• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Divorce costs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce costs.

Hi there,

I have been presented with a letter from the other parties solicitors, asking to pay half of her fees. I believed I had agreed to pay half the court costs only and not her solicitors bill. I did not instruct her solicitors at any time on my behalf and made that quite clear to both the solicitors and in the petition to the courts. Upon making of the decree nice, I have been ordered by the courts to pay half of the petitioners costs. I can ask for a detailed assessment if not agreed, with the warning of increasing costs. There is also the mention of payment required within 14 days!!

Where do I stand?

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Divorce costs.

Originally posted by Lees999 View Post
    Hi there,

I have been presented with a letter from the other parties solicitors, asking to pay half of her fees. I believed I had agreed to pay half the court costs only and not her solicitors bill. I did not instruct her solicitors at any time on my behalf and made that quite clear to both the solicitors and in the petition to the courts. Upon making of the decree nice, I have been ordered by the courts to pay half of the petitioners costs. I can ask for a detailed assessment if not agreed, with the warning of increasing costs. There is also the mention of payment required within 14 days!!

Where do I stand?

Many thanks.
    Your permitted to a break down of all the costs under law and if you're threatened with increased costs for doing so, argue that this is unreasonable conduct by the opponent solicitor as it would then defy the over-riding objective of fairness, according to Family Procedure Rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Lees999 View Post
      Hi there,

Where do I stand?

Many thanks.

Did you make the agreement with your ex in writing ? If not when discussing who was paying for the divorce was it in terms of court fee's or legal costs?
      made that quite clear to both the solicitors and in the petition to the courts
      How did you make that clear? If in the petition , where, and were you the petitioner or respondent ?

For example a court would usually rule in a divorce based upon 2 years separation by consent the respondent makes a contribution equal to half of the petitioner's costs. So it is likely if you argued the point and had nothing to the contrary in writing you would be made liable for half the costs.

Are the costs reasonable ? ( approx how much are they asking for ) Was a financial settlement part of it or just the divorce ? For an idea of general cost for a straightforward by consent divorce have a look here ->http://lbcompare.co.uk/family-and-re...ce-petitioner/ - the prices include VAT and court fees so should give you a good idea of what is proportionate.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for your response, I wrote to her solicitor, I am the respondent, agreeing to pay half of the court costs only. Thanking them for their kind offer, but I did not require or ask for their services. I was happy to do it myself. The total amount incl. court costs of £410 + their costs of £960, a total contribution of half the full amount of £685 asked for within 14 days. I mentioned on the petition to the court that I only agreed to pay half of the court costs only. I have not yet completed the clean break financial order, requested by her. Thank you for the link, costs seem reasonable then.

Many thanks.

Comment

Yes that does sound quite reasonable, however if you did only agree to the court cost not her solicitors fees then you should respond to the solicitor, with a copy of your original letter and statement on the petition, and a cheque? for your half of the court fee, in full settlement. Have you spoken to your ex about it at all ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thank you, i'll give it a go, hopefully I have a copy of the petition, if not I guess I can request one? My ex is very unreasonable, pregnant from her adulterous behaviour and has stopped me from seeing my 5 1/2 year old son, until a court order is obtained, and now has me up on a contrived nonsense common assault charge. She is out to get me!!!

Comment

Urrghhh, sorry to hear things are so horrid for you at the moment. Have you applied for a child arrangements order and do you have your own legal advice going forward with this ?
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X