• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jacobs bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs bailiffs

Can anyone help me with some advice please. I am the single parent of 6 children and 30 week pregnant with the 7th. I currently work 39 hours and claim a small amount of housing benefit and council tax benefit, I'm also a full time student and have just started early maternity leave due to ill health. I was slammed with an overpayment last year and an inflated council tax debt I couldn't afford. When enquiring about it they said it was due to my daughter being over 18 and no longer in full time education. She is in uni and only home a few weeks per year. I stated this then received around 5 bills in the same week which totally confused me. I asked for help from the local councils money advice service who haven't gotten back to me. A week ago I received a letter from Jacobs bailiffs stating I had to pay the debt in full within 7 days. I have no means to pay this so didn't respond. I emailed the council tax people at that time. On Monday I returned home from college to find a hand delivered letter from Jacobs saying I had 24 hours or they would commence removal. I again emailed the council as it was closed at this point, also contacted citizens advice bureau. I have not contacted the bailiff as I'm worried that contacting them will give them grounds for further proceedings, as yet I've not spoken to them, nor have they been in my home. I have had no response from the council yet. I returned from college last night to another hand delivered letter stating they would be back between 6-9pm for full payment. I literally drove round in the rain for 4 hours with my children as I was scared to be home incase they broke in and the kids had to witness it. They hadn't been when I got back, or there were no letters or sign of anyone trying to enter. They've added 235 of charges ontop of the debt I already had and I am beside myself with what to do about this situation. I literally have nothing of value, I was in a car crash two week ago and my car written off, after excess I only received 400 to replace my car, I now have a car which is worth nothing but even that I couldn't afford to lose as I need to be able to get the kids to school and myself to university come September. My baby is due in 7 weeks and I'm terrified.
    Tags: None

Re: Jacobs bailiffs

Originally posted by Pebbles521 View Post
    Can anyone help me with some advice please. I am the single parent of 6 children and 30 week pregnant with the 7th. I currently work 39 hours and claim a small amount of housing benefit and council tax benefit, I'm also a full time student and have just started early maternity leave due to ill health.

I was slammed with an overpayment last year and an inflated council tax debt I couldn't afford. When enquiring about it they said it was due to my daughter being over 18 and no longer in full time education. She is in uni and only home a few weeks per year. I stated this then received around 5 bills in the same week which totally confused me. I asked for help from the local councils money advice service who haven't gotten back to me.

A week ago I received a letter from Jacobs bailiffs stating I had to pay the debt in full within 7 days. I have no means to pay this so didn't respond.

I emailed the council tax people at that time. On Monday I returned home from college to find a hand delivered letter from Jacobs saying I had 24 hours or they would commence removal. I again emailed the council as it was closed at this point, also contacted citizens advice bureau.

I have not contacted the bailiff as I'm worried that contacting them will give them grounds for further proceedings, as yet I've not spoken to them, nor have they been in my home. I have had no response from the council yet. I returned from college last night to another hand delivered letter stating they would be back between 6-9pm for full payment. I literally drove round in the rain for 4 hours with my children as I was scared to be home incase they broke in and the kids had to witness it. They hadn't been when I got back, or there were no letters or sign of anyone trying to enter. They've added 235 of charges ontop of the debt I already had and I am beside myself with what to do about this situation.

I literally have nothing of value, I was in a car crash two week ago and my car written off, after excess I only received 400 to replace my car, I now have a car which is worth nothing but even that I couldn't afford to lose as I need to be able to get the kids to school and myself to university come September. My baby is due in 7 weeks and I'm terrified.
    I hope that you do not mind but I have broken your enquiry into separate paragraphs so that it is easier to read.

Firstly, you have mentioned that the bailiff fees are £235 but you have not mentioned how much the enforcement agent is seeking in total.

It is such a shame that you chose to ignore the initial correspondence from Jacobs. The Notice of Enforcement is a vitally important document because it must give the individual a period of 7 days in which to submit a payment proposal. This period of time is referred to as the 'compliance' period. It is also at this stage that any 'vulnerability' should be brought to the attention of the enforcement company. In your case, you are currently on maternity leave and due to have a baby in 7 weeks time. Accordingly, you will be considered 'vulnerable'.

When a 'vulnerable' person is identified, some enforcement companies may return the debt back to the council. However, what what usually happens, is that the enforcement company will remove the account from the individual enforcement agent and transfer the management of the account to their in house 'welfare teams'. Visits will then cease and an affordable payment arrangement can be set up.

Given your obvious 'vulnerability' I will get permission from a member of the admin team to allow me to send you a private message with the relevant details.

I will post back shortly.

Comment

Hi and Thankyou.
      The original amount was £354.23, they are now requiring £589.23. When I read the initial letter and it stated full amount payable within 7 days I panicked and contacted the council. I have emailed them twice more since, including this morning. Still no reply.

Comment

Have you told both the council and the bailiff that you are classed as vulnerable (being pregnant), as Milo suggested? That should bring some sort of response.

Comment

Yes on each occasion I stated to the council that I was pregnant and on maternity leave and wished to set up a weekly payment arrangement. I have not contacted the bailiff as yet

Comment

Part of the problem you have is in solely contacting the Council who are possibly not interested. It would certainly be worth contacting your local Councillor(s) and ask they intervene on your behalf Details of who to contact may be found @ https://www.writetothem.com/ best initial contact is by phone.

In my opinion your Councillors are available 7 days per week up until approx 9pm. If they are reluctant or refuse then g straight to the Leader of the Council and his opposite number.

Comment

I have just received word from milo^^ above, and after intervention from themselves my case has been sent back to the council. I really can't thank you enough. I'm so glad I came across this forum. It has literally saved my sanity.
              Once again, Thankyou so very much..

Comment

Great stuff, Thank you [MENTION=30402]Milo[/MENTION] xxx

Are you going to get in touch with the council and get a new payment plan sorted out with them?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I already have today. I'm just awaiting a reply now. Thankyou

Comment

I have just received word from milo^^ above, and after intervention from themselves my case has been sent back to the council.

I really can't thank you enough. I'm so glad I came across this forum. It has literally saved my sanity.
                    Once again, Thankyou so very much..
                    I was pleased to help and very pleased too that Jacobs Enforcement addressed your vulnerability very quickly and have agreed to return your account back to the council. As I mentioned in my email to you, all bailiff fees will now also be removed and the debt will revert back to £354.23 instead of £589.23.

I would not expect the council to be aware that your account has been returned until the early part of next week. It is vitally important that you contact them after the bank holiday weekend to get a payment arrangement set up.

Please update the forum with any news.

Comment

Once again Thankyou.
                      I have already sent them an offer of payment and set up the standing order with immediate effect. This way even if they argue about amounts I can still be paying and showing willing in the meantime. I certainly don't want to have to go through this again. As soon as they reply I will let you know. I have offered them 15.00 per week, I just hope that's acceptable.

Comment

Once again Thankyou.

I have already sent them an offer of payment and set up the standing order with immediate effect. This way even if they argue about amounts I can still be paying and showing willing in the meantime. I certainly don't want to have to go through this again. As soon as they reply I will let you know. I have offered them 15.00 per week, I just hope that's acceptable.
                        Excellent news. As the debt will now revert to £354, a payment proposal of £15 per week (approx £60 per month) is very reasonable indeed.

Comment

Well done for sorting this for the OP as usual the problem arises because when Bailiffs are used the average person thinks that's the final nail without knowing what they can do to remove or get a satisfactory payment plan in place.
                          Councils should inform the debtor od ALL the process and how they can deal with it and be prepared to accept payments that those who are vulnerable or unable to pay a large payment adding fees to a debt helps no one Council or debtor just enriching Bailiffs and their companies.

We need more Milos in this world and more people knowing that forums like LB are there

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Wales Man. They are very much appreciated.

Comment

I have been reading through this thread and have my own problem I would like to request some help and advice for.

I have a long standing relationship with Jacobs Bailiffs (at least it feels that way). For the last 6 years I have been the main breadwinner in our family, my jobs have not been well paid, my partner has been suffering very seriously with his Bi-polar disorder and all finances were left to me.

I have frequently had to deal with bailiffs about unpaid council tax, the first time I actually let them in the house. This is now paid off (many years ago) and since when I have had dealings with them its been on the doorstep. I have unpaid council tax, a claim for council tax benefit to be repaid as I never filled in a fresh claim when I changed jobs as I believed I would not be entitled, the council then decided that I should pay back all of that years benefit, and unpaid parking fines. I have set up payment plans with them, over the phone or on doorstep, I have even made payments to the bailiff over the phone, always trying to pay something. Last month they turned up at my new address, wanting 2900 or there abouts for unpaid council tax arrears and the unpaid parking fines. I asked for time to find some money and he said that was fine but I would have to pay a substantial amount as the Council just want money.

3 weeks went by, I had no money as paying off other owings and kids and their college university needs etc. This morning I returned from shopping to find him sat outside my house. He had been in the garden talking to my husband, who told him that if he came back, he would need the police with him as my husband would treat it as trespass. He waited for me, noted the number plate of my car and told me in not so friendly a way, that I had till Friday to find 580 or he would be returning for my car. I get paid on Friday, so can pay something, but not anywhere near 580! He has said once that is paid, I can make arrangements with him. I feel sick at the moment, I need my car to get to my job and drive my husband to appointments etc, but cannot find that kind of money with other bills to pay, what can I do?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X