tribunal to request them. The court gave instructions for the bundle to be prepared by the employer. I gave them my documents and made a disclosure request for other documents such as the full minutes. yes it is a lesson learnt; that lesson is even solicitors lie and are not to be trusted.
                    This is rather different to lack of due diligence on your behalf. Have you asked for a reconsideration by the EAT on a point of fact, ie it was the court's fault and not yours?

Comment

Hi. i have missed the window to ask for a review. i don't think the case would get to appeal. I would like to correct a point i made earlier, i said the lesson i learned was that solicitors lie and are not to be trusted. i now know my employer did not use a solicitor, they used an employer consultancy. I just took it as they were a solicitor because they said they were the employers legal representation. i apologise for the mistake.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X